Topics > Science, Technology, & Medicine

Science vs Science Fiction

(1/2) > >>

Libertas:
These signals are real, their exact origin however is unknown.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/01/10/repeating-radio-bursts-detected-from-a-galaxy-1-5-billion-light-years-away/#698f469b4223

...now there is an internet conspiracy afoot involving the UN and some Rooskie scientist about a visit by a triangular-shaped UFO there is no clear evidence of that hovered over the Pentagon sometime last December that transmitted a signature matching the signature of the signal in the article - FRB 180814.J0422+73 that resides some 1.5 billion light-years away.

Uhh huh.

My skeptical mind has the same attitude about ET's as it does about Bigfoot etc...bag-n-tag ladies and gents, or it ain't real!   ;)

Solo:

--- Quote from: Libertas on February 22, 2019, 12:03:54 PM ---These signals are real, their exact origin however is unknown.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/01/10/repeating-radio-bursts-detected-from-a-galaxy-1-5-billion-light-years-away/#698f469b4223

...now there is an internet conspiracy afoot involving the UN and some Rooskie scientist about a visit by a triangular-shaped UFO there is no clear evidence of that hovered over the Pentagon sometime last December that transmitted a signature matching the signature of the signal in the article - FRB 180814.J0422+73 that resides some 1.5 billion light-years away.

Uhh huh.

My skeptical mind has the same attitude about ET's as it does about Bigfoot etc...bag-n-tag ladies and gents, or it ain't real!   ;)

--- End quote ---

Well....at long last...
Someone who thinks with their intellect and, therefore, doesn't conflate Science with Science Fiction!

No....we're not (nor have we ever) been visited by Extraterrestrials!  How do I know that?  Because "SCIENCE" tells me that the Speed of Light ("C") is a universal constant.  Moreover....no one has ever witnessed a phenomenon which might contradict that.

Einstein tells us that, as you approach the speed of light, the mass of any object increases towards infinity--thus requiring infinite energy to sustain its speed.

Ergo.....no faster than light travel!  No faster than light travel, then no extraterrestrials visiting the planet....nor are we ever going to visit theirs!  The distances are simply too vast!

That...is science.  To believe otherwise...is "faith"--not science!

Is there intelligent life somewhere else in the Universe?  Probably.  But...we're never going to meet them.

Libertas:

--- Quote from: Solo on April 09, 2019, 12:23:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Libertas on February 22, 2019, 12:03:54 PM ---These signals are real, their exact origin however is unknown.

Uhh huh.

--- End quote ---

Well....at long last...
Someone who thinks with their intellect and, therefore, doesn't conflate Science with Science Fiction!

No....we're not (nor have we ever) been visited by Extraterrestrials!  How do I know that?  Because "SCIENCE" tells me that the Speed of Light ("C") is a universal constant.  Moreover....no one has ever witnessed a phenomenon which might contradict that.

Einstein tells us that, as you approach the speed of light, the mass of any object increases towards infinity--thus requiring infinite energy to sustain its speed.

Ergo.....no faster than light travel!  No faster than light travel, then no extraterrestrials visiting the planet....nor are we ever going to visit theirs!  The distances are simply too vast!

Is there intelligent life somewhere else in the Universe?  Probably.  But...we're never going to meet them.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  Unless somebody finds a loophole...like a stable wormhole...again...about as likely as me getting a date with a supermodel...0.00000000000000000000000000001% chance...at best.

Alphabet Soup:

--- Quote from: Solo on April 09, 2019, 12:23:28 PM ---

Uhh huh.

--- End quote ---

Well....at long last...

--- End quote ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUNsN-0Lz4

LOL

IronDioPriest:
Just to play devil’s advocate... if there’s anything regarding the impossible that we DO know, it is that there are many, many things which heretofore were considered scientific impossibility which turned out to be very, very possible.

I don’t believe in ETs. But I don’t disbelieve in them either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version