Author Topic: economic conditions of fishing  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
economic conditions of fishing
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:49:04 PM »
Here is an old article on the condition of my favorite pasttime. Of course, a few still blame greed, but I don't think greed is spelled with an O.

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/03/21/bad-economy-has-taken-toll-pro-tournaments-fishing-supply-companies
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: economic conditions of fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
Yeah, like leftist pinheads care, all they'll see is "wealthy tournament pro's feel the pinch" and they'll just snort and say "they're rich and their sponsors are rich, who cares?"...little does the leftist pinhead realize it's just not people buying high end boats, but people buying regular fishing boats, trailers, rods, reels, lures and selling bait and all the employees involved with bringing all that product and service to the marketplace!  Obamanomics is a tropical storm the size of the nation and it just sits on top of us and grinds everything it touches!  This is but one example of the misery these proglodytes have brought upon us!  Think elections don't have consequences?  Think the wrong person at the wrong time can be had without feeling pain?  I hope all those idiots who voted for Obama feel really good about making history!  They're gonna feel something completely different soon if they haven't already!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
I guess I've always been a cheap bastage. I bought almost all of my rods and reels second hand. You can get quality equipment for a lot cheaper that way. I did buy my boat new, but it's an 18' aluminum boat with a 115, is 10 yrs old, and STILL does everything I ask of it. And I still haven't paid over $7 for a bait.

But then again, I don't fish tourney's. In fact, I don't even get on the water on the week-ends because of all the idiots that come out of the wood work.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
You can still buy some things new, Fleet Farm often has really good deals!   ;)

I hear ya on weekends, have not fished a MN metro lake in years, a person could die on Minnetonka with all the jackasses flying around hammered on that lake!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

It reflects and affects the whole economy.  Buying new items, boats or rod and reels affirms every manufacturer of the parts down to screws and glue.  Buying used is the same.  Buy something used
and the seller will go out and buy something.  It is a positive reinforcing capitalist cycle.

When something interferes with this positive cycle such as cash flow or regulation it can turn the whole cycle negative.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
Well, Obamakov and the rest of his demonic band of miscreants sure know all about regulation, you gotta give 'em that!  And we need to properly reward them for their results in appropriate fashion!
 ;)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
It looks like Anthony Weiner picked the wrong time to take up "fly fishing" .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Regulation effects the price of our toys. Before gov't got hold of outboards, you could buy one for 10-12K...With the advent of "green", they are now 20K.

We are installing an above ground pool. There are regulations as to where it can go, where I can install electric, how I need to build my deck, how I must fence it and now I find I need a "pool alarm".

There is a deck, electrical, alarm, installation and safety inspection. All different people. I was told to forgo the headache of a permit, but I was stupid, went and got it and the tics came out, sucking me dry. And I live outside the city limits. Told it is worse inside the city. ::doh::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
Variance crap and regulatory inspectors are a joke!  I bet you'd like to grab that guy by the ankles and hold his head in the water and raise 'em up and ask "are we good?" and repeat the process until he agrees to go away!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Variance crap and regulatory inspectors are a joke!  I bet you'd like to grab that guy by the ankles and hold his head in the water and raise 'em up and ask "are we good?" and repeat the process until he agrees to go away!

The development across from our street built their road so it doesn't line uo with our street.  So guess what-- the county couldn't put in a traffic light to handle the additional traffic flow.  It was supposed to be lined up but the inspector found it after the developer had begun putting up buildings that were sitting where the road was to be. Oh, well. Funny how he didn't show up until after construction had started.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
Most here know I fish a lot. I am shocked at how few boats are on the water. Just from an anecdotal perspective it appears to me that I'm seeing less than half the normal numbers.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »

It's been a long time but as I remember, those outboards are thirsty.
Difficult to catch enough fish to offset the cost of fuel.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »

I have a Yamaha 2 cycle 200 HP V6. The boat only has a 20 gallon gas tank. I get about 1 MPG at wide open throttle, 1.5 if I take 'er easy. And I run 91 octane, non-oxygenated, no ethanol fuel.

I'm feeling the pinch, but not enough to keep me from the water. It was never a cheap passion, and now it's a bit less cheap. I s'pose there is a point at which I'd have to curtail it, but I'd give up other things first.

But I'm certain there's a lot of people who don't prioritize like I do, and they're not on the water. That is a drastic thing in Minnesota. People not from here maybe don't know, we have the highest ratio of boat owners to citizens of any state in the nation. Even if it's just the little 14 foot aluminum with a 10 horse motor, boating and fishing are a BIG deal in this state, and I'm alarmed at how few people I'm encountering on the water.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

They are thirsty, but after owning a high performance engine, I don't think I can go smaller......and for me, it isn't about any offset. Frankly, I can afford it, I want it and I want gov't's damn hands off my toys. I've worked and saved all my life for the opportunity to own the bassboat of my choice and if it upsets an enviromentalist or some do gooder liberal, they can kiss my ass.

I fish two circuits and participation is down. A few local tournys went away this year, mainly because local sponsorship dried up. Several dealerships closed. I will say this, our local lake is full of boats on the weekends, but some Mid Tennessee counties seem to be holding up better than other parts of the country.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »

He's closing the taps as fast as he can.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »
Frankly, I can afford it, I want it and I want gov't's damn hands off my toys. I've worked and saved all my life for the opportunity to own the bassboat of my choice and if it upsets an enviromentalist or some do gooder liberal, they can kiss my ass.

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:01 AM »

Mrs. Stymie's ass is so big she had to get a Zoning Variance from D.C. just to use the sidewalk .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »

Mrs. Stymie's ass is so big she had to get a Zoning Variance from D.C. just to use the sidewalk .

::rimshot::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »

::rimshot::

And her cereal bowl comes with a diving board .  ;D

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »

Under the U.N. Charter , Mrs. Stymie's ass qualifies as an "Emerging Nation" .