Author Topic: Selco A-W  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Selco A-W
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
https://geroldblog.com/2018/11/28/selcos-shtf-survival-lessons-part-1-a-to-b/
https://geroldblog.com/2018/12/05/selcos-shtf-lessons-part-2-c-to-f/
https://geroldblog.com/2018/12/12/selcos-shtf-survival-lessons-part-3-g-to-l/
https://geroldblog.com/2018/12/19/selcos-shtf-survival-lessons-part-4-m-to-r/
https://geroldblog.com/2019/01/23/selcos-shtf-survival-lessons-part-5-s-to-w/

Having finished, I can't saw I saw a lot I didn't expect, and much of his advise is based on a more urban/suburban scenario. He worries about water and wood fuel in ways that in a rural setting just won't be as critical.

The Survival Group and Rural/Urban ratio still remain the largest problems to my mind.
Of course ideally you have a group pre-SHTF, but we know that "like minded" individuals - even with family - are hard to find.

He says there is a brief period of co-operation which is then followed by people showing their true colors as they are hung over the volcano Shan Yu stlyle.
I think in more rural situations the people will be more resilient and  the important resources like food, fuel and water won't be such an issue, so  that may prevent the worst from coming out in some.

He also talks a lot about gangs - and how the most dangerous join them.. so it would seem the best chance of survival comes from. It seems the goal should be to use that period of co-operation to

1) Forming your own gang
2) Allowing it to safely  increase in membership
3) Building trust and camaraderie in members
4) Detecting betrayal and problem makers early , and disposing of them without creating divided loyalties
5) Managing outside perceptions of the group such that others see strength, but not threat.
6) Using your groups co-operation to disrupt other organizations and groups as they are forming

Of course, I really don't ave a lot of solid ideas on how to accomplish those goals. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:47:46 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Selco A-W
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
Whoa!  More reading material to digest in detail.

How...Off the top of my head...(Obviously requires more breakdown into strategies/methods):

1) Forming your own gang - Starts with family and others you trust, needs clearly defined roles leveraging recognized abilities not wishes/wants.
2) Allowing it to safely  increase in membership  - Yeah, this one could be tough, good vetting, multiple interviews, common agreement but I myself would want veto power.
3) Building trust and camaraderie in members - actions match words, common sense...goes a long way.
4) Detecting betrayal and problem makers early , and disposing of them without creating divided loyalties - Put me in charge of security, I am usually pretty good at sizing people up and have no problem with disposals.
5) Managing outside perceptions of the group such that others see strength, but not threat. - Outside, who?  Do I care about them?  If not in my group, they are either running a similar group but perhaps not running it in a manner I deem worthy of trust but perhaps there can be some wary trading and cooperating with them...or I want not a damn thing to do with them in which case what they think of me and mine I don't care about, as long as they know not to dick with me and mine.
6) Using your groups co-operation to disrupt other organizations and groups as they are forming - a kill them before they kill you or a infiltrate them first and then kill them scenario? 

I know I know...I gotta read the stuff.  I'll get there.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »

5) Managing outside perceptions of the group such that others see strength, but not threat. - Outside, who?  Do I care about them?  If not in my group, they are either running a similar group but perhaps not running it in a manner I deem worthy of trust but perhaps there can be some wary trading and cooperating with them...or I want not a damn thing to do with them in which case what they think of me and mine I don't care about, as long as they know not to dick with me and mine.
6) Using your groups co-operation to disrupt other organizations and groups as they are forming - a kill them before they kill you or a infiltrate them first and then kill them scenario? 

2-4) Really I need to develop some sort of test with a high percentage rate of sucess.  Gut feelz are nice, but under stress and survival, I suspect they are more unreliable. Espcially if you are dealing with people changing ( per Selco's suggestion they will)

#5 - Even among thieves reputation matters. In this case you are probably aiming for a reputation  that says " Cross us and you are dead, stay out of our way, and we can be trusted to stay out of yours."

#6) Its more a question of ensuring good resources find their way into your gang and not into hands that will make trouble for you and yours. The fewer rival factions,  the greater chance of hammering out turfs and working together to keep others muscling in on those areas once established.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:34:54 AM »

2-4) Really I need to develop some sort of test with a high percentage rate of sucess.  Gut feelz are nice, but under stress and survival, I suspect they are more unreliable. Espcially if you are dealing with people changing ( per Selco's suggestion they will)

#5 - Even among thieves reputation matters. In this case you are probably aiming for a reputation  that says " Cross us and you are dead, stay out of our way, and we can be trusted to stay out of yours."

#6) Its more a question of ensuring good resources find their way into your gang and not into hands that will make trouble for you and yours. The fewer rival factions,  the greater chance of hammering out turfs and working together to keep others muscling in on those areas once established.

Yeah, the biggest wildcard is the obvious one...everybody is going to be going through this and there will be so many factions, diverse groups, criminal enterprises, self-made oligarchs and tribal leaders, lone wolfs and God knows what and most will be winging it and learning as they go which means in the short-term a sh*tload of mistakes will be made and minimizing the fallout will by necessity be a high priority...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.