Topics > Economy

California to pull plug on 100 billion-dollar bullet train

(1/3) > >>

richb:
In a rare moment of sanity,  Gov. Gavin Newsom put a bullet in the idiotic high speed train. 

Figured California was going to build this stupid train come hell or high water.   

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-to-pull-plug-on-billion-dollar-bullet-train-cites-ballooning-costs

One section will be completed though,  since they don't want to return federal dollars.   So it will continue to suck tax money.

John Florida:
  I bet nobody goes to prison for theft.

richb:

--- Quote from: John Florida on February 12, 2019, 05:55:06 PM ---  I bet nobody goes to prison for theft.

--- End quote ---

That you can be guaranteed of.

Sounds like he pulled the plug,  not because it was stupid and costly but because it interferes with getting his pet plan done.  The single payer "health" system he wants to set up in California.

Syzygy:
I think whomever gave the reasons (in the video at link) for pulling the plug is being a bit disingenuous.  One reason given:  problems with land acquisition.  When has any government--state,  local,  or federa--had any problems acquiring land via eminent domain?

I read several years ago that the problem is with environmentalists' challenges to using the land for this specific purpose.  Plus,  the permitting process was being dragged out and unnecessarily cumbersome,  which would account for a lot of the cost overruns,  I'd think. 

Land acquisition?  I ain't buyin' it.  Environmental whackos jamming up the works?  Sounds more like California to me.  Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of nitwits.  Hoisted on their own petard.

Pandora:
Long time, no see, syz.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version