Author Topic: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell  (Read 37641 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
Welcome AP, I know what feets taste like, it ain't so bad!   ::rolllaughing::

Jump on in!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

hemm

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
Hey........I seen Roy Rogers..........

good stuff!!

Offline The_Basseteer

• Newb
    • Où Sont Les Escargots D'Antan?
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
Hey People, 'The_Basseteer' here. 64 YO Male living in Green Valley , Az,  Retired Firefighter, CCW holder and Conservative before Republican.  I used to hang out in Ankle Biting Pundits until they suddenly closed up after the 2008 elections. Since then I've been in Common Ground Politics doing my very best to keep the libs there foaming at the mouth. It's so easy, they really have NO SENSE OF HUMOR. I found this place from a link in Big Journalism. Hey all I had to do was click the "I'm Human" tab and I was in.

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Welcome The_Basseteer!

We're pretty much lib-free so you can relax and kick your boots off  ::USA::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
But we do sport our own brand of feisty.  ::whoohoo::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
...Hey all I had to do was click the "I'm Human" tab and I was in.

Welcome human. Look forward to your posts. We're mostly refugees from a closed-up forum too. I'm sure you'll catch wind of it sooner or later if you hang around here.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
Hey People, 'The_Basseteer' here. 64 YO Male living in Green Valley , Az,  Retired Firefighter, CCW holder and Conservative before Republican.  I used to hang out in Ankle Biting Pundits until they suddenly closed up after the 2008 elections. Since then I've been in Common Ground Politics doing my very best to keep the libs there foaming at the mouth. It's so easy, they really have NO SENSE OF HUMOR. I found this place from a link in Big Journalism. Hey all I had to do was click the "I'm Human" tab and I was in.

Have at it and have fun. ::USA::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
don't mind the tone..............we likes it.......

::cool:: ::beertoast::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
don't mind the tone..............we likes it.......

::cool:: ::beertoast::

Aw hell, we major in it; revel in it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline fporretto

• Newb
  • Long Island's crazy libertarian-conservative
    • Liberty's Torch
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:38 AM »
Hello...Hello...Testing, one, two, three...The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog...Now is the time for all good men...Say, is this thing on?

All my best,
Fran Porretto
http://eternityroad.info
This post is programming you in undetectable ways.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
Hi, Fran!  Glad you made it here.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »
Hello...Hello...Testing, one, two, three...The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog...Now is the time for all good men...Say, is this thing on?

All my best,
Fran Porretto
http://eternityroad.info

It's been on. Welcome.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
we's a growin'.........so nice........it is..........

more please...........

Offline johnnycab23513

• Newb
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Hi! I am John, 65 years old and retired from the Navy. I was born in Hillsdale, Michigan, the home of Hillsdale College, but live in Norfolk, Virginia now. I have been conservative all my life. Conservatives tell you what you should do, while liberals tell you what you have to do. Or, conservatives tell you what they think; liberals tell you what you think.

I do comment much as I am far from being a writer, but enjoy forums such as this for the educational value. I would like to read some lib opinions, but cannot as they mostly end up with namecalling and wildly outrageous charges. If anyone knows where polite discourse from both sides breaks out on occasion, please let me know. ::facepalm::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »

Welcome, johnnycab23513, you won't find any liberals around here.  Reasonable liberals have been welcomed but none have appeared. There will be much informative Conservative dialogue, mostly polite also.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Welcome John!

I've commented elsewhere that discourse - especially of the political kind - is at an all-time low. Long ago I learned (or so I thought) that I could talk to lefties if I didn't care about "winning" the debate. I remember when I could advance opposing viewpoints on a "this is how I view it - how about you?" sort of basis. All that seems gone now.

Our perspectives have become so Balkanized that there doesn't seem to be any place with which to start. Opposing POV's are invariably launched with a prefatory insult....like saying "I'm so sure you're gonna insult me so I'm getting my licks in first". Not much that one can do with that  ::doh::

So we largely don't even try.

It's about Liberty offers a "safe Harbor" where you can "confer, converse, and otherwise hobnob with your brother wizards"

Welcome aboard!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
Hi! I am John, 65 years old and retired from the Navy. I was born in Hillsdale, Michigan, the home of Hillsdale College, but live in Norfolk, Virginia now.

Hello John.

I've been to Hillsdale many times as I have 2 who graduated from there.  And many visits to Virginia--esp. Norfolk area as my dh was born there and still has family there.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
Hi! I am John, 65 years old and retired from the Navy. I was born in Hillsdale, Michigan, the home of Hillsdale College, but live in Norfolk, Virginia now. I have been conservative all my life. Conservatives tell you what you should do, while liberals tell you what you have to do. Or, conservatives tell you what they think; liberals tell you what you think.

I do comment much as I am far from being a writer, but enjoy forums such as this for the educational value. I would like to read some lib opinions, but cannot as they mostly end up with namecalling and wildly outrageous charges. If anyone knows where polite discourse from both sides breaks out on occasion, please let me know. ::facepalm::

Welcome Johnny. I've seen your name popping up in the userlist for a while. Nice to finally see you comment! Am I correct in remembering that you had an account at the old forum too?

You don't have to be a writer to comment here, you just have to have an opinion! (Something tells me you have a few of those)  ::beertoast::

As far as polite discourse with libs... you lemme know if you find some. In the meantime, I won't hold my breath!  ::thumbsup::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Hi! I am John, 65 years old and retired from the Navy. I was born in Hillsdale, Michigan, the home of Hillsdale College, but live in Norfolk, Virginia now.

Hello John.

I've been to Hillsdale many times as I have 2 who graduated from there.  And many visits to Virginia--esp. Norfolk area as my dh was born there and still has family there.

I was just talking to my son (HS sophomore) about Hillsdale yesterday. May I ask what kind of resources one must cough up in order to send a kid there?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
I was just talking to my son (HS sophomore) about Hillsdale yesterday. May I ask what kind of resources one must cough up in order to send a kid there?

Let me begin by saying that Hillsdale is worth every single penny.
Two already graduated and the next two have already decided they want to go there too.

As you probably know they don't accept any federal funding which includes any federally-backed student loans..  They are big on providing scholarships and needs-based help.  If that's not enough they do recommend 2 or 3 specific private lenders (State of Michigan used to be one of them but as you can guess that went the way of the housing market). And they also have available private loans financed through the college itself. (We took advantage of this when we needed a little extra help--frankly, I think they don't offer this unless absolutely necessary).They also have on-campus employment (up to 10 hours a week) which they credit against the tuition bill. 

Our family is caught in the middle--my husband makes too much to qualify us for needs based money but we make no where enough to pay for even a semester ourselves. (At one point we had 2 there at the same time--fortunately they both got some scholarships)So we did take advantage of their recommended lenders.  (We could have done a home equity I suppose).

I did meet a woman once who worked for two years after high school to save the money to go to Hillsdale. In her junior year she ran out of money so she told them she'd have to quit.  Magically (this is Hillsdale) someone donated the money to pay the rest of her tuition until graduation. She was never told the donor who wanted no recognition. Okay, so that won't happen for everyone but all I can say if your son is interested in going -- Don't let the money stop you.  Get in and then talk to them about how to make it work.

yes, this decision has cost us money but we don't regret it. My oldest (now 24) often says that is was the best decision she's ever made and that she would be so stupid if she'd gone somewhere else. As far as she's concerned except for a few Christian-based schools and Hillsdale all the other colleges are the same. Same kind of profs, same books, same indoctrinations.

Visit the campus and talk to the professors and administration.  They are unlike others at other schools.
My daughters had a professor who left another school where he had worked for 20 years and had tenure so he could teach at Hillsdale.

They have a junior day to visit but you can visit any time and your son could even stay in a dorm room if he requests in advance. Or you can visit when they have their CCA events or other speakers. You can stay on campus at their Dow Conference Center (which I love to do--and check out the Heritage Room in the library--cool historic books on display).

Let me know  if you want to know more --I could go on and on! LOL!

(PS--I have a HS sophmore also)
(PPS--my other daughter just walked in  and said tell them it's the best school in the country!)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."