Author Topic: Thread for tools  (Read 1736 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Thread for tools
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Thread for tools
Post by nolan on Apr 19, 2010, 9:50pm

No, wait a minute! Don't mis-interpret!

Anyway, Pan, I've used Stihl and think the'yre pretty good, no complaints, but my Husqvarna has been a workhorse and I wouldn't buy anything else. A little heavy, but it makes up for that with power, I think. And I'm guessing you sharpen your own chains, yes? A Dremmel w/ attachment or something similar is worth the money.

Also, there was some mention of Generator brands, portable ones, on the other thread. Does anybody have suggestions for make/ rating?
Even if I get advice on what to avoid, I'd appreciate it.

The HAM set might have to wait. The dishwahser is starting to crap out and it got bumped up on the list.
I'll buy the 2d edition of that book for the Tech's lic., I guess. It's good for the test administered after 7/1/10.Re: Thread for tools
Post by gunsmith on Apr 20, 2010, 5:00pm

I've heard good things about Stihl & Husqvarna and I'll probably be getting one of them. I hand file to sharpen the chains I need to invest in a tool.

Generators no one brand name stands out as better than another what I can say is if the motor is 8hp or higher invest in the electric start. Pull starting them gets old very quickly.

As much as I love power tools in a SHTF situation when power is at a premium having hand tools and the skills is the way to go.
Re: Thread for tools
Post by johnflorida on Apr 20, 2010, 5:41pm

Both great saws. But you have to pay attention to engine and bar sizes. Had to say that it makes me feel better.

Nolan you have to decide how much you want to run with a Generator.

Mine is a Dyna American made is important to me. I have a 10K surge with 9K continuous power. Output is 34amps at 220 and 60+at 110. 16 horse V twin Brigs overhead valves and forced oiling system.

The biggest waste of money is a idle down feature that would cost around 100.00 that you don't need to spend.Re: Thread for tools
Post by nolan on Apr 20, 2010, 7:31pm

Gunsmith, I imagine we'll be doin' lots of stuff the ol'fashioned way! Our 'free' time will be plucking chickens, standing watch or sharpening saw blades and chains! I was fortunate enough to have been raised right and have picked up a few good skills.
JF is right, bar size/engine size ratio is important. An underpowered anything sucks! Invest in a large amount of bar oil and stabilizer, spare parts....wait, sorry, I know you know this!
One question though...how does an electric starter work on a gen. if the power's out? Battery operated? Rechargable?

American made is a big decider for me too, JF. That one you list sounds like it'll handle residential requirements jsut fine. I'll look at it closer. Thanks.Re: Thread for tools
Post by johnflorida on Apr 20, 2010, 7:59pm

Apr 20, 2010, 7:31pm, nolan wrote:
Gunsmith, I imagine we'll be doin' lots of stuff the ol'fashioned way! Our 'free' time will be plucking chickens, standing watch or sharpening saw blades and chains! I was fortunate enough to have been raised right and have picked up a few good skills.
JF is right, bar size/engine size ratio is important. An underpowered anything sucks! Invest in a large amount of bar oil and stabilizer, spare parts....wait, sorry, I know you know this!
One question though...how does an electric starter work on a gen. if the power's out? Battery operated? Rechargable?

American made is a big decider for me too, JF. That one you list sounds like it'll handle residential requirements jsut fine. I'll look at it closer. Thanks.

Battery operated. Or you can jump it off your car battery but have to have the battery cables on the Generator. My generator batteries always go to hell on me so I jump it off me lawn tractor. I can't pull start a 16 horse motor.Re: Thread for tools
Post by nolan on Apr 20, 2010, 9:34pm

OK! Thanks.Re: Thread for tools
Post by rd on Apr 20, 2010, 10:08pm

If you don't cut wood for a living, Craftsman is my choice.Re: Thread for tools
Post by johnflorida on Apr 20, 2010, 11:37pm

Apr 20, 2010, 10:08pm, rd wrote:
If you don't cut wood for a living, Craftsman is my choice.

I have a 20 year old one in my garage right now. Back in the day I cut 8/9 cords a year for my house in Conn. 3.8 c.i. motor 18 inch bar. Worked well for me.Re: Thread for tools
Post by rd on Apr 20, 2010, 11:46pm

Apr 20, 2010, 11:37pm, johnflorida wrote:

Apr 20, 2010, 10:08pm, rd wrote:
If you don't cut wood for a living, Craftsman is my choice.

I have a 20 year old one in my garage right now. Back in the day I cut 8/9 cords a year for my house in Conn. 3.8 c.i. motor 18 inch bar. Worked well for me.
Not sure on the ci but it's a 16" bar and since we went to propane for the convenience of us "older folks" I don't need to cut wood anymore. I am a great good (don't want to get too cocky ;) ) 'chainsaw carpenter' though. Re: Thread for tools
Post by johnflorida on May 19, 2010, 9:18am

Apr 20, 2010, 11:46pm, rd wrote:

Apr 20, 2010, 11:37pm, johnflorida wrote:

I have a 20 year old one in my garage right now. Back in the day I cut 8/9 cords a year for my house in Conn. 3.8 c.i. motor 18 inch bar. Worked well for me.
Not sure on the ci but it's a 16" bar and since we went to propane for the convenience of us "older folks" I don't need to cut wood anymore. I am a great good (don't want to get too cocky ;) ) 'chainsaw carpenter' though.

The point here was that you buy the saw you need not the one that makes you feel good. Brands names are nice but of you're not going to cut a lot don't buy a Rolls of saws. Size matters and too big is just that much heavier to work with.

If you've never worked with a saw you will see what I mean day one.If you need a 16 inch bar don't buy a 20.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"