Author Topic: Discovery set for Thursday February 24th launch  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Discovery set for Thursday February 24th launch
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
Here's a really good blog about all things space.  The link below goes to the thread about the current mission, but there are probably thousands of threads on this forum with countless links, photos, and videos.  Spend some time looking around the place if you're interested.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=23982.360

I found it at the end of December through a link at Transterrestrial Musings, and was dumbfounded.  The place is frickin' huge.  I'm registered there but I've only commented a few times.  Some of the members are actual aerospace engineers and even NASA employees!  So I'm a bit out of my league, and I mostly just lurk and learn.

Last week I watched an Ariane 5 launch a cargo mission to the ISS.  I probably wouldn't have even known about it in advance if it weren't for this site.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:57:22 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
From Libertas' NASA link:
The rotating service structure will be rolled away from Discovery at around 8 p.m. revealing it for the last time on the launch pad.

That's happening right now.  It's on NASA TV, but it moves very slowly so it doesn't look like much is happening.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html?param=public
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
If I recall, that thing has a max speed of 1 MPH, right?  Not bad for carrying that much mass.

Hopefully I get home in time to catch it on a live feed.  I like rockets.  Used to launch Estes all over creation when I was a kid, then got my nephews into it.   ::cool::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
NASA TV is still on.  It looks like the service structure is more or less fully retracted now.  It's been almost 1 1/2 hours since my last comment.

I used to launch Estes rockets too, but I tended to be more bookish and an indoor sort of person.  I preferred reading about rockets and building plastic models.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
I also liked to turn my rockets into ballistic missiles.  So I might never had been NASA material!  Air Force, maybe.   ::devil::

But I still like seeing stuff get launched.

I grew up during Apollo, and that was a good time to like rockets.  I had a model of the Saturn 5.  I still love the look of that rocket.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
Here's a time-lapse version of the NASA TV video of the service tower retracting.  Someone posted this at NASASpaceflight.com.

(ETA:  Actually, it's the other way around.  The forum member who made the video reposted it at Youtube, which is where I got the link.  This video originated at that site.  The Youtube site currently shows 40 views, so it's pretty fresh.)

STS-133 Space SHuttle Discovery RSS opening

That's an example of the cool stuff you can find there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:59:46 PM by rickl »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »
We used to douse the cheap rockets in kerosene and launch them while engulfed in flames. Not the most responsible behavior, and probably not a bad way to start a brush fire, but when you're 13 it's pretty awesome.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
We used to douse the cheap rockets in kerosene and launch them while engulfed in flames. Not the most responsible behavior, and probably not a bad way to start a brush fire, but when you're 13 it's pretty awesome.

I remember my father saying he used to build balsa wood airplanes and doing the same thing with them.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:42:44 PM »
Well, that sure was exciting.  I watched the launch live on NASA TV while following the launch thread at NSF.com  (35 pages of comments last I looked).

Everything went flawlessly except for a chipped tile near the hatch when the pad crew removed a piece of tape.  They fixed it with epoxy, and the countdown continued.  About 20 minutes before the scheduled launch time, Range Safety reported a computer problem.  They can't launch without an OK from Range Safety.  It was decided to continue the count until the 5 minute mark and then hold.  The problem was their launch window was only about three minutes long.  If it took longer than that to fix the problem, they would have had to scrub.

With about 45 seconds left, they finally got a Go to restart the count.  It seemed to take forever for them to get the clock started!   I was yelling at the screen:  "COME ON!  COME ON!"  They restarted the clock with 2 seconds to spare!

The launch went perfectly with the exception of a couple of pieces of what was probably foam coming loose from the tank.  The consensus at NSF is that it happened at a high enough altitude that it probably isn't a problem.  At low altitude, air resistance slows the foam quickly causing it to slam into the accelerating orbiter with great force.  At high altitude, there is little air to slow the foam and a foam strike isn't as severe.  Columbia's foam strike happened at low altitude.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »
I watched it live too. It was a beautiful launch. It was also sad, not just because it's the last mission for Discovery, but because all of its stablemates are also being retired without a viable replacement.

I have no doubt in my mind that Obama's hostility to NASA is motivated by his overwhelming need to dismantle all the conspicuous signs of American excellence and achievement. Now NASA is reduced to bumming rides from the Russians and conducting Muslim outreach.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
I watched it live too. It was a beautiful launch. It was also sad, not just because it's the last mission for Discovery, but because all of its stablemates are also being retired without a viable replacement.

