Author Topic: SCOTUS endorses Double Jeopardy  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
SCOTUS endorses Double Jeopardy
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
The Ginsborg...if indeed that is the Ginsborg...has sh*t reasoning...but in lock-step with the fascist all-power central government template they get juicy over...I find the reasoning of Gorsuch much more Foundationally sound - Gorsuch pointed to historical interpretations, including those from when the Fifth Amendment was adopted in 1791, which "suggested that a prosecution in any court, so long as the court had jurisdiction over the offense, was enough to bar future reprosecution in another court."  "A free society does not allow its government to try the same individual for the same crime until it’s happy with the result," he said.  I understand the Alito "two sovereigns" concept and would in all other cases endorse it...but in latter-day America rife with corruption and abuse of power (look no further than politically-driven NY and their blind lust and fury to go after Manafort and then Trump!) allowing double jeopardy makes it easier for the corrupt to get more than one shot at a target...and doesn't it upend the fricken Court's precedence for establishing Federal supremacy in most all other cases?  Their appeal to dual sovereigns in this instance is an exception I do not trust.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-ruling-deals-potential-blow-to-paul-manafort-as-he-battles-state-charges
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.