Author Topic: Rick Perry, eh? Think again.  (Read 7864 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Rick Perry, eh? Think again.
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
Rick Perry:  A Moderate's Conservative

If you liked George Bush, you will love Rick Perry. 

Every day we in Texas hear disbelieving conservative citizens on local talk radio asking "...is the national media serious about Rick Perry as a conservative president?"

Because here in Texas, we know Rick Perry is anything but a conservative.

As the moderates realize the country wants a conservative president, they want to find us one.  Romney was fine until ObamaCare was modeled on his RomneyCare.  Kind of looks fatal to the moderates.  So, who's next?

How about Perry?  Hey, he is a conservative -- the moderate's kind of conservative.  Does that Bible thing, talks secession.  Let's go!

Perry, as was Bush before him and Romney is today, is a slick, chameleon politician who changes his colors for the times.  Rick Perry is a former Democrat, Al Gore's state chairman in 1988, a big government type who used an executive order to try to force Texas children entering 6th grade to be injected with Gardasil, a drug to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.  Mandated -- sound conservative to you?

So you think government is getting intrusive?  Think ObamaCare is forcing you to choose one kind of healthcare?  So just how does it feel to have your 11-year-old daughter tell you she has to be treated with Gardasil to protect her against STDs?

That's Rick Perry, folks.  And fortunately both houses of the Texas Legislature overruled him after he signed the executive order demanding such a fatuous action.  Sound like a small-government conservative to you?

Any concerns on illegal immigration?  Maybe you feel open borders are a problem?  Well, Rick Perry has quite an answer for you.  His signature legislation was the Trans-Texas Corridor, where Texas would use its eminent domain to take a mile-wide swath of land from the Texas border to the Oklahoma border and turn it over to a Spanish company for a highway, rail corridor.  And, anyone from Mexico could travel into Texas, with no customs check until they hit Kansas.

If you like open borders, you will love Rick Perry.

And the Arizona immigration law passed last year?  "It's not for Texas," says Perry.

Perhaps you do not understand hate crime legislation is an underhanded way to control free speech.  Rick Perry is your guy.  He not only signed the Texas hate crime legislation, he made a very big deal about why it was needed.

The Rick Perry interest today is instructive in how gullible non-conservatives are for anyone who seems, well, conservative.  These moderates hate conservatives -- see how they attack Sarah Palin even when she is not a candidate.  Yet they pant ravenously about a new, clean, successful "conservative" like Perry, who is anything but a conservative, to lead them to the Promised Land.

The Texas Governor's office is among the weakest in the country.  The Texas Governor does not do much -- so the massive success Texas has shown in job creation does not come from Rick Perry, but from the people here who live their lives and run their businesses, conservatively.  They elect a conservative legislature that passes conservative laws.  That conservative legislature overrules Rick Perry.

Moderates who are now championing the need for a "conservative" like Perry are the same ones who tell us Sarah Palin cannot win.  They tell us Michele Bachmann is a nutcase.  Palin and Bachmann cannot win because, well, they are really conservative -- out of the mainstream.  Doesn't make sense, does it? 

Perry is their kind of conservative, a moderate's conservative.

While we welcome Rick Perry to the conservative party, we know he is here because it is the best party in town.  And when it isn't, he will be a moderate again, with great hair, trying to open our borders and force our children to be inoculated against STDs, against their parents' will.

I hope that we will have a conservative legislature to reverse him.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

hemm

Re: Rick Perry, eh? Think again.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
last line: I hope

I have had enough of hope.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
Perry, as was Bush before him and Romney is today, is a slick, chameleon politician who changes his colors for the times.  Rick Perry is a former Democrat, Al Gore's state chairman in 1988, a big government type who used an executive order to try to force Texas children entering 6th grade to be injected with Gardasil, a drug to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.  Mandated -- sound conservative to you?

Not to me. 

