Author Topic: Gotta give Pawlenty credit where it's due (video)  (Read 1338 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Gotta give Pawlenty credit where it's due (video)
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
Pawlenty's main problem is that he comes across as a polished, cautious, neutered politician in an era where Americans sniff a whiff of that and automatically and understandably assume they're not smelling authenticity. This clip gives no exception to that dynamic. Pawlenty IS a polished and cautious politician, and it seems that is not going to change. Every time he tries, THAT comes across as disingenuous. We get the REAL Tim Pawlenty when he's being a polished and cautious politician. That's an awful situation for someone who wants to be President right now.

But all that said, he scored one major point in the Fox News debate a few nights ago, and he deserves credit. And I'm here to tell you after a decade observing this guy, this position he's staking out is no mask. He believes this. He's always been about unleashing the free market, and when he goes there, you can believe him.

His "I'm just a regular guy from a meatpacking town" preamble is an example of why people can't seem to warm up to T-Paw. But when he gets to his actual position on this issue, he's dead on, and deserves to be heard.

Pawlenty on Obama Admin's 'Preposterous' Attacks on Boeing
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Gotta give Pawlenty credit where it's due (video)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
Give him credit for not being Romneywashy for his past moronic positions.  AS Rush put it, Pawlenty threw himself under the bus with regards to global warming.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
Give him credit for not being Romneywashy for his past moronic positions.  AS Rush put it, Pawlenty threw himself under the bus with regards to global warming.

Here again a gutsy call!! But what choices did he have?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Give him credit for not being Romneywashy for his past moronic positions.  AS Rush put it, Pawlenty threw himself under the bus with regards to global warming.

Yes he did indeed, as did Gingrich. The sad part for Pawlenty is that I think he jumped on the bandwagon as a matter of political expediency when it seemed like Global Warming was a juggernaut issue. I'm not convinced he ever believed it, which really is the problem in and of itself.

If I had to make a judgment call, I would say that Pawlenty is a conservative who moved Left when it seemed politically expedient to do so rather than because he holds liberal beliefs. Hmmmm.... now what McOther McPolitician suffers from the same McProblem?

It all boils down to consistent conservatism, demonstrably principled positions, honesty, fearlessness, and authenticity for the GOP under the new Tea Party watchful eye. I think T-Paw's probably a pretty honest guy. The rest? Notsomuch.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
Give him credit for not being Romneywashy for his past moronic positions.  AS Rush put it, Pawlenty threw himself under the bus with regards to global warming.

Yes he did indeed, as did Gingrich. The sad part for Pawlenty is that I think he jumped on the bandwagon as a matter of political expediency when it seemed like Global Warming was a juggernaut issue. I'm not convinced he ever believed it, which really is the problem in and of itself.

If I had to make a judgment call, I would say that Pawlenty is a conservative who moved Left when it seemed politically expedient to do so rather than because he holds liberal beliefs. Hmmmm.... now what McOther McPolitician suffers from the same McProblem?

It all boils down to consistent conservatism, demonstrably principled positions, honesty, fearlessness, and authenticity for the GOP under the new Tea Party watchful eye. I think T-Paw's probably a pretty honest guy. The rest? Notsomuch.

Thank you.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
He also did well in countering Paul on EIT's, which is also a change in position from him from when he was romancing McCain for a shot at Veep in '08.  But we need more than bits and pieces, we need the whole package.  But when someone says something right, it should be backed up by others.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:34 AM »
The nation yearns for an unapologetic conservative. When one shows up let me know.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:45:17 AM »
The nation yearns for an unapologetic conservative. When one shows up let me know.

When they show up, the Left destroys them, and conservatives allow it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »

When they show up, the Left destroys them, and conservatives allow it.

Not all conservatives...mostly The Butthead and his Rovian minions, the typical Ruling Class RINO pukes and sundry other eunuchs and such.

The war to sanitize the party is coming to a head soon, if the false conservatives aren't reigned in, the GOP will split apart.

Frankly, 2012 is the first of many in a string of elections that cannot be lost to the enemy.  Understand that meaning?  From now on our enemies within the party and the DemonRats, cannot be given any more victories, especially in primaries for the former and in the general to the latter.  They only have to win once, we cannot lose once, or I think the whole game is over in all practicality.  There is simply too much that has to be done.  We no longer have the luxury of time, no time to incrementally roll back what has been rolled over us, and certainly there is no time to trade power back and forth with the DemonRats, that only allows them to gain more ground.

I am close to losing all illusion that elections matter any longer...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »
[blockquote]
Tim Pawlenty Impresses Right Online #RO11

The energy level was not the same as with Michele Bachmann, but then the speech was a different sort of speech.
Consider that he arrived ten minutes before his speech after multiple flight problems and used neither notes nor the podium to make his case. The crowd responded extremely positively to a guy who could, unlike Obama, speak without a teleprompter and, unlike Bush, not make a series of unfortunate verbal gaffes as a result.
Maybe it is the gradual evolution of Pawlenty on the campaign trail as he continues to build steam or maybe people are just noticing. But his speech, unteleprompted, without notes, and without time to decompress from his flight before taking stage, was the kind of speech a Presidential candidate gives who is the kind of candidate you must take seriously whether you want to or not.
[blockquote]

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »
[blockquote]
Tim Pawlenty Impresses Right Online #RO11

The energy level was not the same as with Michele Bachmann, but then the speech was a different sort of speech.
Consider that he arrived ten minutes before his speech after multiple flight problems and used neither notes nor the podium to make his case. The crowd responded extremely positively to a guy who could, unlike Obama, speak without a teleprompter and, unlike Bush, not make a series of unfortunate verbal gaffes as a result.
Maybe it is the gradual evolution of Pawlenty on the campaign trail as he continues to build steam or maybe people are just noticing. But his speech, unteleprompted, without notes, and without time to decompress from his flight before taking stage, was the kind of speech a Presidential candidate gives who is the kind of candidate you must take seriously whether you want to or not.
[blockquote]

And this from the same guy who supported Zeigler trashing Palin?  Methinks I smell a Ruling Class lurker!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »

Good fact check.