Author Topic: Santorum: I'm in.  (Read 6482 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Santorum: I'm in.
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
Based on what I know now, I'd support him in the general election. A summary of his record and positions can be viewed HERE. He's recycled, but he's an articulate and fearless defender of conservatism. The fact that he got trounced in Pennsylvania will be played as a net negative, but I don't think that should justifiably taint him as a national candidate. He was demonized by local media, ran in a "purple" state against the son of a popular former governor, and lost in an anti-incumbent wave. Could he have national appeal?

He's back: Santorum runs as reliable conservative
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:32:20 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Santorum: I'm in.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm from Pa

Personally, I think he's a Bush-type neocon

But, he does have strong family values and does deserve credit for that

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
I'm from Pa

Personally, I think he's a Bush-type neocon...

You'd know better than I would. Do you have any specific reasons you have this opinion of him AP? I just know of his record on social issues, and did a quick search at the "On the Issues" link above. He seems to have all the boxes checked to me, but I know that digging into the details of a politician over time can reveal what a summary of a record might not.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »
I think he is more conservative than T-Paw and less prone than most to sticking a finger in the wind to know which direction to go, but I just don't see him being a dynamic enough personality to really get people to go "hell yeah" so his national appeal could be minimal, but against Obamakov it'd be a easy decision, I just don't think he'll be there at the end, but who really knows, this thing is wide-open at present.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
No one specific thing, IDP
But he was in leadership in the 2000-2006 debacle that led to the Democrats taking back both houses.
He supported Arlen Specter over Toomey.

Solidly a Bush type Repub

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
...He supported Arlen Specter over Toomey...

Ooh, boy. That's mighty unfortunate.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »

Yeap, because that's what I remember him for too. And I'm not in a forgiving mood.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
We need a strong and well known name (like Reagan was) to run, I don't think Santorum fills that bill.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
Not sure why he thinks he can run for Pres when he couldn't win his own state

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Not sure why he thinks he can run for Pres when he couldn't win his own state

I'm thinking that would be the first question he has to answer.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
I don't really know much about him other than what I've read others here post, I'll just say I am mightily prejudiced against retreads. The pre-2008 Republicans had their time at bat, and that's largely why we're in the mess we're in right now. I'm not very inclined to have any of them step up to the plate again.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »

Yeap, because that's what I remember him for too. And I'm not in a forgiving mood.

Something to do with it being more important to hang with the GOP team.   He's not playing for the right team.

benb61
We need a strong and well known name (like Reagan was) to run, I don't think Santorum fills that bill.

You betcha.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:02:47 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »

Something to do with it being more important to hang with the GOP team.  

Well, he can HANG with them now!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm not totally against a re tread, but my preference would be no.

My issue with re treads: When we had the Presidency and majorities, I did not see a conservative agenda pushed. No challenge of abortion, gay marriage, don't ask don't tell, and for the most part taxation, etc. I may detest liberals, but one thing they did was push thier agenda thru, be damned. I don't believe re treaded "conservative" will lead any different than before.

Each election, each time in our history requires certain type individuals. I firmly believe Bush was the correct person as President to lead us, as a nation, thru the challenges faced during his terms.....But even with that said, his last two years were not to my liking......

I believe this election cycle calls for a strong willed person, staunchly conservative, maybe out of the mainstream, not tarnished by Washington. A Bush type personality won't cut it this time around.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
I don't think he's got a shot but I would tend to believe that he will bring something to the conversation. I would like to see him more in the sense of attacking the leftist in chief.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
Okay he's not my candidate but I'll give him a pass for now.  Just heard his comments about his little girl Bella on Mark Levin's show.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
I think he's a decent man.
My comments are meant to be on his politics

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »

Mine too.  I just was afraid I didn't come across that way.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »

I long for a decent man in the Oval Office in the most desperate way. I long to know that my president loves my country and wants her to succeed and prosper. Third, I long for a president who tells the truth. Rick Santorum fulfills all those needs I have at a very basic level. Politics aside.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »

We do need those, IDP.
But we also need someone who respects Constitutional principles
Not sure Rick is the guy

I long for a decent man in the Oval Office in the most desperate way. I long to know that my president loves my country and wants her to succeed and prosper. Third, I long for a president who tells the truth. Rick Santorum fulfills all those needs I have at a very basic level. Politics aside.