Author Topic: Rain Barrels  (Read 1993 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Rain Barrels
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Any ideas on deals?  I see Home Depot & Menards have many sizes, but cost/material wise is ther anything better?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Rain Barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »

55 gallon drums, bought some that contained vegetable oil for about $13.00 a few years ago.

Use various PVC  and other  plumbing.  Set the barrel upright on cinder blocks and put spigot 2" above bottom.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
Any ideas on deals?  I see Home Depot & Menards have many sizes, but cost/material wise is ther anything better?

How much are you talking about?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »

How much are you talking about?

Heck, I dunno.  My mother has an idea of treating one or two as big pots to stick apple trees into so they are (in her words) self-watered.  I dunno about that, I think we'd have to perforate it so it drains into a part of our existing garden so the tree doesn't drown.  The rest of us want to get a few that are durable that we can use a) for watering our veggie gardens and b) back up fresh water supply for our own needs.  We haven't established a budget amount for them yet, I just put the brakes on doing anything because my parents saw an ad and wanted to jump on it, I want to explore options and make sure we get the ones made out of the best/most durable materials and only in the size(s) we need.  Plus, since rainfall can be sporadic, we can go from deluge to drought, quantity might be a more important factor to consider.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »

During the rainy season they are worthless, during the dry season, if you have a well, they are worthless.
Their best use is to store water for emergencies.  IMHO

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »

During the rainy season they are worthless, during the dry season, if you have a well, they are worthless.
Their best use is to store water for emergencies.  IMHO

Not drinking water!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie