Author Topic: Most exciting two minutes in sports...just dragged on for 22 minutes more  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The 145th Kentucky Derby I think will be an item of discussion for some time.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/kentucky-derby/2019/05/04/kentucky-derby-2019-country-house-wins-after-disqualification/1105197001/

Did the colt get spooked by the loud boisterous crowd at Churchill Downs?  Sure, it happens, and past races in the Triple Crown have had a little bumping and drifting.  But big-time horse races are not NASCAR...even NASCAR isn't NASCAR anymore with their cookie-cutter cars and intolerant rules...but Maximum Security did drift out 2-3 lanes coming out of the last turn for the stretch run.  The debate is was that enough to influence the outcome of any of the horses involved, and make it possible for a long-shot making the objection who looked to be finishing second no matter what the winner by bringing in the stewards?

I agree with President Trump (see next link) the best horse did not win.  If anybody had a beef it was War of Will of the three primarily impacted, other horses were barely impacted IMO, but War of Will didn't look to have much left and the other two were spent.

I had nothing on the outcome, I saw the big field as wide open and didn't think Mr.Perfect had a chance on an off track slopping it out with so many...but I didn't expect this outcome.  I picked the Baffert trio, and would have lost anyway.  The best horse did not win, but rules are rules and now that this one was enforced horse racing will not ever be the same again...the precedent has been set, regardless of the magnitude of the race, interference is interference, they have to call them all now or risk killing what is left of the Golden Goose...and the ones bearing the brunt right now are handicappers and odds-setters...factoring in probability of committing an infraction will be a new criteria to adapt to.

Onwer weighs an appeal of the stewards decision...but those odds are the longest possible, I would pass.

https://apnews.com/274ee77317d249e3ac2daa3ccb2c604c

I would race him again.  And I would not replace the jockey, he should not bear the brunt of the blame...they should all share it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/05/04/kentucky-derby-2019-maximum-security-robbed-racing-takes-another-hit/1105796001/

The way things are going betting on PETA to shut down horse racing entirely cannot be too far behind.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online paulh

• Established Member
Rules are rules and it shouldn't matter if it's the Derby or the 6th race at Monmouth Park. Jock blew it at the turn. Had to laugh at all the commentators saying it should go to the best horse ::facepalm::

Online WilliamVA

If it took the stewards that long to review the tape, and make the decision, then they saw something.

Country House might not have been the best horse, however, he did finish second in spite of the
bump and run...Long Range Toddy's jockey also filed a complaint. 

To be continued at the Preakness.

Online paulh

• Established Member
I never saw a bump, some legs damn close to getting tangled yeah, glad they pulled back. No triple crown this year

Online WilliamVA

Rules are rules and it shouldn't matter if it's the Derby or the 6th race at Monmouth Park. Jock blew it at the turn. Had to laugh at all the commentators saying it should go to the best horse ::facepalm::

Lol, makes you chuckle...."the best horse"  Neither the KD or the Preakness are long enough to pick the best
horse.  Wait for the Belmont, mile and a half.   Figure this, Country House was a long shot, based on the AP
picture above, if there had been no bumping he could have likely finished second or third.  Finishing second
after the bump and run indicated he had the wind regardless. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
If it took the stewards that long to review the tape, and make the decision, then they saw something.

Country House might not have been the best horse, however, he did finish second in spite of the

As soon as I heard the stewards were looking I thought "oh oh" then I saw the one point her finger somewhat authoritatively I thought...and then I knew they were going to do it.

It is what it is.  There are still races to run and money to win...life goes on.  All this did was set a bar, we'll see if it is followed.  Also, expecting a 90 pound jockey to control a 1000-1100 pound tempestuous animal for two minutes at full-stride every inch of the way is not as easy as it may look...but the training and the jockey's are better now, pile ups largely a thing of yesteryear.

Online WilliamVA

Just a note, in 1972 Secretariat was disqualified from first place, to second, at the Champaigne Stakes, at the Belmont Racetrack.
He was disqualified for interference. 

As soon as I heard the stewards were looking I thought "oh oh" then I saw the one point her finger somewhat authoritatively I thought...and then I knew they were going to do it.

It is what it is.  There are still races to run and money to win...life goes on.  All this did was set a bar, we'll see if it is followed.  Also, expecting a 90 pound jockey to control a 1000-1100 pound tempestuous animal for two minutes at full-stride every inch of the way is not as easy as it may look...but the training and the jockey's are better now, pile ups largely a thing of yesteryear.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Just a note, in 1972 Secretariat was disqualified from first place, to second, at the Champaigne Stakes, at the Belmont Racetrack.

In this butthurt snowflake pc society of today...a Secretariat would be banned from competing just for looking intimidating.

Online WilliamVA

In this butthurt snowflake pc society of today...a Secretariat would be banned from competing just for looking intimidating.

Yep! probably would have disqualified him for running too many lengths (31) ahead in the Preakness.   Prolly cause say he was
racist cause he was flaunting the fact that Red horses are faster.       ::rolllaughing::