Author Topic: US Navy Ship Quarantined at Sea for mumps - all were vaccinated  (Read 3626 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The ship remains quarantined as officials with the Navy and Marines Corps Public Health Center conduct an in-depth epidemiological investigation.

... Every single person aboard the USS Fort McHenry has been vaccinated against this virus, yet dozens have been infected. Even after more booster vaccines were administered, more cases of the vaccine-preventable virus appeared.

“Since the onset of the first case, the ship’s medical department has implemented health protection measures, provided an additional outbreak-specific dose of vaccine to the crew, and managed patients to stop the spread of the illness,” BUMED explained.

However, after all the cases appeared to be over in March, several new cases began surfacing toward the end of last month. Luckily, all of the service members have made a full recovery and returned to normal duty.

The Navy wouldn't lie about the 100% vaccination rate, would they?  Or maybe all the not-vaccinated shaming hasn't taken into account that some of these diseases have mutated?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online WilliamVA

Re: US Navy Ship Quarantined at Sea for mumps - all were vaccinated
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »
The ship remains quarantined as officials with the Navy and Marines Corps Public Health Center conduct an in-depth epidemiological investigation.

... Every single person aboard the USS Fort McHenry has been vaccinated against this virus, yet dozens have been infected. Even after more booster vaccines were administered, more cases of the vaccine-preventable virus appeared.

“Since the onset of the first case, the ship’s medical department has implemented health protection measures, provided an additional outbreak-specific dose of vaccine to the crew, and managed patients to stop the spread of the illness,” BUMED explained.

However, after all the cases appeared to be over in March, several new cases began surfacing toward the end of last month. Luckily, all of the service members have made a full recovery and returned to normal duty.

The Navy wouldn't lie about the 100% vaccination rate, would they?  Or maybe all the not-vaccinated shaming hasn't taken into account that some of these diseases have mutated?

Hmmm!!  and all these vaccines come in little bottles filled with a clear liquid, colored or otherwise. 
Or, the vaccine is supplied preloaded in syringes....  What's the chance?  huh? loaded with sterile
water??  At least we pray it's sterile. 

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
I don't know how they do it today but I remember walking thru a line and getting shot in both arms with what seemed like an air gun. Came out bloody at the end of the line but I was now immune ::hysterical::

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
I don't know how they do it today but I remember walking thru a line and getting shot in both arms with what seemed like an air gun. Came out bloody at the end of the line but I was now immune ::hysterical::

I have a copy of my navy medical records....dozens of shots.   The boot camp stuff was mostly with the
air gun, except ye ole Bicillian, and the Flu shot.   I had the flu shot once by air gun at a station in
Georgia...lord did that hurt. 

Online Syzygy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »

I have a copy of my navy medical records....dozens of shots.   The boot camp stuff was mostly with the
air gun, except ye ole Bicillian, and the Flu shot.   I had the flu shot once by air gun at a station in

I still have scars on each arm (about 2mm deep and 2mm wide divots) from those airguns.  I remember marching back to the barracks in formation and everyone had a streak of blood on each arm's T-shirt sleeve soaking through.   

I don't know what all we were vaccinated for but I was under the impression mumps and measles' vaccines weren't available then.  Don't really know.  Once you have them,  you have natural immunity from then on,  I understand,  and I'd already had the measles.   But despite repeated exposure while young to many kids who had them,  including my 3 brothers,  I never contracted the mumps.  This used to be a bit of concern for me due to what they said back then if you got them after puberty--they could "fall on you".   No longer.  At my age I could use a little "stirring things up" down there,  if you know what I mean.   ;D  ::oldman::

I got my first flu shot in the service,  too,  but it was after I'd been at my permanent duty station for a couple years,  so it may have just become widely available then (about '73).  It was mandatory.  I was quite impressed with its efficacy and have tried to get one every year since.

Of interest to Latin buffs:  the word "vaccine" is derived from the Latin for "cow"--vacca (WAC-ca).   Supposedly, cows were the first recipients and guinea pigs for testing vaccines.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:09:16 AM »

I still have scars on each arm (about 2mm deep and 2mm wide divots) from those airguns.  I remember marching back to the barracks in formation and everyone had a streak of blood on each arm's T-shirt sleeve soaking through.   

I don't know what all we were vaccinated for but I was under the impression mumps and measles' vaccines weren't available then.  Don't really know.  Once you have them,  you have natural immunity from then on,  I understand,  and I'd already had the measles.   But despite repeated exposure while young to many kids who had them,  including my 3 brothers,  I never contracted the mumps.  This used to be a bit of concern for me due to what they said back then if you got them after puberty--they could "fall on you".   No longer.  At my age I could use a little "stirring things up" down there,  if you know what I mean.   ;D  ::oldman::

I got my first flu shot in the service,  too,  but it was after I'd been at my permanent duty station for a couple years,  so it may have just become widely available then (about '73).  It was mandatory.  I was quite impressed with its efficacy and have tried to get one every year since.

