Author Topic: Paul G. Allen, Microsoft’s Co-Founder, Is Dead at 65  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Paul G. Allen, Microsoft’s Co-Founder, Is Dead at 65
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
Paul G. Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft who helped usher in the personal computing revolution and then channeled his enormous fortune into transforming Seattle into a cultural destination, died on Monday in Seattle. He was 65.

The cause was complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, his family said in a statement.

Read more here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/obituaries/paul-allen-dead.html

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Paul G. Allen, Microsoft’s Co-Founder, Is Dead at 65
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
I had worked at Microsoft as a contractor for 5 years when I got aced out of my plum job for a "blue-badge" (full-time employee). I applied for a position at "The Experience Project" - a museum of sorts named in honor of Jimi Hendrix. The parent company was called "Vulcan" and was one of Paul Allen's companies.

They were impressed with my resume and offered me a position at Vulcan. I sat four doors down from "The Paul" but only met him once. I hated it there as it was a "gilded cage" - tons of amenities and perks to cover for the fact that they owned you body and soul.

I only lasted four months.

The high point for me was the Christmas Dinner he put on.

He owned a hanger at King County Airfield that was large enough to hold three 737's. The moved the planes out and decorated the place like a first-class hotel. Upon entry, you walked into a greeting area featuring two huge stone fireplaces (how the heck did they do that?!) with hearths large enough for four people to stand in. They had three bars, each about 30 feet in length. As people arrived they received instructions on the coming events and had cocktails.

At a prearranged signal huge curtains were drawn back (and I mean HUGE! easily 25 feet tall and a good 40 feet wide) to reveal the dinner tables for about 400. I have never seen so much food iin one place. Dinner fit for a king.

After a leisurely dinner the signal rang out again and another similar set of curtains were drawn back revealing a nightclub with (again) three bars and a huge stage. Live music featuring Paul on guitar (he wan't very good but who was asking?) and dancing until I was worn out.

An absolutely first-cabin affair. I was dating at the time and my date was suitably impressed.

Rest in peace Paul, you sure put on one hell of a show....

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
Back in the days when you were going, "This IS the future I imagined!"

You don't say that much, anymore.

RIP to one of the guys that was making futuristic dreams happen.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:04:23 AM »
"...they owned you body and soul."

I can't handle that mentality.  I am self-motivated and need little oversight...I can't handle needy people or constant cheerleading and all that go-team-go BS...just stay the &%$# out of my way, let me do my job the right way and let me complete tasks and in one shot...few if any meetings...don't waste my time...and we'll be fine.

Honestly have little knowledge of Allen other than the short bio everyone knows...all I know is 65 is a bit young...especially since I am not far behind that mark...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I can't handle needy people or constant cheerleading and all that go-team-go BS

You are a ROCK STAR! Libertas.

::hysterical::

Female bosses are the worst...

Offline Syzygy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »
"... to reveal the dinner tables for about 400. I have never seen so much food iin one place. Dinner fit for a king...."

Sounds like he was doing a little "conspicuous consumption"  so his employees could,  too.  ;)  Brannif Airlines' old slogan:  "If you got it,  flaunt it."  Good on him.
Any whole roast pigs with apples in their mouths?   ::beertoast::