Author Topic: Rock Stars: Then and Now  (Read 3182 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Rock Stars: Then and Now
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
Pat Benatar held up pretty well.

Linda Ronstadt did not.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »

Linda Ronstadt did not.

Saw Rondstadt as the opening act for The Eagles in 1975 in Roanoke, VA.  That was still her calico country period.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »

Linda Ronstadt did not.

Saw Rondstadt as the opening act for The Eagles in 1975 in Roanoke, VA.  That was still her calico country period.

I never saw Ronstadt in concert, but she was hella cute back in the 70s.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
Wow. Took a while to scroll through that list.

For all of the comments about Linda Rondstat, the one that I thought looked the most bizarre was Grace Slick.

Not that there weren't many others that looked "rode hard and put up wet" as they say.

A life of sex and drugs and rock and roll does take its toll. Although, I would say that drugs, alcohol and drugs were probably the greatest factors in ungraceful aging.

Admittedly, though, some of these people were not blessed with photogenic looks to begin with...Neil Young comes to mind...and when you start with less than great looks it almost never gets better with time.

Still, not as bad as the Faces Of Meth before and after pics seen elsewhere on the web.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »

Linda Ronstadt did not.

I never saw Ronstadt in concert, but she was hella cute back in the 70s.

To be honest, I didn't care that she was on the bill; When Will I Be Loved was her big hit at the time.  I went to see The Eagles and their On The Border tour.  Some of my favorite Eagles tunes are on that album.  There are also some pretty sacharine syruppy am radio bubble gum crap, too.  But that's the beauty of a cd over the cassette I had way back when.  Skip over the bubble gum and go right for Already Gone, James Dean or Good Day in Hell.

In the early '80's, I saw Linda Rondstadt on Broadway in Joseph Papp's production of Pirates of Penzance, with Peter Noone (of Herman's Hermits fame).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
The Nuge and Joan Jett have held up extremely well, Bonjovi's holding his own and Richie Sambora is still pretty.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
The Nuge and Joan Jett have held up extremely well, Bonjovi's holding his own and Richie Sambora is still pretty.

Me too!  ;)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 04:34:25 AM »
About the only musician I still follow nowadays is Bob Dylan.  He just turned 70 in May, and while he looks his age, he carries it well.  You can see a hint of a Mona Lisa smile in his current photo.  He's doing fine.  He tours constantly and has a terrific band.  I try to see him whenever he's in my area, which is once or twice a year.  I last saw him in November in Bethlehem, PA*, and I just bought a ticket for his August show in Scranton.  That's a two-hour drive, which is a little long for me these days.  But neither of us are getting any younger, so I want to see him as many times as I can, while I still can.

His last several albums have been outstanding.  He plays a mixture of old and new songs in his live shows, but I've said many times that I wouldn't mind seeing a concert consisting entirely of post-2000 songs.  They're that good.  Anybody who thinks he's just a nostalgia act is in for a helluva surprise.

*Here's a review of that show.  The comments are worth reading, because they display a wide spectrum of audience reactions.  They're all over the map, in fact.  Compare my comment with "Jack" right before mine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:17:19 AM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 06:25:41 AM »
Speaking of holding up, the Senior Pastor at Calvary Chapel in Broomfield, Colorado hasn't aged too badly.

Richie's still got game

Richie Furay - Man of Many Sorrows (Poco, Pakaderm)