Author Topic: Russia  (Read 1888 times)

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Russia
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2024, 09:33:28 PM »

I like this guy. He grew up in Ukraine maybe first a village then Kiev. He taught in a summer camp in US MI teaching photography then moved here. He has lots of factual videos on growing up there. Here he makes a long requested video. How was the 1980 US hockey victory over USSR covered?

In short, covered in brief on the last page of a USSR sports newspaper. In the US he watched the Miracle on Ice. He was rutting for the USSR and his US  kids got real pissed at him which he found funny.

Everybody remembers where they were during that hockey game, correct? I do. Madison WI was shut down during that game. No one out on the streets. Much later, I heard the USSR goalie moved to Minneapolis. I recall he failed to catch the last goal. Herb, the coach died in a single car accident, likely asleep from sleep apnea.

Not worth watching IMO.
https://youtu.be/ylBeEdyHcYg
 Soviet Reaction to the "Miracle On Ice" in Lake Placid #olympics

also
https://youtu.be/KUfEKDG0s4A
New Zealand Girl Reacts to the MIRACLE - THE GREATEST AMERICAN SPORTS MOMENT OF ALL TIME
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 08:26:24 AM »
Well, my father rooting for the Soviets would be like my father embracing Satan...just not going to happen...we were both raised and trained to kill Soviets and all commie rat bastards...somebody pull a stunt like that in my family gets excommunicated!

It also looks like a cautionary tale about being very careful who you let into the country to me...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 02:08:35 PM »

The Ukr ex pat, current US citizen watched the movie version(?) of the game after he moved here and had US kids.
He is not pro USSR in politics but was cheering on the home team when they made a goal which pissed off his kids.

He makes videos describing everyday life growing  up and I like such material. He did one long video on Soviet military. If you went to certain tech universities you were exempt from conscription but had to pick them carefully. If you failed that school's entrance exam you got drafted the next day and  served then 2 years. Now maybe one. I think they had something like ROTC at those schools.

He said people brought their own food to hospitals. He suspects that the staff stole some food and the good food was diluted or reduced in portions. He had some eye surgery as his eyesight was terrible. I then remembered that Russians/USSR invented Lasik.

The best jobs were those that allowed you to have access to scarce goods like a butcher, retail, cook, or even waiter. In those pre internet days certain jobs allowed you to network and gather scarce information by talking to people. E.g. cab driver. That also allowed access to scarce goods.  BTW Putin worked as a cab driver for a while in st. Pete as I recall.

He describes the good and the bad but some people get all butt hurt if he says anything positive about growing up in USSR.m

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 08:14:28 AM »
At the very least idiot ought to know his audience...Americans don't root for Soviets no matter the excuse...those who do get their asses kicked, should have kept that crap bottled up...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 05:04:34 PM »
In short, I saw a headline for a large protest in Russia and thought maybe anti war? So I clicked. Some popular local guy got a long sentence for allegedly inciting violence against immigrants from central aisa. IMO not worth watching the video.

There is this Russian YT guy, maybe left Russia in protest against the ukr invasion? Depressing guy so I do not watch much. All he does is piss and moan.  I did not watch the whole video.
He came in my YT feed so i clicked. There is some protest quite large. I know that RU has laws against inciting religious or ethnic hatred.The protests were against a heavy sentence for a popular local guy.
Here is the BBC version.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68029262
Bashkir singer Altynai Valitov was visited by local authorities in Ufa after he put out a call on Instagram for protests to take place both in Bashkortostan and elsewhere in Russia.

Fail Alsynov was convicted of insulting migrants at a demonstration against plans to mine for gold, but supporters said it was delayed revenge for his activism in preventing soda mining in what locals consider a sacred place.

He is said to have called Central Asians and Caucasians, who make up most of Russia's migrant population, "black people", considered a derogatory term in Russian.

But he insists the words he used in the Bashkir language mean "poor people" and were mistranslated into Russian. He intends to appeal against the verdict.

Alsynov has also in the past criticised military mobilisation in the region as "genocide" of the Bashkir people, a Turkic race closely related to the Tatars which inhabits the southern Ural mountains.

https://youtu.be/ehqlcC_O32U

RUSSIAN PROVINCE BASHKORTOSTAN IS PROTESTING | Breaking News!
INSIDE RUSSIA

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 05:17:13 PM »

Have the ex Ukr guy tells some jokes.

A local artist gets his art work inspected by culture/censorship board. The painting has 3 naked black men, one with a white penis.  The boards asks why 3 black men instead of Russian proletarians. Artist says these are 3 white coal miners about to take a shower before going home.

So why the white penis? That miner went home for lunch.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 08:51:05 AM »
Da!   ::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 04:10:52 PM »

Reminds me of an older story. USSR or RU was building a gas pipeline but did not have the SW to control the stations. So they decided to steal the SW from a US company. CIA found out and planted flaky SW which was stolen. The SW would intermittently stress the system.  Finally there was a major explosion maybe in Siberia. Seen from space.

So this SW was a little like the stuxnet SW but not as clever.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 01:09:32 PM »

I recently learned from various sources that Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was mostly a fraud who made things up. He greatly exaggerated the number of people in the Gulags. His wife said he just made things up. Russians mostly despised him. After 1991 the records became available but he refused to revise anything pointing out that the Gulag books were fiction, as indicated in the title.

He was a useful idiot for the west.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 02:46:20 PM »
Sure, commies kept good records of who went to gulag, who perished...who was executed in the woods...totally believable. 

As always what number makes it right or wrong in the end?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2024, 04:17:19 PM »
Sure, commies kept good records of who went to gulag, who perished...who was executed in the woods...totally believable. 

I think than they did keep good records. They had some sort of legal fetish. The trials were not fair or just but they checked off all the boxes.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2024, 08:04:06 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2024, 08:05:36 AM »

I think than they did keep good records. They had some sort of legal fetish. The trials were not fair or just but they checked off all the boxes.

So the right number is 1:1 with the number star-chambered and guilty...

Good to know

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 02:44:28 PM »
I am slowly reading a book on life and terror under Stalin. A little too detailed for me. Year by year trends. There were plots against Stalin which sent his paranoia into overdrive.  Lots of evidence going both ways that he was a monster and lenient. The worst was during early 30s during collectivization. The civil war took a toll. He compared the Russians to the Germans who were mostly in favor of NAZIs who did not rely of terror mostly as they did not have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Terror-Stalins-Russia-1934-1941/dp/0300074425

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2024, 09:33:38 AM »

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 01:25:01 PM »
Ever see this?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4686844/

;D

No. Is it good? Is this one the comedy I heard about?

About the book I am reading.
Chapt 3 starts the better material around page 59. In part of a table. Pct targeted for exile /death in 1937 Moscow oblast 0.25/0.041 Leningrad oblast 0.15/0.059 in 1937. Other oblasts were mostly  less.
Then a table 1934-1938.   for all crimes, counter revolutionary crimes, convictions , executions.
For 1937-1928 respectively 1.6M, 1.4 M, 1.3M, 700K.

I think 1930-31 are not in table as part of collectivization. 1934-1938 have increasing deaths. In part maybe due to NAZI intrigue fingering innocent politicians and military.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2024, 04:40:31 PM »
Ever see this?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4686844/

;D

No. Is it good? Is this one the comedy I heard about?

About the book I am reading.
Chapt 3 starts the better material around page 59. In part of a table. Pct targeted for exile /death in 1937 Moscow oblast 0.25/0.041 Leningrad oblast 0.15/0.059 in 1937. Other oblasts were mostly  less.
Then a table 1934-1938.   for all crimes, counter revolutionary crimes, convictions , executions.
For 1937-1928 respectively 1.6M, 1.4 M, 1.3M, 700K.

I think 1930-31 are not in table as part of collectivization. 1934-1938 have increasing deaths. In part maybe due to NAZI intrigue fingering innocent politicians and military.

I thought it was hilarious...and in some respects totally believable...