Author Topic: Where was/is the food going?  (Read 2211 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Where was/is the food going?
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
I've been in the stores and they are, except for a few items, pretty well stocked except for milk, paper products and Land O'Lake products (no butter and no deli cheese).

For a while there, there was little to no meat, although that's better now.  So, where was the meat going when the restaurants were closed and selling less through take-out?

I've read two articles detailing how the dairies are dumping milk -- while there are mostly empty refrigerator cases in the stores.  Why are they dumping milk?  Well, the piece said it was a processor problem.  ??  All of a sudden, the processors have their hands full, too much milk?  Are some of 'em closed?  Wouldn't they be considered 'essential' in the new categorization?  Or did the cows go into overdrive for some bovine reason?

I'm not buying the "hoarding was/is the problem" (it's not customers who are dumping milk).  I know some people never have enough, but I doubt there are enough of them to have continually emptied the meat cases everywhere.

The frozen food/meals cases are still roomy.  Evidently, a whole lotta people would rather have ding! food than cook, so the stores are still catching up, which leaves me back at wondering where all the damn meat went since the restaurants aren't buying nearly as much so there should be/have been a glut instead of a dearth.

eta:  There's no shortage of cops, though; they're out everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:27:53 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Where was/is the food going?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
As for milk it is being dumped due to lack of demand...probably establishment related and school related as they use a lot...and there is always plenty in the grocery store I go to.  And they have to keep milking the cows or they'll stop producing.  I thought they should be taking the extra and converting to cheese and freezing it but I am not in charge.  Meat is available too, though most counter cuts shut down and deli's closed...I got an order from Omaha Streaks yesterday so my stocks are good.  Paper products still scarce as is hand cleaner and sanitary wipes and per Amazon those are all shut off for consumers and redirected to health care providers, as are the N95 masks though I have an order for the latter too and they keep getting bumped farther out.  I do need to make a pop run...running low on caffeine!!!

::ohno::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
The deli counter at our stop and shop has been closed for 3 weeks and not a can of porkNbeans to be had either. I go there every day to get a couple papers and it never changes.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »
  Went out today for fresh veggies got everything I needed but they were out of milk ./ I asked and their truck didn't have any in their load. But I'm keeping a gallon ahead so no big deal the local dollar general will have it.

But for the most part the only thing I saw that was real light was pasta frozen meals and canned soup.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
As for milk it is being dumped due to lack of demand...probably establishment related and school related as they use a lot...and there is always plenty in the grocery store I go to.  And they have to keep milking the cows or they'll stop producing.  I thought they should be taking the extra and converting to cheese and freezing it but I am not in charge.  Meat is available too, though most counter cuts shut down and deli's closed...I got an order from Omaha Streaks yesterday so my stocks are good.  Paper products still scarce as is hand cleaner and sanitary wipes and per Amazon those are all shut off for consumers and redirected to health care providers, as are the N95 masks though I have an order for the latter too and they keep getting bumped farther out.  I do need to make a pop run...running low on caffeine!!!

That doesn't explain the lack here in multiple stores.  If the schools aren't getting it, there should be more in the stores and there isn't.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:02:41 PM »

That doesn't explain the lack here in multiple stores.  If the schools aren't getting it, there should be more in the stores and there isn't.

Well, could be regional differences...I'm in dairy country...y'all got dairy cows nearby?  Dairy Co-Op's?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 03:18:58 PM »
Many cows around, unsure if they're dairy or other.  Have never checked on the Co-ops, why?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »
Just thinking of basic logistics...dairy farm to truck, truck to Co-Op...Co-Op to store eventually if milk or cheese...

Closer to distributor should be better...but do not know who they are shipping to...and some may not have "extra" due to lower capacity on the front end...

In dairy country the excess is being flushed...too expensive to truck to other parts of the country?  Something is going on...but local operators could be just making local choices...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
  Way more beef here than dairy but there are dairies around. I think distribution is more of the problem than availability.  This thread peaked my interest and not being able to get milk earlier I decided to go to a local(to me)Dollar General and milk case was full but they were out of sour cream(so am I) cottage cheese(hate the stuff) and bread is a problem for them because their bread guys allotment has been cut in half and people are still showing up and buying all the damned bread.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
There was lots of bread at Walmart - of all kinds.

Don't care that much about bread availability; we often make our own.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »

Yeah, would love to..cannot get any fricken yeast!  Amazon even cleaned out unless you want Wu-Flu Chi-Com trash!  Finally found some that should deliver sometime in the next couple weeks...I hope!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 12:41:10 PM »

Yeah, would love to..cannot get any fricken yeast!  Amazon even cleaned out unless you want Wu-Flu Chi-Com trash!  Finally found some that should deliver sometime in the next couple weeks...I hope!

You can make your own yeast.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »

Really?

Can you tell I am a low-info baker?   ::unknowncomic::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »

I was at Cub foods in Fridley MN last night. Mostly normal except for paper goods.
Plenty of milk, cheese, bread etc.
I did not check everything, just noticed what I saw.

They have not had turkey thighs and drum sticks for a long time. What's with that? They have tons of chicken and whole turkeys.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTt8VGyBdk

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17513/no-commercial-yeast-starter/

If neither of those is to your liking, just plug "make your own yeast" into a search engine.

I have to apologize, Libs, for not telling you this sooner; I wasn't thinking.  Although, when you wrote that you couldn't find yeast in the store, I went to walmart.com to look for you and all they had was brewer's yeast and that wasn't cheap,

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTt8VGyBdk

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17513/no-commercial-yeast-starter/

If neither of those is to your liking, just plug "make your own yeast" into a search engine.

I have to apologize, Libs, for not telling you this sooner; I wasn't thinking.  Although, when you wrote that you couldn't find yeast in the store, I went to walmart.com to look for you and all they had was brewer's yeast and that wasn't cheap,

No worries or apologies needed...I'm a baking idiot...I use a bread machine...the rest of my "baking skill" is cracking a Pillsbury roll of dough for cheap French bread or tossing a warm and eat loaf in the oven!  My sister is our baker in the family.

But hey, this I think I can do...and I might even have an old jar handy!

Thanks!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »
 ::curtsy4::