Author Topic: FBI - Expanded Power Given to Agents  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
FBI - Expanded Power Given to Agents
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »
Apparently they can just do this all on their own...

::whatgives::

But remember, we are not a police state!

::falldownshocked::

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/51992858-68/agents-fbi-search-bureau.html.csp

::cussing::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: FBI - Expanded Power Given to Agents
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »
Linky no worky.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is giving significant new powers to its roughly 14,000 agents — allowing them more leeway to search databases, go through household trash or use surveillance teams to scrutinize the lives of people who have attracted their attention.

The FBI soon plans to issue a new edition of its manual, called the Domestic Investigations and Operations Guide, according to an official who has worked on the draft document and several others who have been briefed on its contents. The new rules add to several measures taken over the past decade to give agents more latitude as they search for signs of criminal or terrorist activity.

The FBI recently briefed several privacy advocates about the coming changes. Among them, Michael German, a former FBI agent who is now a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union, argued it was unwise to further ease restrictions on agents’ power to use potentially intrusive techniques, especially if they lacked a firm reason to suspect someone of wrongdoing.

"Claiming additional authorities to investigate people only further raises the potential for abuse," German said, pointing to complaints about the bureau’s surveillance of domestic political advocacy groups and mosques and to an inspector general’s findings in 2007 that the FBI had improperly used "national security letters" to obtain information like people’s phone bills.

http://www.infowars.com/fbi-power-to-snoop-expanded-again/

Yeah, "Infowars", I know; best I could do on the link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
Paper shreders and lots of them. Now back to the subject,where are all the demonstrators on this one??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Heard a snippet on Fox that sounded like they will be able to make determination who is a potential threat group to surveil.

By the wording the first group that came to mind was......Masons?
And probably their DeMoley squires. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »

Heard a snippet on Fox that sounded like they will be able to make determination who is a potential threat group to surveil.

By the wording the first group that came to mind was......Masons?
And probably their DeMoley squires. 

Any anti Obama group out there is a potential target.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »

FBI Agents Now Allowed to Investigate Anyone Without Evidence of a Crime
FBI Agents Now Allowed to Investigate Anyone Without Evidence of a Crime

Overview

The Federal Bureau of Investigations has rewritten its own operations manual, giving its agents more autonomy than ever to conduct low-level searches without a paper trail.
Undocumented database searches: Right now, agents can search commercial and law enforcement databases for any individual or organization they want, even without real evidence of wrongdoing, but they must officially open a so-called assessment inquiry. "Under the new rules, agents will be allowed to search such databases without making a record about their decision,"
"Undisclosed participation" in organizations: The special rules governing agents' and informants' attendance of meetings and surreptitious participation in organizations on which they are gathering information haven't been  made public. But the new rules clearly state that agents or informants can freely attend five meetings of an organization before those rules apply.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:41 AM »

Any anti Obama group out there is a potential target.

Too logical. Have to do Tea Party supporters first.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 06:55:52 AM »
If congress doesn't step in and nix this then nobody will be safe, it'll be Obama Brownshirts running amok and the constitution rendered into pulp.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
..and they will use this as a threat too--"You want me searching through your mother's computer or trash,huh? How about your daughter's?"
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."