Author Topic: Veteran Arrested for Passport Fraud: Checked Wrong Box  (Read 811 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Veteran Arrested for Passport Fraud: Checked Wrong Box
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
First of all, this story, as reported, does not pass the smell test. According to the Jacksonville, FL News, veteran Elisha Dawkins, "a Navy reservist and decorated Army combat photographer who served in Iraq, is in jail, charged with passport fraud. He's facing 10 years in prison for what could be a simple misunderstanding." What did he do?

In 2004, Dawkins began a U.S. Passport Application. He never completed that one, and a couple years later in 2006, he again applied for a passport. He checked a box "No" when it asked "Have you ever applied before (for a passport)?"

Something is not right here. According to the article, Dawkins has been in jail for over two months waiting for a trial on Passport Fraud charges. No bail? Something is wrong here, and I'm guessing it's not bureaucratic malpractice.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/28373245/detail.html
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Re: Veteran Arrested for Passport Fraud: Checked Wrong Box
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
Check the comments at the link:

You say he served honorably because the story told you so. I served with this guy in Iraq and I'll tell you his service was less than honorable. So much so that he was denied any service awards upon his return from overseas. However, that's not the point of the story. I think it's very curious that they issue a warrant and arrest him 5 YEARS after he applied for and received his passport. Sure, the reason they give is that he lied on the application. Really? So, 5 Years later they're going to make an issue of it? There has got to be more they're not telling us. Now, back to my original point about this guy's character, if there is more to the story I won't be a bit surprised. I would never want to serve with this guy again. Ever.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
I don't know anything about this guy, but I find it interesting that citizens can go to prison for lying to the government, yet that hardly ever happens to government officials who lie to citizens.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
Whjy isn't this surprising? But I have to tell that the smell test is failing. ::thinking::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
give it 48 hours........there's more to this.......

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
In 2004, Dawkins began a U.S. Passport Application. He never completed that one, and a couple years later in 2006, he again applied for a passport. He checked a box "No" when it asked "Have you ever applied before (for a passport)?"

If he didn't complete it he didn't submit it if he didn't submit it he broke no law. Lazy fffffffouled up media.  Yeah, there will be more and it will be different.

Some way the military should follow up with their guys after they separate.  A no man left behind thing.  The Marines could start in Arizona right now and it looks like, who?, the Army has a place to start also.  The media always looks to scape the military and this would be a good way ....... I wonder if any reporters have been interviewed by Navy or AF intelligence?  Bet those little grapes would just withdraw right up through the i rings.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
Sloppy-ass journalism as usual, if we cannot even get basic facts straight we have no way of knowing if there was an earlier application or not, if there is bureaucratic malfeasance or something else entirely.  This one needs to go back into the oven and cook some more, the Easy Bake method failed big time on this batter...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.