I'm sick of every time a moderate or liberal acts even remotely conservative or says something conservative people fall all over themselves trying to define him as conservative!

We have enough real conservative candidates we don't need their pathetic attempts to help us along!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
I knew it.  I just don't trust the guy.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
If you read the multitude of columns and stories at WND over the last decade you would have seen the Perry connection to Gardasil's madate signed by Perry. He's well spoke therefoe, I trust him less, however after the Gardasil fiasco, he can stay where he's at in Tx doing little as a Gov. should. The Tx state legislature only meets every other year leaving very lettle time to do the damage so many other state bodies can and do.

He had an oppurtunity to arrest the usurper months back but chickened out. No sir, not needed or wanted, RINO stay home.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
It seems the best thing you can say about a lot of these candidates (or would-be candidates) is "he's certainly better than what we've got now!", and indeed the very same could be said about a wad of chewing gum on the sidewalk or that turd that steadfastly refuses to go down your federally-mandated low flow toilet. The point is, the country is in a precarious condition where another anointed Ruling Class choice isn't going to cut it.

On another note - yes, it may be a facile complaint, but do we really want our standard bearer for 2012 to be another Texas governor whose speechifyin' is so immediately reminiscent of W?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:22:30 AM »
Well, this is why we have primaries, now, isn't it? So that we can take a very good look at our options and (hopefully) choose the best one. Or the least worst one.

And, yes, anyone at all would be better than what we have now.

As to the Gardasil thing, it does not concern me much. We have a long history of mandating immunizing treatments for particularly bad diseases. Gardisil prevents infection from exposure to HPV which is mostly (but not always) transmitted through sexual contact. Since the virus does not always result in a disease, a person (male) can carry it and unknowingly pass it on to a marriage partner (female). Seems to me that immunizing women (who get cervical cancer from HPV) is not a particularly bad idea.  To me, the Gardasil thing in this article is reaching here. The author is starting off by painting Perry as sinister when he really isn't. You may disagree with his decision but his intention can just as easily be interpreted as noble. It's a point of view thing. Deal with it.

I love the "Perry used to be a Democrat" angle. Great point if you believe that no one can ever change their minds, have an epiphany and *gasp* change parties. Once a Democrat, always a Democrat, eh? If that is and always has been the standard then guess who would not have been allowed to join our little club? Uh...Ronald Reagan comes to my mind first. And for that matter, the stronghold of conservative Republicans is geographically centered in the southern states which until recently were overwhelmingly Democrat. This was a very stupid point by the post author. People change. Sometimes for the better. Again, deal with it.

The illegal alien/border security thing is a potential problem and I will be listening carefully to hear that explained or walked back if he enters the race. Until then it's not an issue. I don't know about you but I get really pissed off when someone quotes a person ("It's not for Texas," says Perry) out of context and provides no link at all to the quote. I expect that kind of crap from the left. Who is this thread author, Jay Valentine anyway? Anyone, besides me, at all curious?

As to the Trans-Texas Corridor or TTC...gee, where to begin? I guess I would start with these two sentences:

Texas would use its eminent domain to take a mile-wide swath of land from the Texas border to the Oklahoma border and turn it over to a Spanish company for a highway, rail corridor.  And, anyone from Mexico could travel into Texas, with no customs check until they hit Kansas.

First of all there is nothing unusual about a state, any state, using eminent domain to acquire property for the purpose of road/rail building or for other infrastructure related uses. All states do this and all states always have. Nothing sinister about it. (Using eminent domain to enhance property tax collection is a completely different issue and is quite sinister)

Second, a quickie look at the proposal has the TTC at 1200 feet at its widest. Now, math is not my strong suit but I am pretty sure that 1200 feet isn't even a quarter of a mile. Granted, it's big. Very big. Almost certainly too big to have ever been created as conceived but bleating about the TTC being a "mile-wide swath" is gross exaggeration that borders on the ridiculous and damages the credibility of the post author.

