Author Topic: “The Haunting of Hill House” on Netflix  (Read 2975 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
“The Haunting of Hill House” on Netflix
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
I recently finished the 10-episode feature, “The Haunting of Hill House” on Netflix, and it impressed me enough to write about it here and recommend the heck out of it.

I remember reading the novel upon which it is based when I was a young teenager. This take by Netflix is different - uses the themes and outline of the book for a much more ambitious project.

I don’t wanna give away too much... The story bounces back and forth in time following events in the lives of the 5 Crain children; how their growing up in a haunted house manifests in their adult lives. The first couple episodes, you’re learning which little kids are which adults, if you take my meaning...

This is scary as hell, in a creepy, haunted house kind of way. No real gore, or gratuitous crap. One token lesbian character - standard nowadays it seems.

This is the last I’ll say without giving it away... The haunted house is a huge part of the story. But it also serves as a metaphor for the walls of self-protection we build around our lives that keep us imprisoned in our own “haunted houses”... whether it’s denial; control; mental illness; self-doubt; self-righteousness; drug addiction... the things we use to “protect” ourselves from the brutality of the real world end up imprisoning us in very real ways that harm relationship and keep us locked in the same patterns.

Enjoy this one. It’s like a ten-hour feature film, akin to “Band of Brothers” or “John Adams”. It might be the best thing I’ve ever seen on TV. It vaults into my top 5 screen experiences of all time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: “The Haunting of Hill House” on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
I may have to check it out. I figured it was just a gore fest.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:56 PM »
Boo!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:30 PM »
 foottapping ::ohno:: ::creepycryingbaby::  You scared me
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie