Author Topic: Mountain House freeze dried food - Review  (Read 1683 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Mountain House freeze dried food - Review
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
We recently tried two of the pouches:  Rice w/chicken and Beef Stroganoff.

The Rice w/chicken is just that:  mostly rice with some small chicken bits.  Overall, for rice, it was okay.

The Beef Stroganoff was better, but was long on noodles and short on beef.

The instructions say to add water to the pouch contents, zip it shut and let sit for 9 minutes.  We dumped the contents into Corningware dishes instead and let it rehydrate in them.   In hindsight, it might have been better to do it as instructed and check those results.  9 minutes wasn't enough to fully hydrate all of the mixtures and the Rice w/chicken needed more than two cups of water as it was a little dry at first.

All in all, not the best, but not too bad if this is all what there is to live on.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Mountain House freeze dried food - Review
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
 It's just to live on nobody said you had to enjoy it. But if hungry enough you might even like it.(yuck)
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
thanks.

I've been looking at them and wondering...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
thanks.

I've been looking at them and wondering...

The sauce and seasonings are done well; what is needed is more protein.

If you've got canned chicken or beef of some kind on hand, adding those to the dry ingredients before/after water would be a sufficient enhancement.  I imagine any pork wouldn't be an unwelcome addition either, or tuna*.

*Tastes like chicken.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:54:28 PM »
good to know Pan.

I've felt like I needed to have some of this available -- a few days of high calorie bars might not cut with the kids. 

I think I try a few out since they don't sound too horrible.

I guess I would throw a few cans of meat into the go pack too then.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."