Author Topic: South Park Creators Hammer The Tony Awards With "The Book Of Mormon"  (Read 1244 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Mormonism, the other hated religion.

At least it will always be number two or three behind Christianity and some times Judaism.

NEW YORK – The profane and hysterical "The Book of Mormon" took home nine Tony Awards on Sunday including the prize for best musical, a considerable achievement for a pair of first-time Broadway playwrights known more for their raunchy cartoons featuring potty-mouthed kids.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the Emmy Award-winning "South Park," found a kindred soul in Robert Lopez, who co-wrote the Tony-winning "Avenue Q," and all three found themselves with plenty of awards when they collaborated to gently mock Mormons and send-up Broadway itself.

Collecting the best musical prize, a subdued Parker, who tied Josh Logan of "South Pacific" with four Tonys in one evening — said he'd be remiss if he didn't thank his late book co-writer — Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon religion.

"You did it, Joseph! You got the Tony!" Parker said looking skyward and holding up his award.

The show, which netted honors for best musical, best book, best direction of a musical, best score, best featured actress and four technical awards, came in with a leading 14 nominations and was the heavy favorite for the top musical prize.

LINK

I'm no fan of Mormonism and all of the crazy stuff that it contains but I get really pissed off anytime awards and accolades are dished out for "bravery" in mocking a religion and it turns out that we aren't talking about Islam. If you really want to be edgy and brave then go all in and mock Islam. Now, granted, Parker and Stone have used South Park to do just that but I would be willing to bet that Islam mocking is half-hearted (at best) when compared to the insults that they have bestowed upon other religions.

For instance, South Park dedicated an entire episode to mocking Mormonism: You can click here and see what Parker and Stone can do when they really want to ridicule a religion. I would like to see them give this treatment to Islam. Or see them come out with a Broadway play that insults Islam. If they did that then I would be the first to congratulate them for "bravery."

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: South Park Creators Hammer The Tony Awards With "The Book Of Mormon"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:29:06 AM »
Parker and Stone did, in fact, do a "Mohammed" episode but they didn't go any further than putting Mohammed in a bear suit or something because they didn't want to actually draw Mohammed and get in trouble with the islamists. That was supposed to be the big joke of the episode, that they couldn't/wouldn't actually show Mohammed. Big deal.

As tame as it was, Comedy Central banned the episode from their website, though, so I can't link to it. Such cowards.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:39:11 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »

I've already made fast friends at my precinct, oh no, Romney's a Mormon, he's got spinney eyes and will send us to hell.  "Right, that worked out real good for you didn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:33 AM »
It's pointless to target Romney for his religious beliefs.

No, Romney will live or die (politically) by his positions on AGW and RomneyCare among others. If Romney can be a McAmnesty clone and still get the nomination then we're all pretty much boned.

This is why I hold out hope that Perry will get in the race. Soon.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:33 AM »
A religion whose members are known primarily for clean living, hard work ethic, and family values is an obvious threat to the Left.

I know Parker and Stone are equal opportunity offenders, but they thrive in a culture of Leftism.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:53:28 AM »
Mormon's, despite their odd beliefs are basically decent people, as IDP points out.  Other so-called religions like Mohammadism bear more disturbing and blood-soaked fruit.  The latter is tolerated by leftists in this nation, the former ridiculed even though they have not given us one ziilionth the problems Mohammadism has given the world.  Some people need a check up from the neck up.  Trap correctly highlights the issues Romney is most vulnerable on.  But attacking Moromns is safe, they don't look to lop your head off at the slightest perceived insult.  How brave is that?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
Which again, returns to my original point that Parker and Stone would be truly brave if they did a musical that ridicules mohammed and islam. A "Springtime For I'mADinnerJacket In Iran" kind of thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
Agreed.  That would be brave, and possibly the highest rated episode ever!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
I think it was in the South Park Movie that they said that only Mormons went to Heaven.  Everyone else ended up in Hell.  There was an extended photo montage that showed Hitler, Gandhi, Einstein, Mao, JFK, Bogart, and many others all in Hell.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt