Author Topic: Political Departures  (Read 1784 times)

Offline fporretto

• Newb
  • Long Island's crazy libertarian-conservative
    • Liberty's Torch
Political Departures
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
In recent years, we have seen some rather high profile political figures shuffle off this mortal coil. Some, such as the late Ronald Reagan, are greatly mourned among conservatives; others, such as Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, and John Murtha, are missed perhaps a wee bit less.

I try to approach the demise of even a greatly and deservedly detested politician in a spirit of de mortuis nil nisi bonum. However, every now and then a quip will escape me, more or less against my Christian will. But I'm far from the first: Two quatrains from great writers seem appropriate.

Here richly, with ridiculous display,
The Politician’s corpse was laid away.
While all of his acquaintance sneered and slanged
I wept : for I had longed to see him hanged.

--Hillaire Belloc

Posterity will ne’er survey
A nobler grave than this:
Here lie the bones of Castlereagh
Stop, traveller, and piss.

--Lord Byron

Got any favorites of your own?
This post is programming you in undetectable ways.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Political Departures
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »
In recent years, we have seen some rather high profile political figures shuffle off this mortal coil. Some, such as the late Ronald Reagan, are greatly mourned among conservatives; others, such as Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, and John Murtha, are missed perhaps a wee bit less....

A wee bit, yes.  ::whoohoo:: ::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Political Departures
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson