Topics > TEOTWAWKI

Thoughts from GI's

<< < (2/13) > >>

Pandora:

--- Quote from: John Florida on June 25, 2011, 09:24:10 PM ---We need to put a sticky on this,there is just a lot of info here to take in!! But a very interesting discussion to be had here when ever we can all be logged on. Maybe IDP Trap or Pan can try to set it up!!

Charles report me to the Mods so we know they got it. I tried to report myself but the system won't let me.

--- End quote ---

Unless you've done so already, no need; I gotcha pin right here.

Alphabet Soup:
And a very valuable discussion if they can keep their egos in check. In my personal quest for preparation tips and info I visit a great many sites. At many of them I keep seeing the "gray-man" (or alternatively “grey men”) attitude tossed off with mucho macho bravado. While I understand the need to make appropriate choices based on sitrep, the ones who would deliberately set themselves off (or worse - against) their neighbors seem the most foolish. I know it isn't scientific by any stretch, but every examination of the gray-man illustrates that it doesn't work out too good in the end.

--- Quote ---Tribes survive. Individuals become slaves or stew.

The “go it alone” individualist will be swallowed up by bad people who recognize the value of tribe. They will have pooled resources and superior manpower, as well as a command and control structure, based on…well, something. - Arctic Patriot
--- End quote ---

Facts are, we need family, friends, and neighbors. The ironic thing is that our societal inability to cope with, to deal with, and to tolerate one another is what will bring the downfall, and that in its aftermath will require its resurrection and resumption.

Unless you want to live like a caveman...

For a very short time...

Pandora:
Ironically, Gunsmith and I were discussing your point, Soup, just this morning.  Even when belonging to a church (which we don't) a sense of "community", despite the lefties touting the existence of it, is hard to find for people like us, iow - tribeless.  Once upon a time, that was supplied by family, I suppose; now, it's like-minds and as far as I know, there are no extremely compatible like-minds in our immediate vicinity.  That may come when it's "break glass" time, but the advice is to form up previously.

What I'll not put up with is a self-appointed expert ordering folks around for the sake of "being in charge with superior wisdom and skillz".  He/she is the one I'll shoot first.

rickl:
I kind of saw myself in the "gray man" descriptions, but I have no bravado about it.  It's more a "keep-my-head-down-and-hope-nobody-notices-me" sort of thing.

That's not the same as the rugged individualist who thinks he's Grizzly Adams or something.

I don't know anybody around here, and I'm a poor judge of character in any event.  (Meaning that I have a history of trusting people I shouldn't, and distrusting people I maybe should.)  So I'm just preparing to hunker down here at home and hope for the best.  If that doesn't work out, then hopefully I can at least take out some of the zombies before they get to me.

The hypothetical scenario seemed to be a Bad Thing that happened suddenly, like a nuclear attack or EMP, that caused an abrupt collapse of civilization.  Living in a peaceful suburban neighborhood as I do, I have a hard time envisioning a situation where I'd need to join a guerilla band.  I'd like to see a scenario that involves a gradual decay of civilization, which is more along the lines of what I'm expecting.

rickl:

--- Quote from: Pandora on June 26, 2011, 01:14:08 PM ---What I'll not put up with is a self-appointed expert ordering folks around for the sake of "being in charge with superior wisdom and skillz".
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much what we have now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version