Author Topic: The unsurprising failure to regulate LAWs  (Read 229 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The unsurprising failure to regulate LAWs
« on: January 01, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
“At the present rate of progress, the pace of technological development risks overtaking our deliberations,” Switzerland’s Disarmament Ambassador, Felix Baumann, said.

The Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons which has 125 parties has been discussing possible limits on the use of lethal autonomous weapons, or LAWS, which are fully machine-operated and use new technology such as artificial intelligence and facial recognition.

U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres had called for countries to come up with an “ambitious plan” on new rules.

Sources following the talks said that Russia, India and the United States were among the countries who expressed doubts about the need for a new LAWS treaty.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-disarmament-idAFKBN2IW1UJ

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
Re: The unsurprising failure to regulate LAWs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 04:16:47 PM »
Yeah. No surprise. I do not know where you draw the line anyway.  AI and machine learning weapons may be more discerning than current dumber weapons. Existing weapons home in on heat or radar returns.

I expect to see more loitering AI systems that recognize and destroy radar dishes or certain vehicles. I wonder what a swarm of small hobby sized drones with machine vision would do to a S400 system. They are small and hard to shoot down I imagine.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The unsurprising failure to regulate LAWs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
It would in my opinion be a mixed bag, spectacular collateral-damage-free successes and nasty oops-our-bad disasters.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.