Author Topic: About teeth and fillings ......  (Read 1617 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
About teeth and fillings ......
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
I've been having "issues" which necessitated a visit to the dentist for other-than-cleaning.  She (left-handed, lady dentist -- I love her!) educated on some basic facts.

The old, silver-looking material previously used for filling teeth is stronger than the tooth itself.  As a matter of physics, the weaker material -- that of the tooth -- will fail first, eventually resulting in cracked teeth requiring crowns.

The new, composite material bonds with the tooth, but will fail more frequently requiring filling replacement; this, however, leaves the tooth itself intact.  Additionally, when drilling out the composite, no more tooth material itself needs removal as happens with the silver-type fillings.

It may pay right now, before TSHTF, to have some older, silver fillings replaced while your teeth are still whole.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: About teeth and fillings ......
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
I've had all the amalgam filling removed in favor of the composite white fillings. Never knew about what you've described here, but I have heard all the pro and con evidence about the danger or lack thereof of the silver amalgam fillings, and decided several years ago that I didn't want that stuff in my mouth anymore.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
I've been having "issues" which necessitated a visit to the dentist for other-than-cleaning.  She (left-handed, lady dentist -- I love her!) educated on some basic facts.

The old, silver-looking material previously used for filling teeth is stronger than the tooth itself.  As a matter of physics, the weaker material -- that of the tooth -- will fail first, eventually resulting in cracked teeth requiring crowns.

The new, composite material bonds with the tooth, but will fail more frequently requiring filling replacement; this, however, leaves the tooth itself intact.  Additionally, when drilling out the composite, no more tooth material itself needs removal as happens with the silver-type fillings.

It may pay right now, before TSHTF, to have some older, silver fillings replaced while your teeth are still whole.

Good points and good advice.  I've had most of my old silver fillings replaced with the newer composite material, not as a deliberate choice, but just because they needed it.

The important thing is to keep your dental work up to date, whether you choose to have the old fillings replaced or not.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »
I've heard about the health concerns of the silver-mercury amalgam fillings, but I've never been terribly worried about it.  I've become rather jaded about all the health warnings.  Everything will kill you eventually.

The important point, in my opinion, is that with a silver filling, decay can still continue along the boundary between the tooth and the filling.  The composite fillings bond with the tooth, as Pandora said, so that doesn't happen.  As I see it, it's just a case of newer and better technology.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:22 AM »
I've heard about the health concerns of the silver-mercury amalgam fillings, but I've never been terribly worried about it.  I've become rather jaded about all the health warnings.  Everything will kill you eventually.

The important point, in my opinion, is that with a silver filling, decay can still continue along the boundary between the tooth and the filling.  The composite fillings bond with the tooth, as Pandora said, so that doesn't happen.  As I see it, it's just a case of newer and better technology.

That ^^.  And physics, as the left-handed lady dentist said.  Why would I care how long the filling would last if the tooth is destroyed around it, and the continuing decay contributing to that.

Sheesh!  The things "they" don't tell ya.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:15 AM »
If you have any teeth that may require a root canal, usually you'll be well aware of it but even if not x-rays can show, then I'd definitely get that done before TSHTF. A tooth that develops an infected pulp chamber or an abscess around the roots in the jawbone is utterly excruciating and I can't imagine having nothing more than "frontier medicine" to depend on. Ever see that Tom Hanks movie "Castaway" where he has to remove a bad tooth on his own?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
I can't imagine having nothing more than "frontier medicine" to depend on.

Of course, that was the norm through most of human history until the past century.  It used to be that the only time people went to the dentist was to have a tooth pulled.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:32:48 AM »
If you have any teeth that may require a root canal, usually you'll be well aware of it but even if not x-rays can show, then I'd definitely get that done before TSHTF. A tooth that develops an infected pulp chamber or an abscess around the roots in the jawbone is utterly excruciating and I can't imagine having nothing more than "frontier medicine" to depend on. Ever see that Tom Hanks movie "Castaway" where he has to remove a bad tooth on his own?

Yep.  Second this.  I've a back molar right now that can't be saved due to periodontal disease and THOUSANDS spent on dealing with it.

