Author Topic: Peter Falk  (Read 2282 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Peter Falk
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »
I think Columbo was one of television's all-time greatest characters.

Peter Falk dies at 83
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Peter Falk
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
I agree with that.

Of all the "Mystery Movie" characters, Columbo was my favorite (Banacek was a close second). That was back when network television was mostly good and entertaining. The producers of the Mystery Movie, Levinson and Link were very good at what they did and that included hiring top talent such as Falk.

From his wikipedia entry:

Falk married Alyce Mayo, whom he met when they were both students at Syracuse University,[30] on April 17, 1960. They adopted two daughters, Catherine (who is a private investigator) and Jackie. They divorced in 1976. On December 7, 1977, Falk married actress Shera Danese,[31] who guest-starred on the Columbo series on numerous occasions.

Falk was an accomplished artist. For many years he took classes at the Art Students League of New York. Examples of his sketches can be seen on his official website.

Falk was also a chess aficionado. As one example, Falk was a spectator at the American Open in Santa Monica, California, in November 1972 and at the U.S. Open in Pasadena, California, in August 1983.[32]

At a two day conservatorship trial in Los Angeles in June 2009, one of Falk's personal physicians, Dr. Stephen Read, reported Falk rapidly slipped into dementia after a series of dental operations in 2007.[33] Dr. Read said it was unclear whether Falk's condition worsened as a result of anesthesia or some other reaction to the operations, he went on to add that Falk's condition was so bad he could no longer remember the character of Columbo. Shera Danese Falk was appointed as her husband's conservator and requested the media to respect his privacy.

Falk died at his Beverly Hills home on June 23, 2011. According to his adopted daughter, Catherine Falk, the actor had been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's disease. [34][35]

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:38 AM »
He had some good roles on the big screen too.  The cabby in in It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world; Guy Gisborn in Robin and the 7 Hoods, The Jack Lemon's flunky in The Great Race and perhaps my favorite - the nutty CIA operative in The In-Laws with Alan Arkin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079336/

Dementia & Alzheimer's, ugh!  My grandmother had dementia, not good.

RIP Peter.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
He made some good Hallmark Channel movies as well.

RIP Mr. Falk; may the Angels sing you to your rest.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »
Thia one I really really feel bad about. RIP.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
Columbo is one of my all time favs. RIP.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.