Author Topic: Animal Planet Channel: My Cat From Hell  (Read 2128 times)

RickZ

Animal Planet Channel: My Cat From Hell
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
Now this show beats the hell out of Whale Wars.

I never owned a cat as a kid; I am a dog person.  I will say that I get along with cats, though.  My friend, with whom I shared an apartment, inherited an older, more mature one from a college friend's parents (they had a dog and a cat, were moving from a house to a condo, could only take one pet and, like most people, the dog went with them and the cat went).  Belle was just like her name implies, an older grande dame, spoiled rotten, but a lover not a fighter.  She was the first cat I was ever close to emotionally.  When I was on the couch watching tv, she just loved to sit on my chest and knead and purr, knead and purr.  She was a sweetheart.  I don't hate cats, and they seem to tolerate me well enough to rub my legs and enjoy a good scratch around the ears from me.  Long ago, I was told, 'Rick, you can't be all bad.  Dogs and kids like you!'  So do most animals.  I even talk to squirrels on my walk down the street.  When I 'talk' to them, they'll stop, stand stock still, then answer.  My ex called me Dr. Doolittle.  I think she was being sarcastic, but I took pride in that moniker.

Anyway, I was bored a couple of Saturday nights ago (the story of my life), and I happened to see this show, My Cat From Hell, listed.  I decided to give it a watch.  It is hysterical.

The premise of the show are people who are not owners of cats (no one ever owns a cat), but cat providers.  According to the care providers, the cat has issues.  The issues are both feline and human.  Some of the humans think cats are dogs, roughhouse with them, then get clawed and the hell bit out of them.  Some cats have issues because they are not stimulated enough.  On last night's show, it was mentioned that a cat's psychology is to wake up in the morning, hunt and kill something, have a bite to eat, then take a nap.  People just don't understand cats the way they do dogs as cats are not a pack animal, are independent, but still rely on their humans for stimulation, especially indoor cats.

The 'cat whisperer', a tatooed musician named Jackson, is quite good at what he does, provide cat-oanalysis of the problem feline and owners.  The cats I've seen cat-alyzed on the show are some real terrors.  One thing I already learned, not being a cat person, is there are two kinds of house cats:  Tree dwellers and bush dwellers, just like the big cats in the wild.  The tree dwellers enjoy climbing up on things, and like to perch high above it all and survey their domain; the bush swellers like all four paws on the ground at all times.  For the tree dwellers, Jackson makes the humans build cat trees and catwalks (no pun intended), so that the animal has a chance to get up high.  He also shows what kind of toys are good for humans to use to interact with their cats.  It usually involves something that the cat can attack and 'kill'.  He also shows how laser pointers can be hours of fun for cats, make them tired, and generally make them more enjoyable to their human providers.

If you have a cat or two, or just like animals, this show is a great diversion.  It's a learning experience with humor.  The transformation of the pet from unmanagable bordering on being evicted or even breaking up relationships into a healthy animal that becomes comfortable in its home and with its care providers, with enough adventure and play to satisfy its curiousity, is unreal.

The Cat Whisperer, Jackson Galaxy, with his cat bag of tricks guitar case.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Animal Planet Channel: My Cat From Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Nothing beats Whale Wars for demonstrating the insanity of the left. Nothing.

But I will take a look at the cat program.

I have two dogs and three cats. Sometimes four. The cats are for vermin control and do a good job of it. Cats are most definitely not dogs.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
People just don't understand cats the way they do dogs as cats are not a pack animal, are independent

That's the main reason, but I think it may also be that dogs were domesticated earlier than cats.  I think cats are somewhat closer to the wild than dogs.  Humans began having symbiotic relationships with dogs when we were still hunter-gatherers, since they were helpful with hunting.  Cats didn't begin hanging around humans until much later, after agriculture was developed and they were attracted to granaries, where they could find a steady supply of rats and mice.  The humans were naturally grateful to the cats for keeping the vermin under control around their precious food stockpiles.  As I understand it, the Egyptians were the first to 'domesticate' cats, and they actually worshipped them and preserved their bodies as mummies when they died. 

The Egyptians thought very highly indeed of cats, and cats have never forgotten that.   ;)
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
Cats are.........ok.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
I never had cats when I was a kid, since my father hated them.  I remember seeing him take off his shoe and throw it at a stray cat who had wandered into the backyard.  I never did understand why he disliked them so much.  Once I went over to a childhood friend's house to look at his kittens, and I thought they were pretty neat.  I had a couple of dogs when I was growing up.

As an adult I didn't have any pets.  It was never a priority for me.  But I always got along well with other people's pets.  Once my car broke down at night and I walked to the nearest house to call a tow truck.  The door was answered by a woman who seemed suspicious.  She had a chain on the door and told me to hand her my driver's license and AAA card and she would call them.  But she wouldn't let me in, and since I've seen the movie A Clockwork Orange, I fully understood.  So I sat there on the porch, and her cat came up to me and let me pet her.  When the woman came back and saw her cat in my lap, purring up a storm, her whole attitude changed!

During the 90s I was living on the top floor of a house that had been converted into two apartments.  A family moved in downstairs and they had a tortoiseshell cat with a gorgeous multicolored coat.  She seemed to like me OK and would let me pet her, up until the time when I tried to catch her and pick her up in order to help out my neighbor.  She'd never go near me again after that.  One morning when I left for work I saw her lying in the road.  I was saddened even though she wasn't my cat.

A couple months later the family got a new kitten.  She was black and long-haired and they named her Chloe.  When I came home from work she would be sitting in the window as I walked by.  There was a hole in the screen and I would stick my finger through it to pet her.  This became a daily occurrence.

A little while later I found evidence that there was a rat in my apartment.  My neighbor and her kids were going away for the weekend, and I asked if I could borrow Chloe.  She said yes, so I had to run out and buy cat food and a litter box.  At age 41 I found myself living with a cat for the first time in my life. 

I never did find the rat.  Maybe Chloe scared him away.  But since my neighbor frequently went away for the weekends, Chloe started spending more and more time with me.  I even had her during a two-week vacation.  To say we hit it off is an understatement.  Chloe and I became inseparable.  And it was clearly mutual.  She liked me as much as I liked her.  I have never had such a bonding experience with any other animal.

This comment is already getting pretty long, and it could easily become five ten times longer.  I'll wind it up by saying that I ended up adopting two of Chloe's kittens, who were born in my bedroom closet in 2000.  Leo died in 2007, but I still have Kira.  Both of them are/were incredibly affectionate.  I'm 53 now and I can't imagine not having cats.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
nice story  :)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

Yeah, I've had dogs and lived with other peoples cats all my life.
I don't want to lose any more of them.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »
Let me preface this be saying that I am a cat person. Dogs & cats (and all manner of other critters) get on with me pretty well...

(from the vid at link): "We had some friends visit that had a baby. "Izzy" hissed at the baby and then scratched it"

That cat would have been on its way to the pound before she could finish her sentence if it had hissed at a kid in my presence. And the snippet where they show the cat attack them in their sleep? Are you sh!ttin me?!

He would have been another entree in Chinatown if it were me.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
I never had cats when I was a kid, since my father hated them.  I remember seeing him take off his shoe and throw it at a stray cat who had wandered into the backyard.  I never did understand why he disliked them so much.  Once I went over to a childhood friend's house to look at his kittens, and I thought they were pretty neat.  I had a couple of dogs when I was growing up.

As an adult I didn't have any pets.  It was never a priority for me.  But I always got along well with other people's pets.  Once my car broke down at night and I walked to the nearest house to call a tow truck.  The door was answered by a woman who seemed suspicious.  She had a chain on the door and told me to hand her my driver's license and AAA card and she would call them.  But she wouldn't let me in, and since I've seen the movie A Clockwork Orange, I fully understood.  So I sat there on the porch, and her cat came up to me and let me pet her.  When the woman came back and saw her cat in my lap, purring up a storm, her whole attitude changed!

During the 90s I was living on the top floor of a house that had been converted into two apartments.  A family moved in downstairs and they had a tortoiseshell cat with a gorgeous multicolored coat.  She seemed to like me OK and would let me pet her, up until the time when I tried to catch her and pick her up in order to help out my neighbor.  She'd never go near me again after that.  One morning when I left for work I saw her lying in the road.  I was saddened even though she wasn't my cat.

A couple months later the family got a new kitten.  She was black and long-haired and they named her Chloe.  When I came home from work she would be sitting in the window as I walked by.  There was a hole in the screen and I would stick my finger through it to pet her.  This became a daily occurrence.

A little while later I found evidence that there was a rat in my apartment.  My neighbor and her kids were going away for the weekend, and I asked if I could borrow Chloe.  She said yes, so I had to run out and buy cat food and a litter box.  At age 41 I found myself living with a cat for the first time in my life. 

I never did find the rat.  Maybe Chloe scared him away.  But since my neighbor frequently went away for the weekends, Chloe started spending more and more time with me.  I even had her during a two-week vacation.  To say we hit it off is an understatement.  Chloe and I became inseparable.  And it was clearly mutual.  She liked me as much as I liked her.  I have never had such a bonding experience with any other animal.

This comment is already getting pretty long, and it could easily become five ten times longer.  I'll wind it up by saying that I ended up adopting two of Chloe's kittens, who were born in my bedroom closet in 2000.  Leo died in 2007, but I still have Kira.  Both of them are/were incredibly affectionate.  I'm 53 now and I can't imagine not having cats.

Lovely story.

Gunsmith prefers cats over dogs and while I had one previously, after I moved out on my own -- my Dad hated cats as well, until he met our Amadeus -- we've had puss-pusses ever since.

Once they pick you as their person, you're cooked unless you have a heart of stone.

My sick little guy spent one bad night snuggled up to my chest with his head tucked under my chin.  I can't imagine a dog being any more sympatico, just a little differently so.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"