Topics > Economy

Hang on to your wallets, checking fees to soar...again

(1/2) > >>

ToddF:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/banks_checked_H93tE8xgUpsyENaqNQmLdJ

--- Quote ---The US Senate yesterday swatted aside a move backed by New York Democrats Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand to delay implementation of an 80 percent cut to the debit-card swipe fee -- a move that will drain up to $1.3 billion a month, or $15 billion a year from banks' coffers.
--- End quote ---

No, you just can't legislate a vastly reduced service cost, just because you took a Poli Sci class, and can now write policy.   Kudos to the above for realizing this, amongst their Marxist trash brethren.

The $15 billion per year will be taken from other services, such as checking accounts, credit card fees, and possibly even eliminating debit cards (stupid things to have and use anyway.)

Libertas:

--- Quote from: MNHawk on June 10, 2011, 07:39:03 AM ---http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/banks_checked_H93tE8xgUpsyENaqNQmLdJ

--- Quote ---The US Senate yesterday swatted aside a move backed by New York Democrats Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand to delay implementation of an 80 percent cut to the debit-card swipe fee -- a move that will drain up to $1.3 billion a month, or $15 billion a year from banks' coffers.
--- End quote ---

No, you just can't legislate a vastly reduced service cost, just because you took a Poli Sci class, and can now write policy.   Kudos to the above for realizing this, amongst their Marxist trash brethren.

The $15 billion per year will be taken from other services, such as checking accounts, credit card fees, and possibly even eliminating debit cards (stupid things to have and use anyway.)

--- End quote ---

Banks will increase other fees and reduce interest paid out, guaranteed.  Still, proglodytes continue to try to play semantic games to appear like they give a damn about "the little guy".

I'm so sick of that hypocrisy!

LadyVirginia:

--- Quote from: MNHawk on June 10, 2011, 07:39:03 AM ---possibly even eliminating debit cards (stupid things to have and use anyway.)

--- End quote ---

I still don't get the point of debit cards.

ToddF:

--- Quote from: LadyVirginia on June 10, 2011, 11:34:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: MNHawk on June 10, 2011, 07:39:03 AM ---possibly even eliminating debit cards (stupid things to have and use anyway.)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So when your card (or number) is stolen, the thief can empty your account directly (which you then have to wait to get back) as opposed to a credit card, where your balance is just run up, when then gets cleared up eventually.

There is no real point to them, except for deadbeats who can't get a credit card.

LadyVirginia:

--- Quote from: MNHawk on June 10, 2011, 12:31:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: LadyVirginia on June 10, 2011, 11:34:41 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So when your card (or number) is stolen, the thief can empty your account directly (which you then have to wait to get back) as opposed to a credit card, where your balance is just run up, when then gets cleared up eventually.

There is no real point to them, except for deadbeats who can't get a credit card.

--- End quote ---

And yet banks keep trying to give me one. And I'm not a deadbeat.
A few years back I opened a new account and they just "gave" me one though I hadn't ask for it.  Still I thought I could use it at Aldi's instead of having to remember to get cash at Walmart.  Well, nix on that when I read recently Aldi's keypads got hacked.  Backed to cash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version