Third, what is this sinister "Spanish company" that Perry is going to turn the TTC over to? The answer was Cintra S. A. (which, as of 2009, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ferrovial Group, another Spanish multi-national). But, as it turns out, that isn't really even half of the truth. The I-35 portion of the TTC was planned by Cintra-Zachry. Who is Zachry? A San Antonio based road construction company. Cintra-Zachry was hired to plan (i.e. prepare a study) the proposed I-35 portion of the TTC. Since the TTC never came close to being a reality we will never know which, if any, company would be awarded the contract to actually build the I-35 portion of the TTC. So...hysterical talk of a sinister "Spanish" company (which just happened to specialize in toll road construction) is just that: hysterical talk. And BTW, how was Perry going to "turn over" the TTC to a "Spanish" company? By fiat? And for what purpose? Really, this is more than totally stupid.

The TTC was a big idea. And it was much more than just the I-35 corridor. It was to be a series of corridors (4,000 frickin' miles of them) that criss-crossed Texas in several different directions from border to border with the goal being to increase commerce in Texas, for Texans, by providing a modern, integrated approach to moving goods, energy and information. The fact that one part of the TTC just happened to be connected to Mexico was the talking point that serial conspiracy mongers like Jerome Corsi latched onto to drum up paranoia via the open border/illegal immigrant issue. Jerome Corsi is a nut. And he preys on the weak minded with his conspiracy theory publications so that makes him a sick, opportunistic nut.

But getting back to the "turn it over to whoever" point. This is utter b u l l s h i t. Toll roads are all over the country. Why do you think that is? A state needs a road. The state doesn't have the money to pay for the road and can't raise taxes to pay for it because of the usual reasons. So what does the state do? Well, in some cases it gets a large multi-national company that may or may not be based in the USA (like, say, Haliburton) to build the road in exchange for allowing the multi-national to operate it as a toll road. The multi-national gets paid for its work, the state gets its road and no one has to use it if they don't want to. Everyone wins. Big deal.

The whole notion that the TTC was going to be some kind of spooky one-world government thing was preposterous from the get go. It was an extension of NAFTA. Now you may or may not like NAFTA. That's a totally different subject that is beyond the scope of this post and I am not going there. But, I will lump NAFTA and the concept of the TTC together in one general, traditionally conservative, idea called "free trade." That's really more or less what the TTC was supposed to be, infrastructure in Texas to enhance free trade. It was all about benefitting Texas business. Period. No one-world shadow government conspiracy. Sorry to disappoint but thinking of the TTC this way is as goofy as trutherism and birtherism. Was it way too big a concept? Absolutely. It was Perry's monorail, pure and simple. It was never going to happen as originally conceived and because it was such a huge over-reach it collapsed under its own weight before it ever got out of the planning stages.

Finally, the last point about "Mezkins" traveling through Texas into Kansas without a customs check is absurd on its face. First, border security between Mexico and the US (whether we are talking about Texas, New Mexico, Arizona or California) is a federal matter, remember? I know, it's easy to forget since the feds have largely abandoned the whole notion of border security and places like Arizona have had to step up and fill the gap but, nevertheless, it's still true. Texas could, like Arizona, step up and enforce federal law on their own but they have absolutely no say whatsoever in diminishing border crossing and/or customs laws. The quoted sentence also implies that Texas could pass a law that would give them the ability to build a state highway through Oklahoma on the way to Kansas. Good luck with that.

And, then there is the point made in the article about Perry being a weak, moderate governor who is largely a figurehead anyway and is, thankfully, restrained by a conservative legislature. I guess that would be the same legislature that funded the TTC study legislation that was supposed to be a big Perry conspiracy thingy. The same legislature that also passed the hate crime legislation. Oops. Now, I think hate crime legislation is bullsh*t but make up your mind here...either Perry is a weak governor who can't do anything and is constantly reigned in by an ultra conservative legislature or he's some kind of king who does whatever he wants. Somehow the TTC and hate crime legislation made it to his desk. How did it happen? These are very poor argument points being made by this post author.

Perry may or may not be a true conservative in the Reagan mold. That remains to be seen and will almost certainly be hashed out seven ways to Sunday before the Iowa caucuses or the New Hampshire primary (Hey, want a real conspiracy? How is it that these two nutty states have such a disproportionate say in who becomes our nominee?). Personally, I will be supporting the candidate who, on balance, best represents the conservative agenda. There is no perfect candidate. There are most certainly some dyed-in-the-wool RINOs (or moderates if you prefer) out there that I cannot see supporting in the primaries...Huntsman comes immediately to mind. But discounting Perry this quickly over some half baked post from the American Thinker is, in my opinion, rendering a rather hasty judgement...sh*t, we don't even know if Perry is going to run.

Give it time. Hear a few more debates. Listen to a few more stump speeches. Do due diligence on all of the candidates. And then throw your support to the one who, on balance, is the most conservative one for you.

And that's all that I'm going to say about that.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:43:04 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »
Seems to me that immunizing women (who get cervical cancer from HPV) is not a particularly bad idea.

But we're not talking about women.  We're talking about mandatory immunization of 11-14 year old girls.

No.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:41:54 AM »
Seems to me that immunizing women (who get cervical cancer from HPV) is not a particularly bad idea.

But we're not talking about women.  We're talking about mandatory immunization of 11-14 year old girls.

No.

Again, it's a point of view thing. We can agree to disagree. Would I have done it? Probably not. But there is most certainly precedent. That is, mandating an immunization for a communicable disease is nothing new.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »

No.

Again, it's a point of view thing. We can agree to disagree. Would I have done it? Probably not. But there is most certainly precedent. That is, mandating an immunization for a communicable disease is nothing new.

This is not just a "communicable disease".  It involves conduct, not proximity or breathing, and of activities of an intimate nature that children should not be engaging. Besides the high-handed nature of government insisting on vaccinating girls against STD's, it smacks of "stick your 14 year-old on birth control, avoid pregnancy" type of condoning since "you can't stop them".

No governor of any state has any business mandating such a thing, particularly one that touts his pro-life/pro-family credentials.

I'm not even going to go into the NAFTA Superhighway dealio, since I looked closely into it at the time and it friggin stinks to high heaven.

This man has no hard and fast principles either and I'm sick and tired of having to look the other way on this type of thing.

Business as usual is over.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:28 AM »

No.

This is not just a "communicable disease".  It involves conduct, not proximity or breathing, and of activities of an intimate nature that children should not be engaging. Besides the high-handed nature of government insisting on vaccinating girls against STD's, it smacks of "stick your 14 year-old on birth control, avoid pregnancy" type of condoning since "you can't stop them".

My knowledge of HPV is, admittedly, limited. But what I think I know is that an adult woman not previously immunized could be infected by her husband if he became infected earlier in life and was unaware of it. Since it is a sad reality that some "girls" do, in fact engage in sexual relations at a very early age I can see the intention of picking this age range to begin immunization. Not that I agree with it. I would make it voluntary with full parental involvement and buy off. But I would most certainly offer it to girls at that age under those conditions. That's me.

Perry f**ked up the execution IMO.

For me, this, in and of itself, is not a deal breaker. It just means that he's capable of making a mistake.

It bears closer and further investigation.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »
And again, IF Perry is going to run THEN these things become relevant.

Romney IS running and has steadfastly refused to walk back RomneyCare. He refused to sign the pro-life statement last week. He stubbornly clings to AGW as a belief (article of faith) and paradoxically as "science." Thus, I don't see Romney as a credible candidate in the primary.

IF Perry runs and if he, like Romney, has no answer for these issues or refuses to admit a past mistake then I will have no use for him either.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »

No.

My knowledge of HPV is, admittedly, limited. But what I think I know is that an adult woman not previously immunized could be infected by her husband if he became infected earlier in life and was unaware of it. Since it is a sad reality that some "girls" do, in fact engage in sexual relations at a very early age I can see the intention of picking this age range to begin immunization. Not that I agree with it. I would make it voluntary with full parental involvement and buy off. But I would most certainly offer it to girls at that age under those conditions. That's me.

Perry f**ked up the execution IMO.

Offer?  Yes.  Mandate?  No.  Not.his.business.

Here's a little info on HPV:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

Keep in mind, women should be getting regular PAP smears to check for all sorts of things, so if they're doing as they should, this cancer is catchable and treatable early.

What alarmed me about this vaccination issue initially, besides the governor mandating it, was the side-effects.  They overrode the need to vaccinate, in my opinion, unless it was left to the individual or her parents to decide on the risk-factors.

For me, this, in and of itself, is not a deal breaker. It just means that he's capable of making a mistake.

It bears closer and further investigation.

That's true, and if he admits it as a mistake, I can deal with that.  If he defends it, then no.

Aren't you by now, trap, equally disgusted with people like Perry deciding for you and your children how to live?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
Pan, I have to agree with you on the gardisil.  This vaccine is/was supposed to be a money maker for Merck.  I mean what parent wouldn't want their child to be able to have indiscriminate sex starting at 11 years old?  No, but wait it only protects against 4 of the several strains of HPV so you still have to get a pap smear every year!  What a protection.  Children and women have died from this in addition to other side effects.  The outcry about this has been so great that I guess Merck needs states to mandate it.  I did a lot of research on this when it hit the news and I didn't read anything that even remotely convinced me that my 4 daughters were getting it.  Since then my two adult daughters looked into it and they said no way.

No doubt Perry heard all these complaints and just couldn't leave it to families to decide.  That tells me a lot about him.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 06:10:35 AM »
Pan, I have to agree with you on the gardisil.  This vaccine is/was supposed to be a money maker for Merck.  I mean what parent wouldn't want their child to be able to have indiscriminate sex starting at 11 years old?  No, but wait it only protects against 4 of the several strains of HPV so you still have to get a pap smear every year!  What a protection.  Children and women have died from this in addition to other side effects.  The outcry about this has been so great that I guess Merck needs states to mandate it.  I did a lot of research on this when it hit the news and I didn't read anything that even remotely convinced me that my 4 daughters were getting it.  Since then my two adult daughters looked into it and they said no way.

No doubt Perry heard all these complaints and just couldn't leave it to families to decide.  That tells me a lot about him.

Don't forget mentioning Merck's heavy contribution to Perry's political world.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »
Not Highway 69 again....

::foilhathelicopter::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
On a sober note, that article on Perry is certainly not written to be flattering of the Texas Governor.  Is he a moderate like W before him?  Probably.  Is he worse than Huntsman who just announced?  Doubtful.  Are citizens, as the MFM is saying, dreading electing another Texan?  Probably overblown, as usual.  The better question is are conservatives weary of another Texas moderate, that could be yes.  Would I take him over Obamakov?  In a heartbeat.  As it is he hasn't even announced yet, and if he does, the primaries and debates will pin him down and while some may take issue with some of his decisions, I don't view them as fatal, the process will sort them out.  If that article is all they have on Perry, there is nothing there that is not recoverable, and Trap did a good job explaining to deep federal role in the TTC.  I see no reason to get my shorts in a twist...yet.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »
"but his intention can just as easily be interpreted as noble."

That is the why liberals do what they do.
Noble intentions.

Our Liberty continues to erode faster and faster.

Not malicious intent but noble intentions.

Sorry, trap. You're wrong on noble intentions as a justification

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:55:46 AM »
Was it something like Oldguy, who Highway 69 was his number 1 issue in life?  That was some funny stuff, back in the Powerline days.

::rolllaughing::