This isn't always something one has control over; it's a matter of genetics basically and how one deals with poor DNA, but one's chances of keeping one's teeth is only helped by brushing, flossing and getting regular cleanings.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »
Damn!  I guess if the SHTF I'll eventually be a toothless idiot!  All my money is tied up in...well, not my teeth!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
...Ever see that Tom Hanks movie "Castaway" where he has to remove a bad tooth on his own?

Or this one...

Affliction - Nick Nolte pulls his own tooth. OUCH! [HQ]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »
Damn!  I guess if the SHTF I'll eventually be a toothless idiot!  All my money is tied up in...well, not my teeth!

Yeah, to get 'em repaired feels like it's necessary for a long term loan from the bank. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »

Yeah, to get 'em repaired feels like it's necessary for a long term loan from the bank. 

Yeah, that's a lot of holes to fill.  Either they'll last me a while or not.  If I wind up gumming my food and my women, oh well!

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
Dental work is insanely expensive, and dental insurance virtually worthless. If you have a tooth that needs a root canal and crown, you're looking at over $2000 just for that one tooth. That's already out of a lot of people's reach, let alone if they have to deal with a few different teeth. Taking care of them is very important, but like Pandora noted up above, sometimes people just have bad luck with genetics. Some people, due to genetics, don't produce saliva with the right amount of chemical buffering and that allows acid produced by plaque bacteria to very quickly attack tooth enamel. My dentist told me he also sees a lot of problems with people who have bad allergy and sinus conditions. Their nasal passages are chronically congested and when they fall asleep they breathe through their mouths, drying out the saliva and allowing bacteria to go crazy.

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
My kids have to be vigilant--several teeth removed before they were 6.  On a first name basis with our dentist--I've joked that I should have my own designated spot in the parking lot.  He's saved a few teeth from crowns or removal--an artist with a filling.

We're diligent with brushing and flossing.  We've added rinsing with hydrogen peroxide cut with some water and limiting sugar. The one with chronic nasal congestion stop eating dairy and cleared up the congestion --so no more breathing through her mouth at night.

If I go a month without a visit to the dentist I'm amazed.
I'm on constant lookout for anything I can do to help them avoid problems.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
Right-on to all of this.

For several lean years my top priority was supporting my daughter. Luxuries like dentistry had to come 2nd (or not at all). I finally got back on top I found a dentist that I could trust (I had extreme mistrust issues), and my teeth taken care of. Very expensive and worth every penny.

In the last two years I have pressed to get two problematic teeth capped. My dentist expressed surprise at my insistence to 'do it now' and asked why. I told her straight out that she might not be around when TSHIF.

I think I scared her.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
I'm having similar SHTF concerns with my sons and their eyecare. Both have bad vision and wear contacts, but my older boy has his mother's eyes, and he is blind as a frikkin bat without his contacts. I want them both to get Lasik at the first possible opportunity, but they won't consider it on kids under 18 unless the circumstances are very out of the ordinary, and extreme measures beyond contacts are the most viable solution.

Both boys are excellent marksmen, and I need to know that if the time comes, and vision care is unavailable, that they will be able to see. Without lenses, in a SHTF scenario, my oldest boys eyes are so bad, I fear he would be a liability.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
I would suggest you look at the type of eyeglasses the military issues, I don't know if they still do, but in Vietnam-era footage you'd always notice the troops with glasses all had the same style. I'm guessing ruggedness was one of the top criteria. Maybe even a set of ballistic lens combat goggles, protective and corrective at the same time.

- Yours Truly

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
Good point about glasses vs. contacts.  I think glasses will be much better in a post-SHTF scenario.  I've worn glasses since second grade, and my eye doctor has suggested contacts.  But as Glock said, I've always regarded glasses as a form of eye protection.  While they won't stop a bullet, they are a good barrier to random debris.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
I think glasses will be much better in a post-SHTF scenario.

Of course, no sooner than I hit "post" I remembered this:

Time Enough at Last

But modern glasses are much more durable.   :D
~ Ann Barnhardt