Author Topic: Santorum: I'm in.  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: Santorum: I'm in.
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
Even Reagan , God bless him , made compromises in the face of reality . He , above all others , knew the necessity of deal-making in politics . He just refused to give away the store .

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
Even Reagan , God bless him , made compromises in the face of reality . He , above all others , knew the necessity of deal-making in politics . He just refused to give away the store .

He should have left a how to book for dummies.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »

He should have left a how to book for dummies.

He was the book.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
We need to remember that if complete and unswerving purity to a single ideology wins elections , then Ralph Nader would have been President years ago .

Yeah, but Ralph was nuts, everybody thought he was nuts (even many on the left) and was widely seen as a single issue guy, I don't think the comparisson is valid.  One could also argue (and I think successfully) that Reagan was unswerving in his ideology...didn't seem to stop him from kicking ass...and like Sarah he was lit up by the media, the democrats and many in the GOP for several years running before he won the nomination in 1980.

Our enemies might be crazy, but they are not stupid...bright in a wicked way...they do not attack people because they think attacking them is in the best interest of the nation, that they are doing us some sort of public service...they attack those they hate and fear, whoever threatens the establishment, the Ruling Class and the progressive march...whoever instills the most hate and fear into my enemy IMO has to be someone worthy of support, period.  Everybody else is second-tier or pretenders.
::USA::

This election is for the heart and soul of the nation.
If we elect a 'get-a-long' the Republic is history.
It's time for a revival of the Republic.
Nail the bawls to the wall.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »

He didn't run on a platform of compromise or answer many questions with "I dunno, I'll get back to you after I figure out what the right answer is".  Deal-making after your elected is one thing, and every "deal" he did was with the goal in mind of advancing conservative (his!) ideals.  Annual appropriations aside, he was enormously successful, and with a hostile opposition congress!  he got them to compromise a hell of a lot more than they got him!  If you recall, it was the dem's who backslided on their deficit promises and caused the debt of that era, Reagan won all the other battles.

I guess I am foolish to think that can ever be replicated ever again, maybe it won't, but it is the template to aim for.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »

He didn't run on a platform of compromise or answer many questions with "I dunno, I'll get back to you after I figure out what the right answer is".  Deal-making after your elected is one thing, and every "deal" he did was with the goal in mind of advancing conservative (his!) ideals.  Annual appropriations aside, he was enormously successful, and with a hostile opposition congress!  he got them to compromise a hell of a lot more than they got him!  If you recall, it was the dem's who backslided on their deficit promises and caused the debt of that era, Reagan won all the other battles.

I guess I am foolish to think that can ever be replicated ever again, maybe it won't, but it is the template to aim for.

We can try but we can't get stuck on it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »

[blockquote]
If you recall, it was the dem's who backslided on their deficit promises and caused the debt of that era, Reagan won all the other battles.

[/blockquote]

Reagan said he intended to do three things, only three things, and all his activity was directed to their accomplishment.  This conversation would be enriched by that quote.   ::gaah::  I cannot remember enough of it to cue it in Bing or even Goolge.   ::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
We need to remember that if complete and unswerving purity to a single ideology wins elections , then Ralph Nader would have been President years ago .

Yeah, but Ralph was nuts, everybody thought he was nuts (even many on the left) and was widely seen as a single issue guy, I don't think the comparisson is valid.  One could also argue (and I think successfully) that Reagan was unswerving in his ideology...didn't seem to stop him from kicking ass...and like Sarah he was lit up by the media, the democrats and many in the GOP for several years running before he won the nomination in 1980.

Our enemies might be crazy, but they are not stupid...bright in a wicked way...they do not attack people because they think attacking them is in the best interest of the nation, that they are doing us some sort of public service...they attack those they hate and fear, whoever threatens the establishment, the Ruling Class and the progressive march...whoever instills the most hate and fear into my enemy IMO has to be someone worthy of support, period.  Everybody else is second-tier or pretenders.

You can tell you're over the target by the flak you're taking.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »

We can try but we can't get stuck on it.

Exactly . Reagan never got stuck on a point of ideology to his detriment . If we look for the pure idealogue who fullfills our every requirement we're going to be not only disappointed ... We'll get killed next November .

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 06:25:09 AM »
" If we look for the pure idealogue who fullfills our every requirement we're going to be not only disappointed ... We'll get killed next November "

But we need someone with core principles.
That person can win if they can deliver the message

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »
" If we look for the pure idealogue who fullfills our every requirement we're going to be not only disappointed ... We'll get killed next November "

Principles go a long way, that would be refereshing!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

::bashing::

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »

That's tha problem who with principles would want to go through the he!! it takes?
 ::gaah:: ::praying::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow