Author Topic: Ken Berry, 85  (Read 2516 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Ken Berry, 85
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
He always seemed like a real likable fella. Gave Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence a great character to bounce off. RIP.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ken-berry-dead-dies-f-troop-mayberry-r-f-d-1203071348/
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Ken Berry, 85
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »
There were two themes concurrent in Ken's acting: the kind, affable family man, and the self-effacing bumbler. The former was inviting but the later was irritating. His shows (especially F-Troop) were presented during a period in my life where I lacked the wherewithal to reason my way through the nuances but I recognize that (in terms of character building) these stereotypes helped shape my sense of self.

I found myself drawn to insult comedy instead of slapstick because I didn't care for the idea of being being made fun of or disrespected. Think Don Rickles or Paul Lynde. Better to dish it out than to take it.

Oh, and FTR: I couldn't stand Mama's Family

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »
I never watched an episode of “Mama’s Family” but I always chuckled when they’d bring out the skit on Carol Burnett.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:37:59 AM »
When I was very young Rickles confused me...he looked and sounded angry...but people were laughing...a little later on it clicked and I couldn't wait to see him on Carson or anywhere. 

Have no direct memory of Berry and F-Troop was one of the shows my big brother would follow...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »
Definitely a part of my childhood.  And I didn't know he was from the Quad Cities.

RIP