Author Topic: Rutger Hauer, 75  (Read 22624 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Rutger Hauer, 75
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »
Bummer... he was so awesome in a few really iconic roles - Roy Batty in Blade Runner among my favorite movie roles of all time. He’s one who never seemed to really reach his full potential as a huge star, in my opinion...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rutger-hauer-died-blade-runner-actor-dead-age-75-roy-batty-cause-of-death-short-illness-2019-07-24/
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Rutger Hauer, 75
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 05:18:25 AM »
Ya.  He ended up basically a star of B movies, after awhile.  A shame, as "Rutger Hauer" will sell a movie to me more than any of the current generation of stars.

RIP

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
Yeah he had some B movies, had some good feature roles...Roy Batty certainly stands out. 

R.I.P.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
Always enjoys his movies. RIP.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Even if it was low budget, Hauer could elevate whatever he was in.  Just watched Hobo With a Shotgun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640459/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_54

An over the top spoof of grindhouse films.  Bonus points for reuniting with Brian Downey, aka Stanley Tweedle from Lexx.

Which reminds me of a bit of personal trivia.  It was the appearance of Rutger Hauer in Season One that turned me on to Lexx, one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
I also liked him in Wedlock.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown