Author Topic: "Forever preps"  (Read 30410 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "Forever preps"
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »
Oo!  Oo!  Oo!  Master-lister here!

As airtight as possible but I don't need to tell you that.  Got a vacuum sealer?  Glad sells a bag that one can seal in that manner without the machine.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »

As airtight as possible but I don't need to tell you that.  Got a vacuum sealer?  Glad sells a bag that one can seal in that manner without the machine.

Got any lit on that??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »

I do but the last time I used it it gave me problems and I didn't have time to really look at it.  Wasn't in the mood for a project.  I need to though.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »

I do but the last time I used it it gave me problems and I didn't have time to really look at it.  Wasn't in the mood for a project.  I need to though.

Okay, I erred (YEAH!  it happens!).  It's Reynold's.  See link/s in other post.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »

...just in case anyone missed THAT news bulletin
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »

::falldownshocked::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »

::saywhat::

Smashin' you.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »

You're next.   ::saywhat::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »

You're next.   ::saywhat::

I'm always on the list I know I know.  ::dueling::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »
Okay, all kidding aside, did you check the link?  Think it's an affordably viable option?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Okay, all kidding aside, did you check the link?  Think it's an affordably viable option?

I don't know it just sounds like it's going to die. That's the only time I have ever seen that thing I would feel better if I knew somebody that had one first.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »
I'm telling you Mom has one; it's a basic MANUAL mechanism.  I've seen the results and it's fine

So easy a 79 year-old woman can do it.

Look, almost the same effect can be achieved by inserting a soda straw in a plastic bag, sucking hard, and quickly sealing the thing.  With these, there's no leak while you're completing the seal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:04:07 PM by Pandora »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
I'm telling you Mom has one; it's a basic MANUAL mechanism.  I've seen the results and it's fine

So easy a 79 year-old woman can do it.

Look, almost the same effect can be achieved by inserting a soda straw in a plastic bag, sucking hard, and quickly sealing the thing.  With these, there's no leak while you're completing the seal.

I don't know how much vaccum it draws. But if you like it go for it.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »
I don't need it; I've got the vacuum sealer.  For the money, it doesn't seem a bad alternative, but you do what you want.

Pain in the ass .......

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »
I don't need it; I've got the vacuum sealer.  For the money, it doesn't seem a bad alternative, but you do what you want.

Pain in the ass .......

Always do. ::curtsy4::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
The Ziploc starter kit is $4, for anybody else who is curious.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
You know, I've had mixed success with the pump-seal ziplocs. It seems that if you use them for freezer storage, they work quite well. I use them to vacuum seal fish, and have never had a seal break yet. But I stored a whole bunch of rice and beans in them, and many of the bags lost their seal over time. Maybe they're just for freezer storage, and I never checked? I just thought since they work so well for the freezer, they'd work for other stuff, so I got some and used them for dry storage.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
You know, I've had mixed success with the pump-seal ziplocs. It seems that if you use them for freezer storage, they work quite well. I use them to vacuum seal fish, and have never had a seal break yet. But I stored a whole bunch of rice and beans in them, and many of the bags lost their seal over time. Maybe they're just for freezer storage, and I never checked? I just thought since they work so well for the freezer, they'd work for other stuff, so I got some and used them for dry storage.

Thanks for the review.  Mom uses them for freezer storage, so that's all I had to go on.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »

Thanks for the review.  Mom uses them for freezer storage, so that's all I had to go on.

Yup. For freezer, I've had 100% success. But I've had the rice and beans stored for about a year and a half, and I'd say about 2/3 of the seals are no longer airtight. I started with 40 pounds of each (pinto beans and rice) portioned out into meal-for-5-sized bags, so going through and trying to reseal each is a PITA.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson