Author Topic: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell  (Read 37553 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
I've been receiving their "Imprimis" publication for years, courtesy of my (often frustratingly politically naive but nominally conservative) father. I read it monthly, and it served to put the school on my radar quite some time ago. Now that we're looking at college in just a couple years, the idea intrigues me a great deal. I've got a similar situation to yours - I have a sophomore and a freshman, so will need to figure out college funding for two at once. We haven't saved nearly enough.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
We haven't saved nearly enough.

Neither had we.

We don't regret our decision to take out loans and we (the kids and us) will be paying for years. 

But as our country falls apart  I believe our children will be a depository for those principles we hold dear. Frankly, they know and understand more than I did at their age. Actually, they know more now than I do!  They both took the only Constitution class required in a college (except for the military colleges), know The Federalist and anti-federalist papers. They studied western civilization from primary sources. They both studied with Victor Davis Hansen (more than once) and Dr. Folsum (you may have seen him on Glenn Beck). I've met their teachers -- many of them are very accomplished and well-known in their field of study -- they love what they're doing and are truly interested in their students and could teach any where. Of course, many would fall into the conservative label but my daughter's music teacher (of course  ;)) wasn't, others are more libertarian and a few are liberal leaning. 

They recite the Pledge of Allegiance before events and before every parent dinner I've been to they said grace. At graduation, convocation, etc there's a prayer and the Pledge.

Getting a good ACT score is very important not only for getting in but for receiving scholarships. Know that if for the freshman year you don't get the financial aid package you'd hope for the student can always meet and ask for more assistance for following semesters.  When my very involved on campus daughter needed a bump in help she was told she'd get additional help-- "You've invested in the college and we'll invest in you."

YMMV I hope I haven't oversold it but have encouraged you to investigate how to make it work if they're at all interested.

They don't called themselves a conservative college. They stress they are an independent, liberal arts school. Their theme is "Educating for Liberty"
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
If there's any interest at all then request some info on their website.  Sometimes Hillsdale has events around the country for perspective students.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »
Look on the bright side. When Obama's hyperinflation kicks in, you will be able to write a check for all that college tuition that you owe. Student loans of $100,000.00? No problema. Whip out the checkbook. Just make sure you have $10,000.00 left over to fill up the Suburban with some petrol . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »
Look on the bright side. When Obama's hyperinflation kicks in, you will be able to write a check for all that college tuition that you owe. Student loans of $100,000.00? No problema. Whip out the checkbook. Just make sure you have $10,000.00 left over to fill up the Suburban with some petrol . . .

::rolllaughing::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
One more thing:

Hillsdale has a shooting sports center  ::whoohoo::

http://www.hillsdale.edu/about/construction/current/firearms.asp

Both my daughters took classes in personal safety which included practice shooting and one also took a class devoted to shotguns.

::cool::

Offline sablegsd

• Newb
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
Hello.    ::USA::

Looking forward to exploring the site.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »

Hello to you!

Explore away.  You may even be tempted to add yer two cents.  ::beertoast::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

Cool!Jump in.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
Welcome sable. Let us know if we can be of any assistance. Enjoy!
 ::beertoast::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janny

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
Well, now there are more newbies so I don't feel like such a noob anymore. Welcome!

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »
So...  exactly how has this site been up?

Oh...  Hello everybody!!  :)
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »
Hi Ben, welcome.  We are all conservative refugees from a previous site that, well, traces back to the old PowerLine Forum days.  The "How We Got Here" thread that Trap kicked off goes into a lot fo that if you're interested to go back and explore it.  Agian, welcome and please feel free to dive tight in!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Libertas, I read that thread and posted my first post there (brief profile of me).
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
A ha, I see that now!

I am former Navy, my Dad was former USAF (Korea) and I have other services scattered about here and there in our family!  Always good to see another vet concerned about our country!

::USA::

And please feel free to talk about beautiful women anytime!  I might be middle aged but I ain't dead!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline danielhill2008

• Newb
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
Please don't fire me.  I got a message that I need to comment or be purged.  I come here occasionally to lurk and read (and laugh at times), but frankly I spend more time at other blogs/forums, usually RedState, which is where I originally discovered this new forum, in a post by IDP.  Anyway, carry on.  I'll try to be a more faithful and productive member in the future. ;)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »
Please don't fire me.  I got a message that I need to comment or be purged.  I come here occasionally to lurk and read (and laugh at times), but frankly I spend more time at other blogs/forums, usually RedState, which is where I originally discovered this new forum, in a post by IDP.  Anyway, carry on.  I'll try to be a more faithful and productive member in the future. ;)

No worries Daniel. Be here when you want to be here - we'd love to have you. My purges are only for accounts that have never been used. Someday I might get around to purging accounts that have gone unused for a long time, but right now I'm only concerned with purging accounts that have been registered and never used at all.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »
Better yet Daniel - join in! Your commentary can't possibly any more irrelevant (or irreverent) than mine.  ::thumbsup::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
Better yet Daniel - join in! Your commentary can't possibly any more irrelevant (or irreverent) than mine.  ::thumbsup::

I can only agree with half your statement. That may be a first.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »

I can only agree with half your statement. That may be a first.

then we'll leave it to Daniel to figure out which (if either) is true  ;D