Author Topic: Opportunity In Vietnam?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Opportunity In Vietnam?
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
A smart person might see an opportunity to develop a relationship whereby we could play the Vietnam card and have another ally in the region willing to help us keep China contained!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05e83b34-94db-11e0-a648-00144feab49a.html#axzz1PAlcbgih
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Opportunity In Vietnam?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »
Looks like you have to be a registered user to view. What's the gist of it? I know Vietnam and China have long had a rocky relationship, and fought each other briefly in the late 70s.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:12:09 PM »
" The enemy of my enemy is my friend ."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
Territorial disputes in the South China Sea, not coincidentally valuable resources like oil are present!

Other nations in the region come into play too, but Vietnam seems to be the one ratcheting up the rhetoric and staging demonstration against China.

If you recall, they've always had a bit of a testy relationship, the historically Chinese seem to view other Asians as inferior to them.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »

Kind of the essence of playing cards eh?  I like the idea of playing Vietnam off China! 

::evilbat::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »

Kind of the essence of playing cards eh?  I like the idea of playing Vietnam off China! 

::evilbat::

That's because were all evil when it comes to winning.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »

Can they hold on till January 21, 2013?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »

Can they hold on till January 21, 2013?

Can anybody?

I don't even know if I will!

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
A smart person might see an opportunity to develop a relationship whereby we could play the Vietnam card and have another ally in the region willing to help us keep China contained!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05e83b34-94db-11e0-a648-00144feab49a.html#axzz1PAlcbgih
Are they are they not still Communist?
F'm
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »

Are they are they not still Communist?
F'm

I'm not saying sleep with 'em.  I'm saying use them.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
Ironic previous corrupt governments of the Philippines ran us out of that part of the world.  A detail not lost on most of the commenters I read, in a story about this very issue, from a Phil perspective.

It will be interesting to see if China can just walk right in and take them.  Bongo's Buddy isn't going to do anything.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »
Being in the Philipines on more than one occasion and working closely with many, there has always been an affinity between our two nations, and the bonds became stronger as a result of WWII, but in the 70's & 80's there became a yearning in them to break away on their own, they felt they no longer needed a big brother around to carry them, and that's fine.  But I think removing our military presence there, while giving them a sense of independence, was going to eventually be a potential destabilizing factor in S.E. Asia, and I think that concern is what is beginning to manifest itself with increasing Chinese strength.  The other thing that could really cause China to become more aggressive is natural resources.  Like the Japanese before them, they are consuming more and more, and I am hearing some rumblings about slowing production in China, if turns out to be resource-driven, they could be in a more expansionist mood.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Perhaps the Chinese will decide to setup a one-way trade network and post garrisons throughout the region, you know, to protect them from the exploitation of Western capitalism. They could call it something like the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, yeah that's the ticket.

I understand why it happened, given the mood of Americans after finally defeating the same Japanese who launched an unprovoked attack on us and behaved like barbarians during the war, but it may yet prove to have been a mistake to convert Japan into a bunch of pacifists. They come from a long warrior tradition and are the natural check against the "yellow horde" on the mainland. I wouldn't mind seeing them put some teeth back into their military as long as we maintain close cultural and economic contacts with them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly