Author Topic: Reactions to Confederate Soldier statue’s removal swift, mixed  (Read 822 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
PITTSBORO — The moment, around 2 a.m. Wednesday, a work crew took down the Confederate statue from atop the concrete pedestal on which it has stood at the Historic Chatham County Courthouse since 1907, a crowd of about 20 onlookers pining for its removal let out a cheer, witnesses said.

But as news of the statue’s fate — county officials say the metal Confederate solider was “safely and respectfully” dismantled and its components, statue and pedestal, taken to an unspecified “safe location” — spread throughout the morning, reactions were more mixed.

Turning to social media, some county residents applauded the county’s late-night removal, while others mourned.
“Well done,” posted one supporter on Facebook.
“Looks a whole lot better this morning,” another posted on the social media platform.
One of those expressing unhappiness with the statue’s removal called what happened overnight a “disgrace.”
“Sad,” one Facebook post read. “Another piece of history gone.”
“So wrong,” said another. “Embrace history and learn from it.”

... “The last several months have been a painful time for Chatham County,” Chatham County Board of Commissioners Chairman Mike Dasher said in the press release. “We’ve experienced high emotions, division and even violence which have impacted residents, businesses and the overall feel of our community. What’s clear now is that the overwhelming majority of our residents are eager to move forward.”

“For me,” said Mark Barroso, a Chatham resident supportive of the statue’s removal who spoke with the Chatham News + Record Wednesday morning, “it feels like a new day in Pittsboro.”
“It’s a small step forward in Chatham County becoming the community we want it to be, which is one where everyone is welcome,” said Barroso, who has worked with the activist group Chatham For All in supporting the statue’s removal.
“I feel great about it."

While Barroso was not among the small crowd gathered near the courthouse in the wee hours Tuesday night and Wednesday morning to witness the divisive monument coming down, in the light of day Wednesday, he observed the bare slab of concrete where the monument, hours earlier, had stood.

“It’s interesting,” Barroso said. “My first feeling was it looked kind of empty, and promising all at the same time. Those are contradictory things, but to me it looks like a new start.”
Barroso said his issue with the monument had largely been about its placement at a highly-visible spot on county-owned property..
“It was about prominence, for me,” he said. “What do we want to represent us as a county? I’d like that symbol to be inclusive of all people.”
The statue removal process began just before 11 p.m.

https://www.chathamnewsrecord.com/stories/reactions-to-statues-removal-swift-mixed,3984

Friggin cowards; they had to do it in the dark of night.  And that totalitarian Barroso can KMA with his "new start/inclusive" bullspit.

God forgive me, I HATE these people.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Reactions to Confederate Soldier statue’s removal swift, mixed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
"I’d like that symbol to be inclusive of all people.” The statue removal process began just before 11 p.m.

How about a life-sized statue of an illegal Latino man (who, the plaque says "identifies" as a woman) kissing a white female while simultaneously getting boinked by an African American male?

And, when citizens register their disgust . . . remind 'em that that's what they said they wanted.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »
There will be much inclusiveness going on when TSHTF...all Ameriphobes and traitors will be treated most equally.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »
 How the hell is it that nobody but the ones supporting it coming down knew about it. This is the county we wanted? who the hell is we?  They wanted to county to vote on it they lost 5 to 1 and still they took it down.... we my ass.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
There will be much inclusiveness going on when TSHTF...all Ameriphobes and traitors will be treated most equally.

On 2nd thought, we can ALL celebrate the rainbow . . .

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »

On 2nd thought, we can ALL celebrate the rainbow . . .

If you are going that route...may I suggest Dangerous Game arrows?

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.