The thing is, NASA's problems didn't start with Obama.  It was the Bush administration which set a timeline for the retirement of the Shuttle, following the Columbia disaster.  The Shuttle is using 1970s technology, and it is not readily upgradable or expandable.  It's overly complex and has been proven to be extremely fragile.  We need simpler, more robust manned spacecraft.  Constellation was supposed to be the follow-on program, but it was another insanely expensive government boondoggle.  Rand Simberg says that its schedule has been slipping by more than one year per year.  At that rate, it would never fly!

NASA was vibrant and dynamic back in the 60s when it was still young, had a hard deadline, and a nearly unlimited budget.  But those conditions could never last.  Now it's become just another inefficient government bureaucracy and a jobs program in some states.

The problem with government control of spaceflight is that goals and objectives are constantly changing with each new administration, making it impossible to make any real headway.  That's an inherent problem with political control and has nothing to do with Obama.  

I'm optimistic about our future in space, IF the free market is allowed to work.  We need a market-driven space industry, not a government-driven space program.  The key goal should be to reduce the cost per launch, and neither Shuttle nor Constellation--nor a resurrected Saturn V--will do that.

I have no doubt in my mind that Obama's hostility to NASA is motivated by his overwhelming need to dismantle all the conspicuous signs of American excellence and achievement. Now NASA is reduced to bumming rides from the Russians and conducting Muslim outreach.

I agree with that.  The "Muslim outreach" bit is especially bizarre.  It's the strongest evidence yet that he is either a Muslim himself or at least a Muslim sympathizer.

As for bumming rides from the Russians, SpaceX's Dragon is intended to begin flying human crews in three to four years.  Remember that we had a six-year gap between the last Apollo in 1975 (the Apollo-Soyuz flight) and the first Shuttle launch in 1981.  And back then, bumming rides from the Russians was not an option.  So don't despair!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:59:25 PM by rickl »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
Here's the video of the launch from NASA TV.  The foam strike (or whatever it was) occurs at about 4:43.

STS-133 Space Shuttle Discovery Last Launch
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
And here's Bill Whittle's Free Frontier video.  I linked it at the old site but the link was broken when I copied and pasted the text here.  It bears repeating, and this is a good place to repost it.

THE FREE FRONTIER
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »

It was the Bush administration which set a timeline for the retirement of the Shuttle, following the Columbia disaster.

...and he tried to get the Mars program running ...and before that was [Goldenrod] Golden ...and wasn't the shuttle only supposed to be and intermediary program ...and there were budget problems before that.
I don't think there has been a unified desire since Apollo. 

They need to send men to Mars. Right now.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
Heh.  I just left a comment at NSF.com.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24213.msg697461#msg697461

Note the comment that I was responding to:

This was fun.  There weren't any issues, problems, etc with the entire count and the Range issue.  We were all watching the clocks, watching our systems, listening to the loops, etc and then everything picked up with 2 seconds to spare.

I don't know who "OV-106" is, but he was clearly IN the Launch Control Center. 

That's why NSF.com is such a cool blog.

~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »
Thanks for posting the vid's, I've been fighting a bug since yesterday afternoon and missed the launch.  The Whittle vid is good too, the private sector is lapping NASA bureaucrats with ease.  They'll all be looking for private sector jobs soon, and many an administrator will be left without a chair when the music stops!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:09 AM »

and many an administrator will be left without a chair when the music stops!

We need the video?

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
Crap.  I forgot to watch the landing.  I was at work, and suddenly remembered it about ten minutes too late.

See this thread at NASASpaceflight.com, especially pages 15-17.  (It's up to 34 pages of comments now.)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24391.210

Discovery is the first Space Shuttle to be retired.  (Challenger and Columbia never made it to retirement.)

Discovery will become more than just a machine, soon. And when her APUs fall silent and 'chuff' no more... She will not have died. For Discovery has been infused for all time with the sentient echoes of so many engineers and the Astronauts who worked on her and lived in her, for so long. A very human Spirit of adventure has been instilled within Discovery now: from all the human laughter and joy, all the wonder, all the sweat and hard work that have propelled her missions.

Shuttle Discovery is a machine, yes. But soon she will rest, as all weary workhorses must rest. But the Spirit of Exploration within her will cause this workhorse to Dream, always of that bright and shining, sunlit place above the air and clouds where she once did roam.

Dreaming of still one more mission, one more sunrise, one more sunset, and the Billions of stars beyond...

Godspeed the crew of STS-133.

And Hail Discovery!!
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
The video of the approach and landing:

STS-133 Final Landing of Space Shuttle Discovery

Towards the end someone says that she spent a total of 365 days in orbit during her career.
~ Ann Barnhardt