Author Topic: Remember the Alamo  (Read 740 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Remember the Alamo
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
MARCH 6, 1836 - THE FALL OF THE ALAMO. Before dawn broke on the horizon, General Antonio López de Santa Anna launched the final assault upon the Texian defender...s inside the Alamo Mission. Two waves were repelled by Travis' forces before a third and final assault broke through.

In the space of an hour, Bonham, Bowie, Crockett, Travis, and scores of other defenders were killed by the Mexican forces. As is inscribed upon the Alamo Cenotaph, "They chose never to surrender nor retreat; these brave hearts with flag still proudly waving, perished in the flames of immortality that their high sacrifice might lead to the founding of this Texas."

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Re: Remember the Alamo
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Will we, their heirs, have the same courage of conviction?  I doubt we'll know until the time comes to stand up and be counted.  I might be "aged" in the view of some, but, that means that I have less need to prolong my life for less noble pursuits.  May I be blessed with the strength to prevail over fear.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »

And may we be blessed with our own Sam Houston.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
I might be "aged" in the view of some, but, that means that I have less need to prolong my life for less noble pursuits.  May I be blessed with the strength to prevail over fear.

I've lived a good life with lots of great memories. I pray I have the strength if the time comes....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
I might be "aged" in the view of some, but, that means that I have less need to prolong my life for less noble pursuits.  May I be blessed with the strength to prevail over fear.

I've lived a good life with lots of great memories. I pray I have the strength if the time comes....

Will overcomes strength or it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:12 PM »

Yep, "What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.  Dwight D. Eisenhower,January 31, 1958", and I'm not going to talk about myself in the past tense.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:04 AM »

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World:

Fellow citizens & compatriots—I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna—I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken—I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch—The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis

Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side—When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn—We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »
From History Channel.com:

Santa Anna's assumption of dictatorial power over Mexico brought him into direct conflict with a growing movement for independence in the Mexican state of Texas. During the 1820s and 1830s, large numbers of Euro-Americans had settled in the area of Texas, and many of them remained more loyal to the United States than to their distant rulers in Mexico City. Some viewed Santa Anna's overthrow of the Mexican Republic as an opportunity to break away and form an independent Republic of Texas that might one day become an American state.

Determined to crush the Texas rebels, Santa Anna took command of the Mexican army that invaded Texas in 1836. His forces successfully defeated the Texas rebels at the Alamo, and he personally ordered the execution of 400 Texan prisoners after the Battle of Goliad. However, these two victories planted the seeds for Santa Anna's defeat. "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad" became the rallying cries for a reinvigorated Texan army. Lulled into overconfidence by his initial easy victories, Santa Anna was taken by surprise at San Jacinto, and his army was annihilated on April 21, 1836. The captured Santa Anna, fearing execution, willingly signed an order calling for all Mexican troops to withdraw. Texas became an independent republic.

B.O. wif a Mexican accent . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
From History Channel.com:

Santa Anna's assumption of dictatorial power over Mexico brought him into direct conflict with a growing movement for independence in the Mexican state of Texas. During the 1820s and 1830s, large numbers of Euro-Americans had settled in the area of Texas, and many of them remained more loyal to the United States than to their distant rulers in Mexico City. Some viewed Santa Anna's overthrow of the Mexican Republic as an opportunity to break away and form an independent Republic of Texas that might one day become an American state.

Determined to crush the Texas rebels, Santa Anna took command of the Mexican army that invaded Texas in 1836. His forces successfully defeated the Texas rebels at the Alamo, and he personally ordered the execution of 400 Texan prisoners after the Battle of Goliad. However, these two victories planted the seeds for Santa Anna's defeat. "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad" became the rallying cries for a reinvigorated Texan army. Lulled into overconfidence by his initial easy victories, Santa Anna was taken by surprise at San Jacinto, and his army was annihilated on April 21, 1836. The captured Santa Anna, fearing execution, willingly signed an order calling for all Mexican troops to withdraw. Texas became an independent republic.

B.O. wif a Mexican accent . . .

Si!!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson