Topics > Science, Technology, & Medicine

US Navy Ship Quarantined at Sea for mumps - all were vaccinated

(1/3) > >>

Pandora:
The ship remains quarantined as officials with the Navy and Marines Corps Public Health Center conduct an in-depth epidemiological investigation.

--- Quote ---... Every single person aboard the USS Fort McHenry has been vaccinated against this virus, yet dozens have been infected. Even after more booster vaccines were administered, more cases of the vaccine-preventable virus appeared.

“Since the onset of the first case, the ship’s medical department has implemented health protection measures, provided an additional outbreak-specific dose of vaccine to the crew, and managed patients to stop the spread of the illness,” BUMED explained.

However, after all the cases appeared to be over in March, several new cases began surfacing toward the end of last month. Luckily, all of the service members have made a full recovery and returned to normal duty.
--- End quote ---

The Navy wouldn't lie about the 100% vaccination rate, would they?  Or maybe all the not-vaccinated shaming hasn't taken into account that some of these diseases have mutated?

WilliamVA:

--- Quote from: Pandora on April 24, 2019, 12:02:09 PM ---The ship remains quarantined as officials with the Navy and Marines Corps Public Health Center conduct an in-depth epidemiological investigation.

--- Quote ---... Every single person aboard the USS Fort McHenry has been vaccinated against this virus, yet dozens have been infected. Even after more booster vaccines were administered, more cases of the vaccine-preventable virus appeared.

“Since the onset of the first case, the ship’s medical department has implemented health protection measures, provided an additional outbreak-specific dose of vaccine to the crew, and managed patients to stop the spread of the illness,” BUMED explained.

However, after all the cases appeared to be over in March, several new cases began surfacing toward the end of last month. Luckily, all of the service members have made a full recovery and returned to normal duty.
--- End quote ---

The Navy wouldn't lie about the 100% vaccination rate, would they?  Or maybe all the not-vaccinated shaming hasn't taken into account that some of these diseases have mutated?

--- End quote ---

Hmmm!!  and all these vaccines come in little bottles filled with a clear liquid, colored or otherwise. 
Or, the vaccine is supplied preloaded in syringes....  What's the chance?  huh? loaded with sterile
water??  At least we pray it's sterile. 

paulh:
I don't know how they do it today but I remember walking thru a line and getting shot in both arms with what seemed like an air gun. Came out bloody at the end of the line but I was now immune ::hysterical::

WilliamVA:

--- Quote from: paulh on April 24, 2019, 12:35:22 PM ---I don't know how they do it today but I remember walking thru a line and getting shot in both arms with what seemed like an air gun. Came out bloody at the end of the line but I was now immune ::hysterical::

--- End quote ---

I have a copy of my navy medical records....dozens of shots.   The boot camp stuff was mostly with the
air gun, except ye ole Bicillian, and the Flu shot.   I had the flu shot once by air gun at a station in
Georgia...lord did that hurt. 

Syzygy:

--- Quote from: WilliamVA on April 24, 2019, 04:22:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: paulh on April 24, 2019, 12:35:22 PM ---I don't know how they do it today but I remember walking thru a line and getting shot in both arms with what seemed like an air gun. Came out bloody at the end of the line but I was now immune ::hysterical::

--- End quote ---

I have a copy of my navy medical records....dozens of shots.   The boot camp stuff was mostly with the
air gun, except ye ole Bicillian, and the Flu shot.   I had the flu shot once by air gun at a station in
Georgia...lord did that hurt.

--- End quote ---

I still have scars on each arm (about 2mm deep and 2mm wide divots) from those airguns.  I remember marching back to the barracks in formation and everyone had a streak of blood on each arm's T-shirt sleeve soaking through.   

I don't know what all we were vaccinated for but I was under the impression mumps and measles' vaccines weren't available then.  Don't really know.  Once you have them,  you have natural immunity from then on,  I understand,  and I'd already had the measles.   But despite repeated exposure while young to many kids who had them,  including my 3 brothers,  I never contracted the mumps.  This used to be a bit of concern for me due to what they said back then if you got them after puberty--they could "fall on you".   No longer.  At my age I could use a little "stirring things up" down there,  if you know what I mean.   ;D  ::oldman::

I got my first flu shot in the service,  too,  but it was after I'd been at my permanent duty station for a couple years,  so it may have just become widely available then (about '73).  It was mandatory.  I was quite impressed with its efficacy and have tried to get one every year since.

Of interest to Latin buffs:  the word "vaccine" is derived from the Latin for "cow"--vacca (WAC-ca).   Supposedly, cows were the first recipients and guinea pigs for testing vaccines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version