Author Topic: I got lucky today.  (Read 2545 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I got lucky today.
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
If you guys havent noticed Rice has gone up to about .50 a pound for the same bag I used to buy for .30 a pound. The local Hispanic store had a 20 pound bag of Rice for 4.99 with a 25.00 purchase.

So before the sale ends I'll have three 20 pound bags in the house.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: I got lucky today.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
How do you store it, and how long does it last in storage? I might need to look into this too.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
How do you store it, and how long does it last in storage? I might need to look into this too.

I use the Pandora method of making sure that nothing is living in it by putting it in the freezer for about three days. then I take it out spread it out on a table to let it dry then I bag it in zip locks squeeze the air out and put it in Food grade 5 gal. buckets that I got from a local bakery Washed nice and clean with soap and water and then I fill them with clean water add a little bleach to it and soak for an hour or so let dry then fill with the bags and cover it up.

The buckets I clean when I get them so they are ready to go when I need then. Being food grade I would use then for water storage too.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
Except, after freezing, Pandora doesn't spread it out to dry; she plops the bag on the kitchen counter for two/three days - giving it a shake every so often.  After that it's room temp and dry.  Theeeen I do the bag/bucket thingie.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »

Lasts almost indefinitely, I'd say, if the bucket is sealed and airtight and kept in cool/er dark place.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Except, after freezing, Pandora doesn't spread it out to dry; she plops the bag on the kitchen counter for two/three days - giving it a shake every so often.  After that it's room temp and dry.  Theeeen I do the bag/bucket thingie.

Saved me some work! ::bows::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Saved me some work! ::bows::

I'll bet!  You're welcome.