Of interest to Latin buffs:  the word "vaccine" is derived from the Latin for "cow"--vacca (WAC-ca).   Supposedly, cows were the first recipients and guinea pigs for testing vaccines.

I thought vacca looked familiar.   ::thumbsup::

I had no problem with the guns...pain over quickly...the one I remember hurting like a  ::cussing::  was the gamma-gobulin shot in the ass!  Good Lord did that hurt...I swear they hit bone and kept drilling!  And it kept hurting!  For the next few days felt sore like a lead ball in there.  Must have worked though...and I never got Hep-C.  And they hit me with that twice before deployments!

This case though sets off my BS detector...

I have shot records my mother gave me from when I was born all through school, my military record and everything since.  I've had 5 MMR related vaccines and the efficacy should be better not worse, though perhaps the "combined" MMR is an issue (in my day they were separate or paired, never the triple), but everybody on the ship?  Either the vaccine lot is contaminated (unlikely, or we'd hear more outbreaks), or just this ship's batch was corrupted (improperly stored/transported?), the germ mutated (somehow only for these folks?) or something else is at play here.  I'm wondering if there is some sort of bio-warfare was being tested here and it is an open question if the Op is run by friend or foe?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

I thought vacca looked familiar.   ::thumbsup::

I had no problem with the guns...pain over quickly...the one I remember hurting like a  ::cussing::  was the gamma-gobulin shot in the ass!  Good Lord did that hurt...I swear they hit bone and kept drilling!  And it kept hurting!  For the next few days felt sore like a lead ball in there.  Must have worked though...and I never got Hep-C.  And they hit me with that twice before deployments!

This case though sets off my BS detector...

I have shot records my mother gave me from when I was born all through school, my military record and everything since.  I've had 5 MMR related vaccines and the efficacy should be better not worse, though perhaps the "combined" MMR is an issue (in my day they were separate or paired, never the triple), but everybody on the ship?  Either the vaccine lot is contaminated (unlikely, or we'd hear more outbreaks), or just this ship's batch was corrupted (improperly stored/transported?), the germ mutated (somehow only for these folks?) or something else is at play here.  I'm wondering if there is some sort of bio-warfare was being tested here and it is an open question if the Op is run by friend or foe?

Wow!  Syg you guys had the mean ones..I din't remember any bleeding from the air gun.  The flu shot became widely available in 1945.
I think the use of vacca may have originated from Pasteaur's (sp) use of cowpox to prevent smallpox.  I guess!!   Prior to boot camp the only
vaccines I got were smallpox, and I was a polio pioneer.  The Salk system was given to 1 in 5 as I recall, my sister got gamma globulin,
I was one of the 1 out of 5.  My parents got a letter telling them I was a subject.   Oh how my syblings hated me when It bacame time
for them all to get the shots...including my sister (yippee).  As a child I measles (red and german), mumps, and chickenpox.

As far as bootcamp shots I remember Smallpox, Yellow fever, flu, a version of DPT (which included Salk), multiple patch tests for
TB, the Bicillian (double penicillin), typhoid, and Cholera, that's what I remember.   During my first 14 months in the Navy, I was
at 5 commands, 4 of them gave me the flu shots.  The 6th command, Subic tried to give me a flu shot, and I objected and actually
got listened to.  Still they got me for Cholera twice a year thereafter.  Heading into Nam, I got the typhoid, cholera, and a 3 shot
series for Plague, and guess what?  flu   lol. 

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
We were both in the Corps ::beertoast::

Online Syzygy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:41 AM »
We were both in the Corps ::beertoast::

And it was Navy personnel who gave us the airgun shots.  The Navy vets here say "no problem" and us Marine vets say they "hurt like a sombitch".  Sorta makes you scratch your head and go,  "Hmmmmm...",  don't it?   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
Next thing you know a dogface will chime in with a ranger the eff up for all of us!   ;D

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
Next thing you know a dogface will chime in with a ranger the eff up for all of us!   ;D

::hysterical::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 08:04:49 PM »
It is prolly good that this happened in such a controlled environment. It should not be hard to get to the bottom of it. When I was younger there were no measles vaccines. In 6th grade some girl got them and the science teacher told all the girls to go over to visit her and catch it. If women get it when pregnant it can be real bad.

My ex wife got chicken pox as an adult. They treated her like she had the plague. They cleared out part of the waiting room and brought her in through the back door.

Interesting history on smallpox vaccinations.  They were done before Jenner. China and Turkey, but using different more dangerous methods.
Also, I read the moldy bread was used to treat infected wounds long ago.
https://youtu.be/pg-Nz_A6TbE
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »
Smallpox is hideous, the bug itself is dark and nasty looking, it's effects are hideous...everything about it was nasty...no doubt it was one of the great scourges of mankind, Jefferson's take is on target.  I had Chickenpox as a kid, a touch of Bronchitis and that's about it, thank God.