Author Topic: Cancun like other vacation spots not quite the draw they used to be  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
https://www.breitbart.com/border/2018/12/28/graphic-cancun-wraps-2018-with-at-least-540-homicides/

Murders and stumbling upon (rather easily) body parts not uncommon...sun, surf, food, drinks...murder and body parts...that travel brochure is full of adventure.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Cancun like other vacation spots not quite the draw they used to be
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »
Didn't IDP used to go there regularly?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
Really?  Yikes.  I know Monterrey, Mazatlan, Acapulco and Los Cabos experienced cartel violence first, seems to have moved south now.  They seem to favor sending messages bby hanging the bodies around like pinata's...I guess if they have time.  Past year or two Cancun and Playa del Carmen have seen spikes in murder.  They used to say that there is drugs and crime in Cancun but not dangerous, now the latter is obvious.  Mexico is plagued with corrupt politicians, crooked cops...and now the tourist industry which can account for almost 10% of the GDP is threatened and if they cannot get a grip on it they can kiss it goodbye.  Most likely outcome is for crooked politicians and crooked cops cutting a deal with kingpins to knock the crap off in the tourist towns...otherwise it probably won't happen.

I would avoid Mexico.  If compelled to sun and sand during the winter outside the US I would look to the Caribbean, some places to avoid there too and some more expensive than others...if I had to pick a spot to visit I think the BVI interests me the most.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
.. and Playa del Carmen have seen spikes in murder.

Playa de Carmen is where my lovely bride and I went for our 25th anniversary. The resort was really nice, the town (in the touristy part) was so-so. Out of the touristy part, it was a sh!thole.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
.. and Playa del Carmen have seen spikes in murder.

Playa de Carmen is where my lovely bride and I went for our 25th anniversary. The resort was really nice, the town (in the touristy part) was so-so. Out of the touristy part, it was a sh!thole.

Yeah, I favor places off the beaten path...but in some parts that can get ya in trouble.  Known a few who also hit PdC and liked it, really good snorkeling I hear.  I am happiest around water, with an adult beverage...and a cigar of course.