Author Topic: Kansas governor eliminates state Arts Commission  (Read 1103 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Kansas governor eliminates state Arts Commission
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
LINK

The Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has vetoed state funding for the arts from the next state budget.

<snip>
Brownback took the action as he signed most of the $13.8 billion budget approved by legislators for the fiscal year beginning July 1.

Brownback also used his power to veto individual budget items to eliminate the commission's entire staff.

::cool::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Kansas governor eliminates state Arts Commission
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
 ::whoohoo::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
 ::doh::  ZOMG!  You mean to tell me some o' them are actually getting the idea?

Be still my racing heart.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
Bobby Jindal sure missed the memo.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »
The "Arts" is code language for urban enclaves of homosexuals, lesbians, and commie Leftists. Taxpayer funding of these enclaves has been sacrosanct for too long. It is right and good that we question who our money goes to support, and equally right and good that we should ensure that our money does no go to enemies of this country under the auspices of funding the "Arts" as if the term offers some immunity from scrutiny.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:12 AM »
All arts funding is, is welfare for people who don't want to work, and instead want to engage in their hobby 24/7.

And the dumbass' of Minnesota instituted a half percent sales tax to do just that.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
All arts funding is, is welfare for people who don't want to work, and instead want to engage in their hobby 24/7...

Pelosi's Medicine for Musicians?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:04 AM »
All arts funding is, is welfare for people who don't want to work, and instead want to engage in their hobby 24/7.

And the dumbass' of Minnesota instituted a half percent sales tax to do just that.

What are the odds that little Markie Dayton will have an mental breakdown during his term?  We should start a pool!  This butthead is several fries short of a Happy Meal and his leading by not leading style is going to blow up in his face.  Seriously, if not for Soros & Ritchie this asshat would be enjoying assisted living somewhere...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
When you see some of the sh*t that passes for art and is funded by these state comissions then it's easy to applaud the action of the governor .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
I'm in shock!!Is it possible that the lights are coming on? Now these wannabe Picasso's can start painting houses for a living.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
I'm in shock!!Is it possible that the lights are coming on? Now these wannabe Picasso's can start painting houses for a living.

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
Today is a good day. ::whoohoo::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:15 AM »
I'm no philistine, I believe culture is important -- I just don't believe in coercing other people to pay for it. And therein lies the rub, because most of the stuff that "depends" on public funding is subversive crap that doesn't offer enough of an intrinsic value to attract its own funding.

Whoever said something along the lines of "government is the fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else" sure nailed it. Who was that, Bastiat?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly