Author Topic: Just another reason to dislike Bobby Jindal  (Read 2404 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Just another reason to dislike Bobby Jindal
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
When he was candidate Jindal, he promised an open administration. As Governor Jindal, it's quite different. Of course it helps when you have friends.

http://www.katc.com/news/senate-rejects-bid-to-open-governor-s-records/

An attempt to open more of the governor's office records to public view was overwhelmingly rejected Monday by the Louisiana Senate, which sided with Gov. Bobby Jindal to keep the records secret.

The Senate voted 22-14 against the bill by Sen. Robert Adley, R-Benton, despite recent dust-ups between the Jindal administration and senators over withholding documents. The move likely killed the measure for the legislative session.

Adley's bill would have kept communications between the governor and his staff confidential, along with the governor's personal e-mails, phone records and security details.

But it would have removed a provision that keeps secret those records pertaining to the governor's "deliberative process," language Adley says has been so broadly interpreted that budget and financial records in other state departments have been withheld by the Jindal administration.

"We have a history of documents being shrouded in secrecy," Adley said of the administration.

Jindal's lawyers have said the change proposed by Adley would limit the governor's ability to get candid advice.

Only one senator spoke against the proposal. Sen. Danny Martiny said if the legislation passed, it could discourage conversations about economic development deals and could just push the governor and his staff not to write anything down to avoid the public records requirement.

"If we have enough faith in our governor to elect him, I'd much rather not tie his hands," said Martiny, R-Kenner. He added, "This is the person we chose to lead this state, and we ought to let him do so without everything he does being second-guessed."

Several senators who spoke in favor of the bill cited Jindal's campaign rhetoric about transparency and openness, and they complained about his administration's recent refusal to hand over documents related to a health care privatization effort and a separate Medicaid contract. The information was only provided after senators voted to subpoena documents from the administration.

Adley has failed in repeated attempts to limit the governor's public records exemption.

Previous governors had broad exemptions from Louisiana's public records law. In 2009, Jindal backed legislation to shield anything considered part of his "deliberative process" and set a six-month delay on releasing budgetary advice that state departments submit to the governor.

The administration has used that exemption to shield documents that Adley said had previously been available.

Adley's bill would have required that budgetary records couldn't be hidden.

"It's going to make public everything that deals with the fiscal matters of this state. That should be public," he said.
The measure also would have required all documents in a governor's office to be preserved and archived. All records would be open to the public after 10 years from its creation.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Just another reason to dislike Bobby Jindal
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
Well he tore a page out of the Obama playbook on that one...say one thing/do the opposite!

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »
What's the story on Jindal?  I really haven't paid much attention to him.  Some of my family likes him for whatever reason but I've gotten the impression some here aren't so impressed.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Thresherman

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Jindal's lawyers have said the change proposed by Adley would limit the governor's ability to get candid advice.

Actually, I come down on the side of Jindal in this case.  To govern effectively an executive needs input and advice from outside his cabinet and advisors.  He needs candid advice from people in the private sector on a how policies and new legislation will affect them and he probably would not get that advice if these people kinew that what they say in confidence would be made public.

For example, suppose he was considering legislation close to that which was passed in Wisconsin.  Can you imagine anyone offering him advice that the unions would take a dim view of knowing that once made public, that he, his home and his family would subject to harassment and threats by thugs like those we saw in Wisconsin? 

Actually, given the law of unintended consequences, this legislation could be used to poison any legislation or policies before they even have a chance to formulated.  Moreover, any illegal activity or conseverations would simply be done in a manner that would avoid compliance with the law.

I would prefer a law that made this information public following an interval after the governor left office.  That would provide transparency that would keep things on the up and up by the parties knowing that it would be made public one day, but after after an interval that would free them from political and personal retaliation.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »
I think that is a good point Thresh, there should be some freedom for an executive to solicit advice free of outside interference, but I took Jindal's mistake to be, like Obama, making blanket statements with respect to "openness and transparency" without any qualification, making it much easier for opponents to attack him at the first perceived breach of that promise.  I think Alan being a Louisiana native has a better handle on just how much graft and corruption goes on there, I am guessing they can give Chicago and DC a run for their money.  If a new sheriff comes into town on a platform to clean things up, he ought to be a little more careful in how he intends to do that.  In the grand scheme of things a PR blunder is not on par with executing insane policy with thuggish tactics ala Obama, so in that regard I'll cut Jindal some slack, but I think it fair to say he seems to be prone to making mistakes from time to time that leave people scratching their heads.  Another part of the problem is that he burst onto the scene so fast and was hailed as a rising star and as such is being more scrutinized and critiqued.  He was perhaps built up too much, and our expectations of him were equally over built.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
What's the story on Jindal?  I really haven't paid much attention to him.  Some of my family likes him for whatever reason but I've gotten the impression some here aren't so impressed.

If by "Here" you mean Louisiana voters, you'd be correct in that assumption. Jindal ran as a conservative. I was impressed so I gave him my vote. Unfortunately, we've gotten anything but. He ran on cutting the budget and not raising taxes. Taxes haven't been raised, but we have these "Fees" that keep popping up. Cutting the budget has been a joke. The only time he seems to be around to actually govern is when he got TV time for the BP oil spill. The rest of the time he seems to be out of state for fund raisers, mostly his.

I could go on, but the bottom line is the people of LA are not fond of our esteemed governor. The only good thing I can think of is at least I don't think we have to worry about him going to jail. ::whoohoo::

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »

Seems like just being a Republican in Louisiana is swimming upstream.
[blockquote]
Hayride

Governor Jindal has said that HB 591 represents an actual tax increase and that he will veto it

Conversely, House Speaker Jim Tucker(R) was quoted in the Baton Rouge Advocate on May 20th: “I intend to vote for it [the tax] because I don’t want to reduce taxes on cigarettes”. According to several sources, the Speaker has been working behind the scenes to rally seventy house members to override the Governor’s veto.

The Tea Party of Louisiana demands that Jim Tucker resign as Speaker of the house.
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
Houma, Louisiana

In the wrangling over how to plug a more than $1 billion state budget deficit during the ongoing legislative session, the renewal of a 4-cent tax on cigarettes that brings in about $12 million a year should have been low-hanging fruit.

The tax renewal passed the state House of Representatives and Senate with comfortable bipartisan support before winding up on Gov. Bobby Jindal's desk Monday, when he vetoed the bill as promised.

“I have made a commitment to the taxpayers of Louisiana to oppose all attempts to raise taxes,”
his terse explanation reads.
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
Jindal and Louisiana's economic development megafund programme similar to Texas business incentive programme

Gov. Bobby Jindal and northeastern Louisiana lawmakers will try to keep the Next Autoworks’ project alive by attempting to add a $50 million state incentive for the start-up company into the capital outlay bill.

The company hopes to build its new high-mileage, gasoline-powered car in Ouachita Parish at the former Guide Corp. plant, where it promises 1,400 new direct jobs,...
[/blockquote]

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
Jindal is all about bribing a business to move to LA, but refuses to cut business taxes for existing businesses. Can you say RINO? ::gaah::

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:25 AM »
Not yet.

Texas has a business incentive plan that offers encouragement to businesses relocation not unlike Louisiana, it appears to achieve a good jobs/dollar return.

Expecting one man to turn a state with a cultural history of graft from it's inception into a functioning free market under law is a bit much.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:59:12 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
I grew up in Louisiana (New Orleans/Slidell) and according to Louisiana standards he is a Right wing nut job::whoohoo:: ::hysterical::,
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

hemm

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »
For me he jumped the shark a long time ago......so long ago I don't even remember what it was......but I know in my mind he's been dismissed as just another rino........

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »
Jindal is all about bribing a business to move to LA, but refuses to cut business taxes for existing businesses. Can you say RINO? ::gaah::

Did THE ADVOCATE in Baton Rouge endorse him ?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »

I don't know. I don't follow the Advocate since they're even more liberal than the Times-Pickyournose in N.O.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »

I don't know. I don't follow the Advocate since they're even more liberal than the Times-Pickyournose in N.O.

I was hoping things had changed since Linda Lightfoot was no longer the Editor In Chief . We locked horns quite a few times . She was a real lefty b*tch .

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »

[blockquote]
LA Lt. Gov: Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser (R), who became a national star during the oil spill, announced that he will run for Lt. Gov this year, against Republican incumbent Jay Dardenne, who is viewed as a moderate by some. He will be a very formidable opponent. He is a strong fundraiser and has self funding ability. He is the son of a former state Republican Party chairman. He will likely have the support of many parish presidents, including 2010 Lt. Gov candidate Kevin Davis. He is also expected to be supported by 2007 and 2010 candidate, country music singer Sammy Kershaw. Gov. Bobby Jindal and state party chairman Roger Villere, who also ran for Lt. Gov in 2010, will also likely back him. This also means that former LG Scott Angelle will run for SoS if he runs for office this year, as Jindal is close to both Nungesser and Angelle.
[/blockquote]