Author Topic: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell  (Read 37625 times)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: Well well well........New "Blog" Smell
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
Can we have larger avatars?

That's on my list. All I know right now is that this is what they call "open source" code, and there are supposedly a lot of user mods or "hacks" out there to make changes. I won't know what those are, or how feasible it is for me to try to implement them until I get the attention of a forum software support person, and as I mentioned elsewhere, while the hosts have 24/7 server monitoring technicians, their actual forum support is basically a M-F 9-5 operation. Which I welcome. It means we're dealing with a business that's got better things to do than worrying about spying on behalf of political correctness.

I used the 10 pt font size option on this to see how it looks.....
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
Is that size=3, 4 or what?

I've given up on "font" and have gone to increasing the page-print to 125%.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I haven't changed any font sizes.  I'm using whatever the default is and it looks OK to me.

ETA:  I'm using Safari as a browser, and there are buttons at the top of the window to enlarge or reduce the font size if I need to.  So I don't have to monkey around with the settings here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:11:47 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
Is that size=3, 4 or what?

I've given up on "font" and have gone to increasing the page-print to 125%.

It looks like the default for regular posts is "9", and the default for quoted text is "8". Their using standard font pt size (like in microsoft word) as opposed to the custom 1-6 sizes they used at the old place.

I like the looks of 10pt. I think I'll see if I can find a hack to make all entered text default to 10 pt.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

I may have misstated a while ago.

The font sizes and the proportion between statements and quotes is fine for me.  I haven't changed settings and use Firefox.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
Just for the hell of it, here is some background regarding font sizes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_size

Yes, I do this for a living.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Just for the hell of it, here is some background regarding font sizes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_size

Yes, I do this for a living.

Printer?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
Yes, I work in a small printing shop.  It'll be 21 years next month.

I don't run the presses.  I do what used to be called typesetting, but is now usually called "prepress".  I don't call myself a graphic designer, though.  I'm not very artistic.

When I started in 1990, my employer had just bought a Macintosh computer with a 12" black & white screen and a 20 MB hard drive.  I made backup copies of customer files on floppy disks.

ETA:  Oh, by the way, when the Texas Air National Guard memo kerfuffle happened in 2004, I was highly amused to see the IBM Selectric Composer mentioned in the MSM.  That was what predated computers for typesetting, and I've actually used it.  We still have one, but it's under a dust cover and hasn't been used in years.

ETA2:  I think my boss said it cost about $5000 in the 1970s.  I'll have to double check that figure with him.  If true, it's absolutely shocking how modern computers are so much cheaper and can do so much more than mere typesetting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:30:36 AM by rickl »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
Can we have larger avatars?

That's on my list. All I know right now is that this is what they call "open source" code, and there are supposedly a lot of user mods or "hacks" out there to make changes. I won't know what those are, or how feasible it is for me to try to implement them until I get the attention of a forum software support person, and as I mentioned elsewhere, while the hosts have 24/7 server monitoring technicians, their actual forum support is basically a M-F 9-5 operation. Which I welcome. It means we're dealing with a business that's got better things to do than worrying about spying on behalf of political correctness.

If you run across any mods, or have ideas for things you would like to modify, I will be glad to help. My day job is IT and I develop web applications for my company's internal uses (which means they don't have to be pretty, which is good because I am for sure no artist). I write them in ASP.NET and C#, but learning PHP (this forum is written in it) wouldn't be much of a problem. It's all conceptually very similar.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
Suck my chakra, Patrick Clinger.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »
Last post there, first post here.  Good morning!

17" of Patrick Clinger fresh on the ground, re-covering all those frozen mounds of Patrick Clinger in my back yard.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 08:38:45 AM »
I would just like to thank everyone who got this new site off and running. I just found out about it early this morning. If you need contributions to keep this site going please let me know. I will be happy to contribute.

I am going out to shovel because the climate here did not get the message that there is global warming.  I cannot think of a better way to start the day off than shoveling almost 20 inches of snow in late February. :'(

Thanks again....................
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:50:48 AM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »
Okay...

I'm here so the party can now officially get started.  Just kidding.

I will have to check out for a fairly large chunk of the day because of work related stuff.

Good job on getting things up and running, IDP.  This probably would have taken me days longer and we didn't exactly have that much time.

Everyone remember to leave your parting message to proboards over at the old site.  I would be telling them about how much I appreciate the liberal attitude toward tolerance and how much they appreciate diversity of thought and expression. 

Welcome to all who have made it so far and I hope to see many more of you before the week is out.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
Heh.

I love Clinger jokes!

I hate stepping in Clinger though, hope that washes off!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
Hello,

I've joined the fracas!!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
Greeting Gunsmith!

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Hello,

I've joined the fracas!!

We could use a gunsmith around here.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Janny

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
Thank you!!Welcome aboard!!How did you find us??

I was on the other board, which I found through HotAir. I got the email about the switch, so here I am. I will try to come around here more often.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »

I was on the other board, which I found through HotAir. I got the email about the switch, so here I am. I will try to come around here more often.
Yes, I recognize your email address. You posted a few times at the other board under a different name. Your contributions are welcome! Thank you for being here.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »

Heh.  Avatar - "Official Seal of the U.S. Liar-In-Chief"!

I like it!  Welcome and drop by often!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.