Author Topic: Energy Trader HFSL event, Polar Vortex & "Last Resort" Rotating outages  (Read 1762 times)

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Energy Trader HFSL event, Polar Vortex & "Last Resort" Rotating outages
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 08:18:34 PM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/02/psaki-says-coal-natural-gas-not-frozen-wind-turbines-caused-power-grid-failure-texas-cold-snap-video/

And she says it with a straight face.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. I hope the truth will come out. The MSM is very bad. I had read that some net gas production was not designed for such cold and shut down. I read that the nat gas production plants were cut off from electricity. I read that the grid operator disconnected from coal/gas power plants in error as the grid started to go down. I think the WSJ said that last week wind provided 42% of TX electricity.

I believe that the subsidies to wind and solar make building new thermal plants not worth while as some of these plants are only allowed to run when wind and solar cannot. Wind and solar make the grid unstable.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/02/uses-and-abuses-of-texas-power-outages.php
UPDATE: A reader informs me that the Times’ claim that wind farms make up only about 7 percent of the Texas power mix this time of year is almost certainly bogus. Citing the federal government’s energy information agency (EIA) website, he writes:

From Feb 3 through the 9th, which had average weather, wind and solar together average 37% of all electric generation in the state. 34% of all generation was from wind power alone.

Wind power averaged 26% of the total for January.

After the cold snap, wind and solar generated about 10%.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/02/why-texas-has-gone-dark.php
POSTED ON FEBRUARY 15, 2021 BY JOHN HINDERAKER IN ENERGY POLICY
WHY TEXAS HAS GONE DARK
Much of Texas is experiencing rolling blackouts, as utilities are unable to keep power flowing. Why are these blackouts happening? My colleague Isaac Orr explains at AmericanExperiment.org....

When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

Interesting aspect via Vox Day. The grid tripped the nuke plant off line and it takes a long time to come back on line?

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-third-world-comes-to-texas.html
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2021
The Third World comes to Texas
Karl Denninger explains what happened and why it's not going to get better any time soon:

At the same time on a national basis the natural gas pipeline operators, in service to the woke green mob, have replaced fuel-fired pumps (that run on the gas in the pipe, therefore are failsafe so long as the pipe has something in it and is intact) with electrically powered booster pumps because, of course, you can get the power for them from "green" sources instead of all that eeee-vile carbon.
Winter in the south is when nuclear plants are typically taken down for maintenance as well -- since it's the middle of summer when the A/C is blasting away.  But those NatGas peaking plants and coal-fired base load infrastructure, well.... it's not green enough, so let's turn that stuff off and rely on the windmills and solar panels -- and hope it doesn't get destabilized.
 Further most nuclear plants cannot quickly load-follow -- if you need more power quickly you better have something else, and if a bunch of load drops off rapidly you better have some other generation source you can shut down.  Go outside the operating parameters and a nuke plant will "trip" and if they do most of them cannot immediately restart due to a phenomena called "xenon poisoning"; if the fuel has some age on it you must wait until that bleeds off because the core does not have enough reactivity to go critical until it does, which can take a couple of days or even more.

That's exactly what happened.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 08:06:51 AM »
I remember one winter storm when I was living in a rental house. The power was out for 5 days. I finally had to abandon the place because it so totally failed in the basics for survival. I vowed then & there that the next house I purchased must have

1. A woodstove
2. Gas heat and gas range
3. A well
4. A backup generator

I found everything except the well with my current home. I've gone 8 days without power and it's not unlike camping. I'll be damned if I'll be a slave to the built-in failures of the system!

How deep is the water table? If it is not far,look into installing a sandpoint  well

https://activerain.com/blogsview/872813/definition--what-is-a-sandpoint-well

By Gas do you mean propane?  If not, while Propane is more expensive, its stored in a big tank in your yard (  and if you tap it right, you can fill your own BBQ tanks from  the main tank) and won't go away like it did in TX...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »
Well, whatever you do, do it fast...and yes this applies to me as well! 

Sh!t like this is going to shoot demand and prices through the roof!

I might have to just start putting orders in for stuff and worry about assembly later!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 04:19:04 PM »

I found an article written by an engineer that explains a lot.
In short, TX has an energy market but not a capacity market. There is little incentive and no law requiring utilities to have excess capacity, so they don't.
This may be because a capacity market would work against wind energy economics.

https://judithcurry.com/2021/02/18/assigning-blame-for-the-blackouts-in-texas/#more-27097
Assigning Blame for the Blackouts in Texas
Posted on February 18, 2021 by curryja | 165 Comments
By Planning Engineer
The Approach in Texas

Who is responsible for providing adequate capacity in Texas during extreme conditions? The short answer is no one.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
Dude, you forgot the effing Feds!

The truth is that the federal government controls how Texas generates electricity - the mix of sources and the capacity of each. The EPA requires that Texas' fossil fuel power generators operate far below their maximum output.

Gov. Abbott knew that if the EPA would allow our natural gas and coal power plants to operate at peak efficiency they could meet 110% of the demand the state faced last week. The EPA refused.

https://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,18132.msg188954/topicseen.html#msg188954

WAR!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.