Author Topic: 'Steampunk Palin' Comic More Insane Than You Imagined  (Read 902 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
'Steampunk Palin' Comic More Insane Than You Imagined
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:02:22 AM »
I forget where I found this; probably Instapundit.

Picture in your mind the most insane possible story that could be contained in a book named Steampunk Palin. Go ahead, take ten seconds or so to imagine it perfectly in your mind's eye. Use this cover image for help.

Got it? Good.

You're wrong. You're absolutely wrong. It's at least ten times more insane than that.

I'm not a big reader of fiction or comics, but I've heard of the "steampunk" genre.  Without having read any of those books, I suspect the reviewer is probably spot on in his description:

...steampunk, a literary genre that borrows the notions of cyberpunk and transplants them into an alternate history past or fantasy world, usually influenced by the works of H.G. Wells or Jules Verne. It's often characterized by the use of advanced technology substitutes reliant on non-electrical power, and a visual aesthetic heavy on intricately designed gearworks. Its popularity has reached a point where some enthusiasts enjoy dressing up in their own steampunk inspired costumes, and thus been fairly or unfairly labelled as "Goths who decided it might be fun to wear brown for a change."

On with the review:

This book is bad. There's no getting around that. How bad? Well, to be honest when my jaw wasn't dropping so hard I was worried for the safety of my downstairs neighbors, I was laughing pretty hysterically at the events of the 15-page story for reasons I'm going to go ahead and assume are not intended by the authors. Thus, I'm not afraid to declare Steampunk Palin to be so bad it's good.

If you consider yourself a devoted gatherer of such oddities, your collection is not complete without it. But that does not diminish the fact that this book is insane. By reading this book, I have become less sane. By having me relate this book to you, you have become less sane. By being printed onto paper, Steampunk Palin has made the world a less sane place than it was before.

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: 'Steampunk Palin' Comic More Insane Than You Imagined
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
Anyhoo, it gives me an excuse to link this:

John Hartford "Steam Powered Aereoplane"
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt