Author Topic: I am going to need $350 ...and another $300 .....and about $85 for shipping  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
https://www.etsy.com/listing/578221494/leather-bound-lord-of-the-rings-complete?ref=shop_home_feat_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/600740707/leather-bound-the-chronicles-of-narnia?ref=listing-shop-header-1

He does custom work - and will bind any PDF.. so if I were to order a Lord of the Rings copy, you can bed I would be asking for Red Leather

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Red_Book_of_Westmarch

Tolkien's inspiration for this repository of lore was the real Red Book of Hergest, the early 15th century compilation of Welsh history and poetry that contains the manuscript of the Mabinogion.

So far I don't have any pictures of that one.. Probably not as cool as this one. 

But I would love to have him put "Bilbo and Frodo Baggins " on the spine and include a page like this:

Tolkien provides a "title page" inscribed with various titles that had been subsequently rejected; the final title is Frodo's:

My Diary. My Unexpected Journey. There and Back Again. And
    What Happened After.
        Adventures of Five Hobbits. The Tale of the Great Ring, compiled by
    Bilbo Baggins from his own observations and the accounts of his friends.
    What we did in the War of the Ring.

THE DOWNFALL
    OF THE
    LORD OF THE RINGS
    AND THE
    RETURN OF THE KING

(as seen by the Little People; being the memoirs of Bilbo and
    Frodo of the Shire, supplemented by the accounts of their friends
    and the learning of the Wise.)

Together with extracts from Books of Lore translated by Bilbo
    in Rivendell.[4]

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:56:49 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Throw in some incense to replicate the smells of the Shire, Mordor etc...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Throw in some incense to replicate the smells of the Shire, Mordor etc...

You makin' fun of me?

I already talked with the guy.. he tells me

THE DOWNFALL
    OF THE
    LORD OF THE RINGS
    AND THE
    RETURN OF THE KING

Won't fit on the spine  >:(

I went back and re-read the descriptions of the books and sources..

Want to add this to the back end pages...have it signed with the kings seal of the tree.

Findegil, King's Writer, finished this work in IV 172. It is an exact copy  in all details of the Thain's Book m Minas Tirith. That book was a copy,  made at the request of King Elessar, of the Red Book of the Periannath, and was brought to him by the Thain Peregrin when he retired to Gondor in IV 64.

Making it into a "Thains Book"  -  copied at Gondor, since of course the original Red Book of Westmarch wasn't preserved.  How could I possibly have a copy?
Further, the Red Book is described as having plain red leather covers, and well, that is boring.

Sadly..unless I provide him with a PDF , in a hand written font ( assuming he would take such copyrighted material) , the hobbit will not be included , and some Appendix material which shouldn't exist till it gets stored with the Tooks in the Shire,  will be included. ( I asked about his willingness and cost to do this.. though I suspect its very cost prohibitive)   Alternately I am  tempted to have "Vol 2"  printed on the Spine.. explaining at least, the lack of the Hobbit.

Not to mention the HarperCollins Title pages and publishing information, forward and so forth would be a dead giveaway. But still, I wish only to fool my grandchildren (god willing I have some)  and then only for a little while.. and maybe some careful page pulling would work :)
Then maybe next year I will order a copy of Narnia.

He does Harry Potter books too.. about $170 a pop.  Though it looks like he will  rebind any book you gave him from some of the projects. . 

Is it just me who find this guy's work gorgeous?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
As in most things I half jest...I like giving people options...

Seriously though, yeah, I like leather...and anything that looks olde and possibly filled with ancient secrets.  But, quality, especially now days isn't cheap.  You have to want it enough to cough up the scratch.

And yes, those are good looking bindings.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.