Author Topic: The New Hampshire Republican Debate  (Read 8006 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: The New Hampshire Republican Debate
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
But, at least the part I saw, the candidates (with the exception of Romney) were a bit timid in attacking the admin. The admin sucks and they need to be willing to make that a part of every single answer.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
And even Romney didn't do it enough.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
So, some good points were made but, for me, there were a tremendous number of missed opportunities.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »

Your dumb and stupid nailed it.  They missed some opportunities possibly because they were busy dodging the red meat moderators were tossing trying to start a fight.  They did it to the bitter end, starting at the beginning with an Obamneycare challenge to Pawlenty.

The lady and gentlemen overall did better than I expected due to circumstance.  Santorum needs to dump the personal pronouns.
Paul was more disciplined than usual. Cain's answers are pretty good but delivery is rough. Gingrich was better than I expected.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

Your dumb and stupid nailed it.  They missed some opportunities possibly because they were busy dodging the red meat moderators were tossing trying to start a fight.  They did it to the bitter end, starting at the beginning with an Obamneycare challenge to Pawlenty.

The lady and gentlemen overall did better than I expected due to circumstance.  Santorum needs to dump the personal pronouns.
Paul was more disciplined than usual. Cain's answers are pretty good but delivery is rough. Gingrich was better than I expected.

You're right on the money.If I had to chose tonight it would be hard.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
thanks for the update trap.  I had to go out and missed it--hope to catch it later.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »
Reading the comments at AoS for the debate live blog. Best one yet:

84 You can't even see Callista behind Newt's podium with her hand up his ass.
Posted by: nickless at June 13, 2011 08:11 PM (MMC8r)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

I don't like gNewt. I don't want him up there.
Tonight he exercised restraint and his answers resonated.  They need
to jack him up or he is going to look better and better.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »

I don't like gNewt. I don't want him up there.
Tonight he exercised restraint and his answers resonated.  They need
to jack him up or he is going to look better and better.

This was just the opening round given time he'll screw up!!
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »

You're a man of great faith, JF.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
I liked this one, too...

148 Kudos to CNN for the-most-schizophrenic-debate evah!

Twitter! Facebook! Live feed! Some random mainstream d-bag! Yay! Look, a squirrel asking a pertinent question! No, over there you moron!
Posted by: Rex Harrison's Hat at June 13, 2011 08:32 PM (nufXD)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
SS/Medicare, after thought:

As the remedy question circulated amongst the candidates only Pawlenty and Bachman said "my plan", the rest they either wholeheartedly supported it or gave a big tip of the hat to Paul Ryan.  

This is ego garbage.  Neither of the two has a plan but they are going to have a better plan.  Wait people, you aren't sophomores in high school, this is Ryan's forte, your staff will never do as well as Ryan, it is becoming accepted, stick your finger in the wind and support the man.  This is our best chance to reconstruct this thing.  If you must, apply your ego somewhere else.***

gNewt also scored again. His addendum was to call attention to the necessity of electing enough senators to control it
in order for assured accomplishment.

***Bachmann? said to defund the EPA, NOW.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:54 AM »
Having had some time to reflect on the debate...

Romney did well and I did give him credit throughout the portion that I watched for hitting O'Bama. He probably hit O'Bama more than anyone else. He was smooth and polished. Not that he shouldn't have been. This is his second go round at this dog and pony show. He didn't make any huge obvious mistakes.

Cain did not improve on his performance from the last debate and I think that the reason for this was twofold. First, he is still depending on the, "I will get top experts together and we will come up with the best plan" non-answer answer to at least one of the questions...I can't remember which one. Secondly, he did not appear to have spent the intervening time between now and the last debate working very hard on his delivery or on his knowledge of the issues. A serious candidate would be working overtime to become an expert on every topic likely to be put to him. So, Cain was a bit of a disappointment. Not that he was bad, he wasn't, but that he wasn't better. I cut him a lot of slack because I expected him to be better.

Santorum, who I like on most issues, just doesn't come across as presidential. I can't put my finger on why but that is just my overall impression. I would rather see him back in congress fighting the good fight.

Pawlenty had some good moments but seems to be lacking sufficient fire. There is a lack of passion there and that will be his undoing in this part of the campaign. He can come back from this but he needs to hurry to avoid being painted that way with a broad brush.

Gingrich did surprisingly well given the recent upheaval inside his camp. I think he will drop out at some point because he won't be able to raise the money necessary to keep up. (That will probably be Cain's undoing, too.)

Paul was remarkably restrained and only had one or two of his trademark, "Koo Koo For Cocoa Puffs" moments. Need I say more?

Bachman had the most to gain from this debate since she has (nationally) less name recognition than the others (possible exception would be Santorum). I think that she did herself a lot of good tonight. I don't think that she did herself any harm. It will be interesting to see if she can build on this performance in the coming weeks.

So, bottom line is that Romney would be the winner except that he did about as well as he was expected to do. Not an outstanding performance or a breakout performance but that would be hard to pull off under any circumstances. Romney benefitted from not really being harpooned over AGW and/or RomneyCare. Bachman, in my opinion, wins by a nose because she stood out better than the rest of the field and didn't screw up. Not an outstanding performance but a competent one. I don't think she will end up getting the nomination (unless things really get weird). She could get the veep pick if she can keep up the same level of performance that she showed tonight, though.

As always, all bets are off if/when Perry gets in. Or Palin.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Just read Rich Lowry's take on the debate. Pretty close to my assessment in several ways. I thought Gingrich was better than he did. He gave the debate to Romney, though, with what looked like a close second to Bachmann.

In general, Pawlenty was fine, but faded into the background and sometimes seemed much too canned. He had to be chagrined watching how well Michelle Bachmann did — the average viewer just tuning in wouldn’t have any idea she’s not considered a “top tier” candidate.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »
I'd have to say your analysis is fair Trap.  I too am a bit disappointed in Cain, if he can't show more depth he'll be lost in the noise.

So far the Paulbots are hitting Fox in the "who would you like to see debate Obama" contest.  Cain in second surprises me, but as with all online polls you have to take these with a big grain of salt.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/13/which-candidate-or-would-be-candidate-would-most-like-to-see-debate-obama/

I think Michele did alright her first time at bat.  If she improves her performances and gains confidence she could be a factor.  I think Romney is coasting on money and confidence right now so his thing will be all about not making mistakes, and the funny thing about that is that sometimes when you focus too much on that events and other candidates can often surge past you and then BAM! you make that one fatal mistake.

I also agree with your earlier comment about wanting more attacks on Obama, he is a target rich environment and the opportunities to attack and differentiate yourself from his disastrous record should be a no-brainer.  The time to jump on a fellow candidate is when they say something stupid, otherwise the focus must be on differentiation with Obamunism.  If you don't set the plate now you won't be enjoying a good dinner later!

ETA - Disclaimer:  I also think Palin & Perry could really shake things up here and rid us of the obvious dead wood should they decide to jump in.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
I saw the Paul numbers and fully expected to see them. His supporters are very consistent. Consistently obsessive and stupid. I always ignore Paul's online poll results for this reason.

Romney has already made his mistakes re AGW and RomneyCare.

The debate format was very stupid and someone could have scored a lot of points with the base for just pointing it out. The "this or that" questions were the most brainless of all hearkening back to the "boxers or briefs" question that Clinton got from the MTV crowd. If I had been at the debate and had been asked one of those inane questions I would have thrown it right back at them as too stupid to be considered worthy of a reply, as in, "John, don't waste the time of the American people with such trite and pointless questions. America is in serious trouble and we need to discuss serious topics. Save this kind of nonsense question for the president the next time you see him."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
This was posted this morning at AoS under the title of "Young Newt Gingrich"

charlesoakwood