Author Topic: Gonna need $600. Maybe  (Read 496 times)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Gonna need $600. Maybe
« on: July 15, 2022, 07:50:23 AM »
https://startrek.tomy.com/enterprise.html#contribute-for-reward

So Tomy is crowdfunding a 350:1 scale 32" long  Die cast Replica of the TOS Enterprise to be delivered next year.
They may or may not make the crowd fund goal -- they already lowered the number of required  backers from 5000 to 2500 and extended the campaign by a couple of weeks.
They are doing a crap job of marketing it as well - All the "toy guys" I follow on the you tubes haven't covered it, and I saw it based on a FB ad.. who uses FB anymore?
And at a price of $600 a lot of people are going to think- yeah that is $600 I can use for food or gas and aren't looking for a new luxury geek toy.
I wasn't either, but the thing is beautiful. They appear to have tried to really copy the 11 foot model in the Smithsonian as well as could be done , and similar models in the past have sold for more, and of course became more valuable over time.     the previous time a company did a model this  size they sold it originally  for $1200 and  on the rare occasions they come up for sale they are $5000-7000. I am seriously considering ordering a second so I can sell it and pay for both..I suspect by the time it is delivered ( assuming its made)  it will already have doubled in price.

But check it out.. (but be aware the nacell lights appear purple because of the cameras they were using - they have other videos posted where they are screen accurate) 

But rotating Nacells,  flashing formations lights, working shuttle bay

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Gonna need $600. Maybe
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:59:13 AM »
…if only I had a place to put it…
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 12:01:10 PM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 08:40:34 AM »
Mmm, I'll pass...

I'll save a few bucks and get something I can actually fly...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JGYF5W1/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=cultofdrone-20&linkId=92f1e91a3563110a13d202073076d981&language=en_US

Drone tech isn't quite where i need it yet. I  really want a open platform, running on a Raspberry Pi or similar , that I can set waypoints into and capable of carrying various payloads besides a camera. I really want it to just fly circuits, detect people and if armed illuminate the target with a laser - possibly blinding it as well.

The DJIs are good drones  but the tech keeps advancing -- the DJI 3 is far superior.. and a really good drone still runs you  $1500

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 09:57:22 AM »
Mmm, I'll pass...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JGYF5W1/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=cultofdrone-20&linkId=92f1e91a3563110a13d202073076d981&language=en_US

Drone tech isn't quite where i need it yet. I  really want a open platform, running on a Raspberry Pi or similar , that I can set waypoints into and capable of carrying various payloads besides a camera. I really want it to just fly circuits, detect people and if armed illuminate the target with a laser - possibly blinding it as well.

The DJIs are good drones  but the tech keeps advancing -- the DJI 3 is far superior.. and a really good drone still runs you  $1500

All true....but gotta start somewhere.

Ideally, a drone fleet would be ideal, as far as perimeter observation goes...that just increases cost though...and the need for a lot of batteries, charging and audible push alerts for detection of people or machinery on land, water or air...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
Mmm, I'll pass...

All true....but gotta start somewhere.

Ideally, a drone fleet would be ideal, as far as perimeter observation goes...that just increases cost though...and the need for a lot of batteries, charging and audible push alerts for detection of people or machinery on land, water or air...

::facepalm::

These popular products are cost-effective, easy to fly and operate, and send every byte of data they gather to servers in China.
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/national-security-threat-chinas-eyes-america

::cussing::

Kills that idea.

Where are American producers?

::cussing:: gave Chi-Com's all our  ::cussing:: manufacturing!

::outrage::