Author Topic: Eye Glasses  (Read 2977 times)

Online paulh

• Established Member
Eye Glasses
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »
Anyone have their lenses develop a glaze all of a sudden? Seems to scratch off some with fingernail and glitters. Saw a you tube  about removing coating with "armour etch" but not sure.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Eye Glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 01:13:07 PM »
I presume said lenses are multi-coated, I have not experienced a glaze every myself...closest to that might be a minor frosting...which I thought was probably something (contaminants in rainfall, residue from my fingers from who-knows what...) usually a gentle cleanser and soft cloth or premium non-scratch wipe took care if it...I saw it more on my oldest pair of transition lenses I keep at the lake and get all manner of abuse and crud...now these many years later it is like frayed patches of failed coatings has taken hold and do not go away but is not severe enough to prevent adequate use for abusive needs.

I suspect it all comes down to the manufacturer and their process and materials.

Since most domestic manufacturers run so expensive I've opted for using Zenni now for several years and I get decent glasses for 1/5th the cost and so far no lemons.

Not sure I would do etching...it's acidic...and unless you want to apply it across the full surface of each lens to strip away contaminants and coatings...at best it will make a naked set of lenses without any coatings and limited application.

If you proceed maybe try it out on an old set of lenses you have or can find.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
Plastics lenses? I had that happen to a pair of plastic lenses once, and determined that it was likely sunscreen, and unfortunately, it ruined the glasses.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:02:13 PM »
My last pair I was talked into coating them with something.  Anti-glare, maybe?  Now it's peeling off.  I'll pass on that, next time.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
Plastics lenses? I had that happen to a pair of plastic lenses once, and determined that it was likely sunscreen, and unfortunately, it ruined the glasses.

Mosquito repellent also messes up plastic lenses.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson